Airfix pre formed sails

Airfix pre formed sails

July 5th, 2018, 2:52 pm #1

HI I have an early release of the Golden Hind from Airfix. Bit of a loft find here.
Kit seems to be all there but the sails seem to have split and have a set of small holes in them.
Can these be fixed or do I have to make it as a "sail less ship". These are very thin and I am worried if I use normal glue they will melt.
I await your answers on baited breath. Alfie  

July 5th, 2018, 4:33 pm #2

If the holes aren't too large, white glue is your friend here. It will dry transparent and can be lightly sanded. For the splits, patching is the only thing I can think of. Remember that real sails were heavily patched and re-sewn; that was the sail-makers' job. I'd use the thinnest, strongest fabric I could find, perhaps silk, and experiment to get the right touch.

July 5th, 2018, 7:07 pm #3

Thanks for that. Thought white glue would be in there somewhere, but never thought of the fabric. Alfie

July 6th, 2018, 3:02 am #4

IIRC, FineScale Modeler magazine had an article in the past few months regarding using the vac formed plastic sails as formers for tissue paper replacements
Grammar: The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you’re shit.

July 12th, 2018, 6:18 am #5

I'd prob do as EG suggests.

My path would be use the kit sails to form plaster male or female molds. I'd prob go the male plaster mold route. Heavy paint to seal and provide a smooth surface to make removal of the new sails EZer. Lay one sheet, or broad strips (to mimic sections of the real sails), of tissue, tp, tissue wrap, or such. Finer weave the better. Spray/brush on diluted Elmer's white glue.When dry and hard, trim w/ sharp sm curved manicure scissors.

If back filled w/ clay, maybe you can use the kit sails as the molds and skip the plaster stages.