Airfix Hawk 81 DONE

Airfix Hawk 81 DONE

March 8th, 2012, 5:01 am #1

Got the new Airfix Tomahawk finished. A great kit, and a wonderfully trouble-free build. The only extras I added were tape seatbelts, a chunk of clear stock inside the windscreen to represent the armor glass, an MV lens landing light (because I lost the kit part) and some wedges of plastic card between the cowl flaps. Unfortunately, I didn't discover until after painting decaling that that there's not supposed to be a panel line on the chin, but it's too late to fix it now.

The kit decals went on beautifully..the only aftermarkets I used were some old Superscale wing insignias. The panel lines are a bit heavy, but don't look too bad after painting and clearcoating. I added some exhaust, oil, and gun stains, and some "chipping" using a silver Prismacolor pencil. I may add a bit more weathering, and I'd like to get a PE ring sight, but for now I'm calling it done.

Cheers!

Steve

March 8th, 2012, 7:34 am #2

Well done Steve.. looks smashing!

March 8th, 2012, 9:36 am #3

Got the new Airfix Tomahawk finished. A great kit, and a wonderfully trouble-free build. The only extras I added were tape seatbelts, a chunk of clear stock inside the windscreen to represent the armor glass, an MV lens landing light (because I lost the kit part) and some wedges of plastic card between the cowl flaps. Unfortunately, I didn't discover until after painting decaling that that there's not supposed to be a panel line on the chin, but it's too late to fix it now.

The kit decals went on beautifully..the only aftermarkets I used were some old Superscale wing insignias. The panel lines are a bit heavy, but don't look too bad after painting and clearcoating. I added some exhaust, oil, and gun stains, and some "chipping" using a silver Prismacolor pencil. I may add a bit more weathering, and I'd like to get a PE ring sight, but for now I'm calling it done.

Cheers!

Steve

It would seem that with care the panel lines are manageable, good job, n/t

March 8th, 2012, 10:08 am #4

When I eventually tackle one of these new Airfix kits, I'm inclined to try some of that Mr. Surfacer stuff, if I can get some. There is no way those lines would look acceptable (to me) using an airbrush.

Good result Steve.
Last edited by morgandude on March 8th, 2012, 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 8th, 2012, 10:46 am #5

Cheers!

Steve

What did you use for the light under the wing?

March 8th, 2012, 10:55 pm #6

Cheers!

Steve

It looks great - and somehow your panel lines don't seem to be that deep and big, you treated them well

I'm jealous of your exhaust stains, I never can seem to get this right

Really great job Steve

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / Plastic Stories

1/72 - Special Hobby - Bolton Paul Balliol T.2 : Part I - Part II
1/72 - Airfix - Hellcat : Part I
Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

March 9th, 2012, 1:07 am #7

Cheers!

Steve

Excellent job Steve, really sweet looking P-40.
I have the same sheet for the wing markings, they work perfectly. My own build may move up in the line after seeing yours !!!
So what's next for us?.....

Thanks,
Allan

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Multiple Mosquito Build, 1/72: Intro Part 1 Part 1.5 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Fini

Fathers Day A6M2: Intro Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Finish

Airfix Stuka 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Finish

Airfix Hurricane 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Finish

Airfix Orion III: Build Tutorial Finish

March 9th, 2012, 5:28 am #8

Cheers!

Steve

Beauteous paint and weathering! I really want one of these (Do you hear me, Hong Kong hobby shops?!)

Stuart

March 9th, 2012, 6:15 am #9

What did you use for the light under the wing?
I used an MV products lens for the landing light. You can find them in the model RR section of the hobby shop. They're basically a little blob of clear acrylic painted silver on one side. They look nice, althugh they're not quite accurate for a retractable landing light, since they're convex, while the real light was flush with the wing surface. I would have simply used the kit part with some Bare Metal Foil on the back, but I lost it, and I happened to have an MV lens of the correct size handy.

SN

March 9th, 2012, 6:17 am #10

Cheers!

Steve

I think Airfix has finally given us 1/72 buildters a "definitive" early P-40.

SN