Airfix Bf110 to Fw190 in 30 hours...

Airfix Bf110 to Fw190 in 30 hours...

March 12th, 2012, 10:02 am #1

Hello all,

So I have a clear weekend (apart from clearing the gutters and cooking). I had painted up my Dinah frames and white band and put a final coat of green on the Spitfire, using enamels, and I was watching paint dry:

What could I do with my modelling time that was quick and easy for the weekend? I had an idea. I would start with an Airfix Bf110 and convert it to an Fw190. First I would select the parts I needed from the source kit:

Now that I had pilot and bomb, I could gather some accurate references, material and tools together to get started:

I had just carved the instrument binnacle out of balsa when I remembered a source of spare parts that might help:

A Frog Fw190 kit, bought for the princely sum of £1 exactly at Telford last year. No pilot, no cockpit, no wheel wells, but it probably matched my plans exactly! It went together well and needed only a bit of filler here and there. The next morning, I sanded it down and thought about how to paint it.

I didn't want to add to my drying enamels collection, so I dug out some old acrylics from the shed. There were some "JP" acrylics and an assortment of hobby jars and the tiny jars that come with starter sets. All way over ten years old and subject to seasonal frost. Nothing daunted, I mixed the "Sky" colour with a spot of blue, and then the "Drab Green" with a spot of yellow and then black. Six hours later (in between chores), I had a result:

You can see the balsa instrument binnacle in the last shot. The Frog decals shattered on me, so they are here courtesy of 40 year old decals from a Frog Bf410, an Airfix Storch and a Fujimi Jagdtiger, all applied using the "Malcolm Future Puddle" technique directly over the paint. Acrylic matt varnish over the lot to pull it all together. I learned that yellow is a rotten colour in any medium, and that I can't draw wheel well covers very well!

Oh, and if you are careful with your Bf110 donor kit, you have enough parts to assemble into a model (undercoated in enamel and on the drying pile!):

So an interesting experiment: acrylics, quick (a true weekend build), Airfix parts count five (including two decals and two arms). I'm not sure I like acrylics - it's like painting with solidifying wax so you have to be quick and watch out for the skin that forms.

Er, proper modelling (or as close as I get) resumes next week...

Thanks for looking,
Adrian

March 12th, 2012, 11:06 am #2

Great fun Adrian - that's what this hobby and forum are all about! n/t

March 12th, 2012, 10:02 pm #3

Hello all,

So I have a clear weekend (apart from clearing the gutters and cooking). I had painted up my Dinah frames and white band and put a final coat of green on the Spitfire, using enamels, and I was watching paint dry:

What could I do with my modelling time that was quick and easy for the weekend? I had an idea. I would start with an Airfix Bf110 and convert it to an Fw190. First I would select the parts I needed from the source kit:

Now that I had pilot and bomb, I could gather some accurate references, material and tools together to get started:

I had just carved the instrument binnacle out of balsa when I remembered a source of spare parts that might help:

A Frog Fw190 kit, bought for the princely sum of £1 exactly at Telford last year. No pilot, no cockpit, no wheel wells, but it probably matched my plans exactly! It went together well and needed only a bit of filler here and there. The next morning, I sanded it down and thought about how to paint it.

I didn't want to add to my drying enamels collection, so I dug out some old acrylics from the shed. There were some "JP" acrylics and an assortment of hobby jars and the tiny jars that come with starter sets. All way over ten years old and subject to seasonal frost. Nothing daunted, I mixed the "Sky" colour with a spot of blue, and then the "Drab Green" with a spot of yellow and then black. Six hours later (in between chores), I had a result:

You can see the balsa instrument binnacle in the last shot. The Frog decals shattered on me, so they are here courtesy of 40 year old decals from a Frog Bf410, an Airfix Storch and a Fujimi Jagdtiger, all applied using the "Malcolm Future Puddle" technique directly over the paint. Acrylic matt varnish over the lot to pull it all together. I learned that yellow is a rotten colour in any medium, and that I can't draw wheel well covers very well!

Oh, and if you are careful with your Bf110 donor kit, you have enough parts to assemble into a model (undercoated in enamel and on the drying pile!):

So an interesting experiment: acrylics, quick (a true weekend build), Airfix parts count five (including two decals and two arms). I'm not sure I like acrylics - it's like painting with solidifying wax so you have to be quick and watch out for the skin that forms.

Thanks for looking,
Adrian
That rocks Adrian - I like these kind of experiments, it's good for the skills

And doing a Fw-190 in a weekend with all that mottling is not so easy, but you pulled it magnificently - and did it together with a new Me-110... you sure were productive

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / Plastic Stories

1/72 - Special Hobby - Bolton Paul Balliol T.2 : Part I - Part II
1/72 - Airfix - Hellcat : Part I - Part II

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

March 13th, 2012, 12:27 am #4

Hello all,

Thanks for looking,
Adrian
I have 2 of those FROG 190's, one even has the markings molded in.
You had a great, productive weekend !!!!

Thanks,
Allan

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Multiple Mosquito Build, 1/72: Intro Part 1 Part 1.5 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Fini

Fathers Day A6M2: Intro Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Finish

Airfix Stuka 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Finish

Airfix Hurricane 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Finish

Airfix Orion III: Build Tutorial Finish