Airfix 1/48 B-57G Review/Build......

Airfix 1/48 B-57G Review/Build......

February 19th, 2011, 10:43 pm #1

Is there a warts and all reveiw/build of the Airfix 1/48 B-57B Canberra out there in Cyberspace? I've had a search but can't seem to find one?

Thanks,
Andy

February 20th, 2011, 7:21 pm #2

Try Cybermodeler.com,nt

February 20th, 2011, 10:08 pm #3

Is there a warts and all reveiw/build of the Airfix 1/48 B-57B Canberra out there in Cyberspace? I've had a search but can't seem to find one?

Thanks,
Andy
one of the "warts" for the whole B-57 Airfix series is the almost toylike cockpit. Fortunately there is aftermarket available (PE and resin) to remedy some of this, but not IIRC, for the G. Pavla has done a very nice resin cockpit/nav position for the PR 9 recce version. I scratchbuilt my G cockpit (Collect-Aire kit; see HS archives), since the Airfix release was at the time wayyyy off.

Bondo Phil
Last edited by bondo455 on February 20th, 2011, 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 21st, 2011, 8:56 pm #4

I was aware of crappy cockpit, heavy scribing on tail and inaccuracies around tailplanes.Was just wanting to now if there were any specific issues about B-57 versions as I have plenty info on RAF ones but hardly anything on US ones. I had heard a suggestion that the wing skinning, and hence panel lines, where different on Martin built aircraft? Also is the shape of nose and sensors on B-57G correct?

Thanks,
Andy

February 22nd, 2011, 2:04 am #5

one of the "warts" for the whole B-57 Airfix series is the almost toylike cockpit. Fortunately there is aftermarket available (PE and resin) to remedy some of this, but not IIRC, for the G. Pavla has done a very nice resin cockpit/nav position for the PR 9 recce version. I scratchbuilt my G cockpit (Collect-Aire kit; see HS archives), since the Airfix release was at the time wayyyy off.

Bondo Phil
Or does it replace a host of horrors with other problems?

The three most worthless things in aviation: sky above, runway behind & fuel in the truck.

Bryant

February 22nd, 2011, 2:05 am #6

Bondo Phil
A really bad idea!

The three most worthless things in aviation: sky above, runway behind & fuel in the truck.

Bryant
Last edited by 86Sabreboy1 on February 22nd, 2011, 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 22nd, 2011, 3:23 am #7

Or does it replace a host of horrors with other problems?

Bryant
I've adapted the Classic Airframes B-57 fuselage/cockpit to the giant Collect-Aire resin "F" wings, vertical fin and nosecone. It works, but is only about 60% finished. Had to scratchbuild new fan nacelles (C-A's were significantly inaccurate), etc.

Phil
Last edited by bondo455 on February 22nd, 2011, 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 22nd, 2011, 10:27 am #8

Thanks,
Andy
I'm collecting the parts to make an Airfix B-57B. The Airfix kits have fairly simplified parts and the cockpit of the B-57B kit is poor. I'll also be using the CMK resin cockpit to deal with the pit issue, although Eduard also has a PE cockpit out, the Two Mikes set to correct the tailplanes and rudder, the CMK wheel set, Aires wheel wells, and SAC metal gear, mostly for the nose gear due to the weight needed to make it a non-tail sitter. I'll be building it with the bomb bay closed, since their bay has only 4 attachments for the large (1000 lb?) British-style bombs in the kit. 750-lb bombs or BLU-27 napalm tanks from the Hasegawa weapons set will go under the wings. Also, I'll have to drill cannon ports in the wings as the kit lacks the wing armament. Hopefully with the SAC gear and not thinning the plastic to install the Aires nosewheel well, I'll be able to replicate the nose down stance of the B-57 as the kit sits level.

Although I prefer the G model, it's pretty poorly done in the kit. The killer to me is that the undernose EO package looks very undersized, being not wide enough and too short front to back. Plus, it's missing the snorkel air intakes on the sides of the nose, as well as almost all of the antennas carried on the -G. IMHO, the 1/72 Testors/Italeri kit is the best way to a -G model.
Last edited by dwill104 on February 22nd, 2011, 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 22nd, 2011, 2:45 pm #9

I was aware of crappy cockpit, heavy scribing on tail and inaccuracies around tailplanes.Was just wanting to now if there were any specific issues about B-57 versions as I have plenty info on RAF ones but hardly anything on US ones. I had heard a suggestion that the wing skinning, and hence panel lines, where different on Martin built aircraft? Also is the shape of nose and sensors on B-57G correct?

Thanks,
Andy
In a word: crap. I personally provided them with numerous photos, drawings and research, which they completely disregarded. As Dave Williams states below, the Testors 1/72nd B-57G is FAR more accurate than the Airfix kit.

February 22nd, 2011, 3:57 pm #10

Thanks,
Andy
Initially 4 x .50 cal in each wing, later replaced by 2x 20mm cannon. Because of this, the wing panel lines were different. Airfix totally missed this and just used the same unarmed British Canberra wing in the kit. In addition, the holes they tell you to open up for the underwing pylons are incorrect. There are four flashed over holes and they tell you to open the middle two, which is incorrect. You need to open up the outer two. The inboard pylon should about line up with the outer flap/inner aileron line. In other issues, the nose is one piece, which is nice for lacking a seam to deal with, but it's completely smooth, so there is no scribing denoting the large hatch on top of the nose.