Airfix Folland Gnat

Airfix Folland Gnat

April 9th, 2012, 4:00 am #1

Just got my Folland Gnat kits (in the USA) and I must say that the description of the overdone scribing, is really 'overdone'. The sprue attachment points are a bit thick, but this doesn't affect the final product.

It looks to be a smashing kit build for only $7.50! So cheap I purchased 2! I will do one in Yellow Jacks color.

Anyone have a good idea of the shade of Yellow used by the Yellow Jacks? Its a bit a lemon yellow...

kww

April 9th, 2012, 10:01 am #2

John Adams on the Aeroclub Gnat quoted BS .391c/356 Golden Yellow.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/inde ... ellowjacks Suggests Humbrol 69 for the current painted plane - but this may not be the original colour.

April 9th, 2012, 3:36 pm #3

Just got my Folland Gnat kits (in the USA) and I must say that the description of the overdone scribing, is really 'overdone'. The sprue attachment points are a bit thick, but this doesn't affect the final product.

It looks to be a smashing kit build for only $7.50! So cheap I purchased 2! I will do one in Yellow Jacks color.

Anyone have a good idea of the shade of Yellow used by the Yellow Jacks? Its a bit a lemon yellow...

kww
Especially around the intakes.

April 9th, 2012, 11:52 pm #4

You get the GEAR UP option! I love it! Birds were meant to fly, even Gnats!
Thanks for the link on the build. Looks like the intake and the wing/fuselage joint will need slight shimming.
Thanks

April 10th, 2012, 10:15 pm #5

Especially around the intakes.
Is a 1/48th scale version

Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

"In this modern world of ours that spins as fast as these propellers do, if a man can cook, or fly, or play the guitar, he will be happy and never go hungry." "Where's Joe Merchant" Jimmy Buffet ©1992
Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

"The more I deal with people, the more I like my dog."

April 11th, 2012, 3:58 am #6

You get the GEAR UP option! I love it! Birds were meant to fly, even Gnats!
Thanks for the link on the build. Looks like the intake and the wing/fuselage joint will need slight shimming.
Thanks
...but the position of the fuselage wall (inner intake) parts is critical or they interfere with the intakes and canopy.

Usual deal, test fit. Don't recall needing to do more fettling than a couple of scrapes with the blade.

All on hold now for 6-10 weeks while I deal with a bit too much actual work

Shane

April 11th, 2012, 4:22 am #7

Is a 1/48th scale version

Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

"In this modern world of ours that spins as fast as these propellers do, if a man can cook, or fly, or play the guitar, he will be happy and never go hungry." "Where's Joe Merchant" Jimmy Buffet ©1992
with decals for the Indian version that actually did some fighting.

April 13th, 2012, 7:31 am #8

Looks like with a new wing sprue, there is a single seater coming???

April 16th, 2012, 4:31 pm #9

Lot of differences.