Airfix Spitfire XII in progress

Airfix Spitfire XII in progress

March 14th, 2012, 7:53 pm #1

This is my first Airfix since I was a little kid. I've upgraded the kit significantly with some aftermarket pieces and parts. I thought a lot of the sidewall detail on the kit was soft, so I ground off everything from the fuselage forward of the seat bulkhead with a dremel. I then used the resin sidewalls from an old Cooper Details Spitfire Cockpit set. I rebuilt the stringers with Evergreen strip. The instrument panel is from Eduard. I scratch built the floor/rudder control rods with evergreen rod/strut and a couple of watch parts. The seat is from Ultracast. I used the kit bulkheads, drilled out the lightening holes and detailed them. I used solder to replicate electrical and hydraulic lines. It was painted with acrylics, given a wash and hit with a flat coat. It was tricky to make sure that everything lined up and fit with the fuselage put together. The gunsight and control column will go in just before I put the canopy on. Hopefully I'll have the seam work finished and have it ready for paint shortly.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

March 14th, 2012, 7:55 pm #2

Any thought about those deep panel lines on the exterior?

Great work, and well-photographed. Thanks for posting!

david

March 14th, 2012, 8:26 pm #3

This is my first Airfix since I was a little kid. I've upgraded the kit significantly with some aftermarket pieces and parts. I thought a lot of the sidewall detail on the kit was soft, so I ground off everything from the fuselage forward of the seat bulkhead with a dremel. I then used the resin sidewalls from an old Cooper Details Spitfire Cockpit set. I rebuilt the stringers with Evergreen strip. The instrument panel is from Eduard. I scratch built the floor/rudder control rods with evergreen rod/strut and a couple of watch parts. The seat is from Ultracast. I used the kit bulkheads, drilled out the lightening holes and detailed them. I used solder to replicate electrical and hydraulic lines. It was painted with acrylics, given a wash and hit with a flat coat. It was tricky to make sure that everything lined up and fit with the fuselage put together. The gunsight and control column will go in just before I put the canopy on. Hopefully I'll have the seam work finished and have it ready for paint shortly.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
;lkj;l

So a friend says: "cheer up things could be worse; so I cheered up and sure as hell Things Got Worse!

March 14th, 2012, 9:50 pm #4

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
r

March 15th, 2012, 1:23 am #5

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
I've got this one in my stash, so I am really excited to see this build. Thanks for posting, really awesome work!

March 15th, 2012, 3:27 am #6

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
My, oh my...that is sensational. So well done. n/t.

March 15th, 2012, 7:17 am #7

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
thats a real difference in the kit detail, well worth the effort, well done

regards gk

March 17th, 2012, 6:00 pm #8

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Cameron,

Drop me an E-mail please.

Thanks,

M.

It's good to have a friend here at my shoulder with a little time to spend, til I find love again -F. C. Collins W. C. Bickhardt