Airfix 1/48 Lynx

Airfix 1/48 Lynx

April 10th, 2012, 10:29 am #1

Anyone building one of these? I can't seem to find any pics online of the kit or builds apart from the interior of the AH-7 on Britmodeller.

What do you think of these kits? I would like to get both if they are good but I will wait for the AH-7 to be released with vehicles!

April 10th, 2012, 12:45 pm #2

I have the naval version ,definately one worth having ,I would even go so far as to say the best yet from the Big A

"Do not panic Flight Mechanic,the Fitter 2 will see you through"

April 10th, 2012, 2:09 pm #3

This is the Lynx I want to do.

I always thought that that Blue the Danes used on their Lynx is very cool.

Saw these in Keflavik, Iceland a couple of times.

Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

"In this modern world of ours that spins as fast as these propellers do, if a man can cook, or fly, or play the guitar, he will be happy and never go hungry." "Where's Joe Merchant" Jimmy Buffet ©1992
Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

"The more I deal with people, the more I like my dog."

April 10th, 2012, 2:18 pm #4

I have the naval version ,definately one worth having ,I would even go so far as to say the best yet from the Big A

"Do not panic Flight Mechanic,the Fitter 2 will see you through"
The Airfix niggles (over-heavy surface detail and sprue attachment points) have been addresed, and the resulting kit is up to Tamigawa standards. On a fairly thorough examination of my sample, the only niggles that I could find were the 50 cal MG (barrel detail a bit bland) and the crew seats (moulded-on seat belts, optional armoured flight crew seats a bit heavy)but these are easly to address. Many people will also want to replace the intake grilles (moulded in clear plastic) with etch.

Buy with confidence.

Cheers,

Chris.

April 10th, 2012, 3:45 pm #5

This is the Lynx I want to do.

I always thought that that Blue the Danes used on their Lynx is very cool.

Saw these in Keflavik, Iceland a couple of times.

Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

"In this modern world of ours that spins as fast as these propellers do, if a man can cook, or fly, or play the guitar, he will be happy and never go hungry." "Where's Joe Merchant" Jimmy Buffet ©1992
The Oxford Blue (BS.381C/105) that the British Royal Navy used on their Lynx? The Danes call it "Oxford Blue", but their color number is 45015. I think it's the same color.
Last edited by 66018 on April 10th, 2012, 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 10th, 2012, 7:24 pm #6

The Airfix niggles (over-heavy surface detail and sprue attachment points) have been addresed, and the resulting kit is up to Tamigawa standards. On a fairly thorough examination of my sample, the only niggles that I could find were the 50 cal MG (barrel detail a bit bland) and the crew seats (moulded-on seat belts, optional armoured flight crew seats a bit heavy)but these are easly to address. Many people will also want to replace the intake grilles (moulded in clear plastic) with etch.

Buy with confidence.

Cheers,

Chris.
Thanks a lot for the replies. I will get the navy one straight away!

I wonder if the Danish blue (not the cheese) is the same as the RN blue they used on the Lynx in the 1970s?

April 11th, 2012, 12:54 am #7

...that the Navy Lynx that Airfix has released is a later version (HMA.8 I think) which is quite different from those that Denmark uses

Shane

April 11th, 2012, 1:36 am #8

Albeit the later mk 90B version.

Would have been nice to see an Aussie version, but then you bought the SH-2G.....

April 11th, 2012, 12:31 pm #9

...that the Navy Lynx that Airfix has released is a later version (HMA.8 I think) which is quite different from those that Denmark uses

Shane
it would be fairly easy to re-release it with extra sprues as one of the earlier versions. A resin/ white etal convesion set would also be a possibility, albeit an expensive one.

April 11th, 2012, 12:37 pm #10

Shane
on the Isle of Portland, Dorset, and as a kid, saw blue-painted Wasps, Wessexes, Sea Kings and Lynxes pretty much every day in the 1970s. To my eye, the blue used on the Danish Lynx in the photo is identical.

Cheers,

Chris.