Airfix Tomahawk: Now with Stickers!

Airfix Tomahawk: Now with Stickers!

January 20th, 2012, 3:03 am #1

Got the major deck-ulls on the Tomahawk (all that's left are the stencils.) All are from the kit, except for the wing insignias, which came from an old Superscale sheet (so old it's probably actually Microscale.) The blue in the Airfix insignias is much to light and intense..I think Superscale looks much more accurate. The kit decals look a bit thick, but snuggled down just fine with a liberal application of Solvaset. The print quality is also very impressive..detail is crisp and registration flawless.

The upper wing decals gave me some fits. Since they were so old I coated them with some liquid decal film so they wouldn't shatter, but this made them thick and not very responsive to solvent. My first attempt was a disaster, forcing me to sand down the wings and repaint. For the second attempt I used super hot water and laid them over a mixture of Solvaset and white glue. They conformed better, but still didn't snuggle into the panel lines as well as I wanted. I ended up running (shameless plug alert) John Vojtek's Wonder Scriber along the panel lines and touching up the insignias with a brush. The sharkmouth was also a bit tricky, and required a bit of touchup as well. Tip: I cut off the black bit that runs around the bottom edge of the intake and painted it..a lot less headache than trying to get the decal to conform to a compound curve (same reason I painted the fuselage stripe.) Anyway, I hope to get the whole thing wrapped up this weekend.

SN

January 20th, 2012, 3:09 am #2

I agree with you on those markings, great save you did there.....
finished post next week then? Oh-boy.....

Thanks,
Allan

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Multiple Mosquito Build, 1/72: Intro Part 1 Part 1.5 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Fini

Fathers Day A6M2: Intro Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Finish

Airfix Stuka 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Finish

Airfix Hurricane 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Finish

Airfix Orion III: Build Tutorial Finish

January 20th, 2012, 3:28 am #3

Got the major deck-ulls on the Tomahawk (all that's left are the stencils.) All are from the kit, except for the wing insignias, which came from an old Superscale sheet (so old it's probably actually Microscale.) The blue in the Airfix insignias is much to light and intense..I think Superscale looks much more accurate. The kit decals look a bit thick, but snuggled down just fine with a liberal application of Solvaset. The print quality is also very impressive..detail is crisp and registration flawless.

The upper wing decals gave me some fits. Since they were so old I coated them with some liquid decal film so they wouldn't shatter, but this made them thick and not very responsive to solvent. My first attempt was a disaster, forcing me to sand down the wings and repaint. For the second attempt I used super hot water and laid them over a mixture of Solvaset and white glue. They conformed better, but still didn't snuggle into the panel lines as well as I wanted. I ended up running (shameless plug alert) John Vojtek's Wonder Scriber along the panel lines and touching up the insignias with a brush. The sharkmouth was also a bit tricky, and required a bit of touchup as well. Tip: I cut off the black bit that runs around the bottom edge of the intake and painted it..a lot less headache than trying to get the decal to conform to a compound curve (same reason I painted the fuselage stripe.) Anyway, I hope to get the whole thing wrapped up this weekend.

SN

the wing roundels actually were very faded. I was surprised at how light they had become, so Airfix must have been looking at the smae photos. On the other hand, authentic or not, I would personally use some a bit darker. After all, they didn't fade overnight. Looks good.

January 20th, 2012, 4:51 am #4

SN

That is a lovely clean build, Steve - well done.n/t

January 20th, 2012, 7:31 am #5

SN

That does look closer to the blue of the Nat. Chinese insignia, n/t

January 20th, 2012, 7:53 am #6

SN

and I totally agree with the roundel colours

Neil

If you wake up in the morning feeling like you've had it, be grateful.

http://www.neilscrim.co.uk

January 20th, 2012, 9:47 am #7

SN

Super paint job! Down to the finish line!

Stuart

January 20th, 2012, 12:35 pm #8

SN

Masterful assembly work. Really extraordinary. n/t

January 20th, 2012, 10:59 pm #9

SN

Looks so slick and really well executed. Can't wait to see it all done and strafing some airbase...

Cheers.

Regards,

Dan From Tacoma, Washington USA

January 21st, 2012, 3:20 pm #10

SN

s