AJ Savage - "Dremel Queen"

AJ Savage - "Dremel Queen"

May 13th, 2012, 9:56 pm #1

I'm slowly proceeding with my first vacuform.
I had always wanted to build one since the times of Chris Ellis books back in the Seventies, when his skills made vacuforms look an easy way to model such exotic subjects like the Martin Mauler, Horten IX, Fairey Firebrand, U-2 and many other, that were only available from Airmodel, Execuform, Rareplanes and a few others. In a certain way, this build is a necessity: I feel like I would never be a "complete" modeler without having tamed at least one vacu kit. On the other hand, my big brother gave me a lesson - actually building (and very cleanly building) a few 1/72: Ikarus IK-3, Lippish DM-1, IAR-80. I am still waiting him to finish his Airmodel 1/72 Horten IX, started back in the middle '80s... Are you reading, PP ?
By the way, this would be an happy modeler if any main plastic injection brand would produce a 1/48 Fairey Firefly Mark.V or a Fairey Firebrand, both Sabre and Centaur powered. Am I the only one?

Back to the AJ Savage. I "dremelled" open the front gear pit and jet exhaust, being careful not to exceed in removing the plastic.
For the exhaust tube, I thinned the edges of an Aluminium tube, first roughtly with an X-Acto knife, then Dremelled the edges and finished with sandpaper (various grades). It will be cut approx. at 1 cm leght, closed on one side with a printed representation of the engine.

The right fuselage is almost ready for closing. I fixed the cockpit using some plastic-card supports:

Note the position of the nose gear box, that I rebuilt from plastic card.

Behind it, barely visible is a heavy duty steel nail as a ballast to keep the kit from being a tail-sitter.
Considering the ballast already packed in the nose section, this will be a rather heavy kit.

Inside the fuselage jet opening I glued some sections of toothpick as guides for firmly fixing the exhaust section. They will prevent the exhaust section from falling inside the fuselage once this will be closed - a catastrophic eventuality.

May 15th, 2012, 6:14 pm #2

May 15th, 2012, 8:50 pm #3

Actually, once the parts are cut, cleaned and prepped, it looks to be like an average late '60s kit. I feel my Novo-Frog Firefly Mk.I and Esci MiG-27 correction were much harder to tame...

May 16th, 2012, 9:00 pm #4

I'm slowly proceeding with my first vacuform.
I had always wanted to build one since the times of Chris Ellis books back in the Seventies, when his skills made vacuforms look an easy way to model such exotic subjects like the Martin Mauler, Horten IX, Fairey Firebrand, U-2 and many other, that were only available from Airmodel, Execuform, Rareplanes and a few others. In a certain way, this build is a necessity: I feel like I would never be a "complete" modeler without having tamed at least one vacu kit. On the other hand, my big brother gave me a lesson - actually building (and very cleanly building) a few 1/72: Ikarus IK-3, Lippish DM-1, IAR-80. I am still waiting him to finish his Airmodel 1/72 Horten IX, started back in the middle '80s... Are you reading, PP ?
By the way, this would be an happy modeler if any main plastic injection brand would produce a 1/48 Fairey Firefly Mark.V or a Fairey Firebrand, both Sabre and Centaur powered. Am I the only one?

Back to the AJ Savage. I "dremelled" open the front gear pit and jet exhaust, being careful not to exceed in removing the plastic.
For the exhaust tube, I thinned the edges of an Aluminium tube, first roughtly with an X-Acto knife, then Dremelled the edges and finished with sandpaper (various grades). It will be cut approx. at 1 cm leght, closed on one side with a printed representation of the engine.

The right fuselage is almost ready for closing. I fixed the cockpit using some plastic-card supports:

Note the position of the nose gear box, that I rebuilt from plastic card.

Behind it, barely visible is a heavy duty steel nail as a ballast to keep the kit from being a tail-sitter.
Considering the ballast already packed in the nose section, this will be a rather heavy kit.

Inside the fuselage jet opening I glued some sections of toothpick as guides for firmly fixing the exhaust section. They will prevent the exhaust section from falling inside the fuselage once this will be closed - a catastrophic eventuality.

Nice subject

I'm still a bit vac shy - so I think I prefer the Mach 2 route

Please treat your build well, take it to town - I'm sure Revell will release one once you're done

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / Plastic Stories

1/72 - Special Hobby - TT-1 Pinto : Part I (incl Panthers Cup 2012 show report)
1/72 - Airfix/Jo-Han - Mitsubishi Zero/Rufe conversion: Part I
1/72 - Airfix - Hawker Hurricane Mk.I : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV /end (incl. Model Force 2012 show report)

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God