Airfix Hawker Hart - back to bare plastic..

.

Airfix Hawker Hart - back to bare plastic..

Joined: April 19th, 2005, 12:34 am

June 4th, 2018, 7:31 am #1

Hello fellas..

There are so many ways to strip paint from a plastic kit, I found numerous You tube tutorials on the the subjects, heaps of them! I didn't know you could paint strip a kit using Dettol!! There are even products specifically for the modeller to strip paint from kits with, one by Deluxe products but it was something like AUD$21.00 to buy here in Australia!!

In the end I opted for an oven cleaner, the one most recommended was Mr Muscle, however the local supermarket did not stock it so I bought a bottle of bleach and a oven cleaner called Easy Off .... So I gave the oven cleaner a go and you know it lived up to it's name.. it was easy off! Mind you I made sure I wore rubber gloves and a mask, caked the kit in the stuff, left it for half an hour and got my (old) trusty tooth brush and scrubber the paint off, I had to do this three times but as you can see from the photos she is back to baring her all...


I have taken photos to show clearly what she now looks like, there are globs of glue on most parts...and the putty shows up quite clearly, but you can see all the detail of the original kit!! I think she is restorable but I am not sure I would disassemble the kit totally I am thinking of just tidying up the glue bits, the join lines and a bit of tweaking here and there oh and some rigging! might even chuck in a couple of chaps and new scare gun...
_DSC4406.JPG
_DSC4397.JPG _DSC4394.JPG _DSC4393.JPG
_DSC4392.JPG _DSC4391.JPG
Ah, they don't make em like they used to..... etc...
_DSC4405.JPG
_DSC4406.JPG
_DSC4406.JPG
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: February 27th, 2005, 7:19 am

June 4th, 2018, 2:02 pm #2

Simon - You gave that macro lens a great workout; nearly forensic detail. And I have to say, the original parts are really nice - with the obvious exception of the ejection pin marks - which are an artefact of contemporary injection mould engineering. And whoever built this kit did a nice job with the kit geometry, limited by the tools and glue of the age. Thanks for sharing. 
   
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: August 20th, 2010, 11:34 am

June 4th, 2018, 10:00 pm #3

That has really cleaned up well Simon I'm amazed at your being able to get all that old paint off so well. This should be a great blank canvas for whatever scheme you select.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: June 12th, 2008, 8:08 pm

June 4th, 2018, 10:18 pm #4

I've used the oven cleaner route as well, actually Easy Off which is everywhere here in the States. Automotive brake fluid works pretty well too. Just let it soak overnight and next morning the paint is floating off. Another product you may be able to find that works  well, especially cleaning up old clear bits is Castrol Super Clean.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: April 23rd, 2018, 1:21 am

June 4th, 2018, 11:13 pm #5

That brings back memories. I've two original Hart kits on the shelf. One as the bomber option and one as an interim type issued to the Aux. air force squadrons that were forming as fighter squadrons during the 30s rearmament. 
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: March 9th, 2008, 11:37 am

June 5th, 2018, 9:26 am #6

That's unbelievable: totally clean and not a minimal damage to the plastic. This oven cleaner works magic.
I agree with you: a total dismantle seems not the case here: if I were you, I would just remove the tail struts and whatever is an obstacle to a good cleaning of the ejector marks and the old glue smear.
I'm curious of your next step.
Massimo LaCivita
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: April 19th, 2005, 12:34 am

June 5th, 2018, 11:07 pm #7

TonyRigby wrote: Simon - You gave that macro lens a great workout; nearly forensic detail. And I have to say, the original parts are really nice - with the obvious exception of the ejection pin marks - which are an artefact of contemporary injection mould engineering. And whoever built this kit did a nice job with the kit geometry, limited by the tools and glue of the age. Thanks for sharing. 
Thanks Tony,
Yes I do agree the alignment of parts is very good, excuse the pun but like you it does scrub up rather well considering the vintage!
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: April 19th, 2005, 12:34 am

June 5th, 2018, 11:09 pm #8

gcarter17 wrote: That has really cleaned up well Simon I'm amazed at your being able to get all that old paint off so well. This should be a great blank canvas for whatever scheme you select.
    Hi Graham,Have to say I was quite surprised that all the paint came off so cleanly, I did it in two stages the top first and then the underneath... even the yellow came off easy and normally this is a tough colour paint (along with silver) to remove. Nice term and appropriate 'blank canvas'...
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: April 19th, 2005, 12:34 am

June 5th, 2018, 11:13 pm #9

Massimo LaCivita wrote: That's unbelievable: totally clean and not a minimal damage to the plastic. This oven cleaner works magic.
I agree with you: a total dismantle seems not the case here: if I were you, I would just remove the tail struts and whatever is an obstacle to a good cleaning of the ejector marks and the old glue smear.
I'm curious of your next step.
Hi Massimo,
It stunned me as well, the result was better than I expected!  Your thoughts about removing the tail struts are a good idea I may well do that, I do want to reduce the glue blobs and add a rear gun... and possibly reg the kit.. and then maybe some current and appropriate blokes.. Certainly want to clean up any faults such as mould lines and gaps etc. But I am away for the next week and a half so more progress for a little while.
regards
Simon
Quote
Like
Share