Airfix 48th TSR-2. Anyone built it?

Airfix 48th TSR-2. Anyone built it?

March 19th, 2011, 7:48 pm #1

What are the pitfalls of this kit?

How are the decals (I want to built one of the aircraft that actually flew.) If I screw 'em up, is there a back-up plan of decal for actual aircraft??

I build models with the canopy closed and wonder if the interior needs an update set??

I have the SAC land gear and Quickboost vents. What else would be prudient??

TIA

Bo
Last edited by jabow on March 19th, 2011, 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 19th, 2011, 8:37 pm #2

I guess its a step above resin or vacuuform but its not an easy build or highly detailed. Poor fit, poor detailing. It was designed to be a limited run kit and it shows. Decals in the original issue were not great and in the case of some kits, missing. Its in the ball park with their Buccaneer and Tornado
Last edited by djnick66 on March 19th, 2011, 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 19th, 2011, 9:00 pm #3

I just finished the Airfix B-57 and wonder if this is in the same class??

Bo

March 19th, 2011, 9:56 pm #4

Depends how much you want a TSR-2. You might ask on the Airfix page here also

March 20th, 2011, 1:41 am #5

How are the decals (I want to built one of the aircraft that actually flew.) If I screw 'em up, is there a back-up plan of decal for actual aircraft??

I build models with the canopy closed and wonder if the interior needs an update set??

TIA

Bo
I have that 1/48 TSR.2 on deck to start next. My expectations aren't too lofty, though. I'd just like to get a decent airframe built with minimal added detail. Someone gave me a couple of CMK resin sets for it a few years back. It will just be for my own shelf...no contest quality on that one.
I'm sure I'm going to be taken aback somewhat as I am finishing up one of the gorgeous 1/32 Tamiya Spit. IXs, where everything fits together and lots of detail included.

Rick in Maine

March 20th, 2011, 4:11 am #6

nt

March 20th, 2011, 8:27 pm #7

TIA

Bo
Airfix kits are can be variable in quality, dependent on era, etc. But, the results obtained largely depend on the modellers' willingness to roll up their sleeves and simply have a go. The results can be seen in the forum posts. Post your efforts there - I'm sure they will be well received.

March 21st, 2011, 2:46 am #8

TIA

Bo
but it does have potential if you're willing to be patient. Aftermarket accessories is a good idea, though the landing gear seem strong enough. I should finish mine one of these days.

March 21st, 2011, 3:02 pm #9

Done with SNJ or Talon???
Hub

Any day above ground is a good one!!!
If anything in the above post offends you, I suggest you grow a thicker skin!!!
If anything in the above post offends you, I suggest you grow a thicker skin!

March 21st, 2011, 3:32 pm #10

TIA

Bo
It's a 1960's era jet and if this model had come out in the 1960s I'm sure it would have been "Kit of the Year". However, that was 50 years ago...

Wolfpack has done a really nice cockpit set and a set of wheels is coming out this month.

I replaced the plastic pins for the horizontal and vertical tails with brass rod (and am glad I did).

There are depressions on the bottom of the horizontal tails on the opposite side of the large humps on the top that you'll probably want to fill.

Mate the wings to the fuselage BEFORE you glue the top and bottom fuselage bits that bracket the wing. Put them on to help correct alignment, but the front bit especially fits slightly lower than the ajoining wing and will need filling if you glue it on first.

Although the Cosford jet is displayed with all the MLG doors open, but on the real jet, they were only open for maintenance or when the gear cycled.

Is it a great kit--no. But it isn't horrible and will be impressive when its done.