Aires P-51D wheel bay

Aires P-51D wheel bay

April 28th, 2012, 2:43 pm #1

is the Aries 1/48 P-51D wheel bay #4219 the correct configuration with the main spar aligned with the leading edge of the wing?
a big thanks!

April 28th, 2012, 3:10 pm #2

good luck trying to get it to fit. I had to sand the top of the Aires part until it was less than paper thing and then the inside of the top of the wing too. It still left a 2 mm gap at the leading edge. I ended up trimming some of the thickness off of the bottom of the Aires part to make it fit, losing some of the detail.

NOT highly recommended by this modeler.

Take a look at the Vector replacement part instead.

http://www.ultracast.ca/products/Vector ... efault.htm

It is better to be the stomper rather than the stompee!
It is better to be the Stomper rather than the Stompee!

April 28th, 2012, 3:22 pm #3

i tried the Vector and ended up trashing the kit, the first time that I have trashed a kit, i did save the aires interior parts, but the wings were hopeless! i had sanded the resin part down to see thru status and still could not get the wings to come together right, too bad because the resin parts add such good detail.

April 28th, 2012, 3:30 pm #4

good luck trying to get it to fit. I had to sand the top of the Aires part until it was less than paper thing and then the inside of the top of the wing too. It still left a 2 mm gap at the leading edge. I ended up trimming some of the thickness off of the bottom of the Aires part to make it fit, losing some of the detail.

NOT highly recommended by this modeler.

Take a look at the Vector replacement part instead.

http://www.ultracast.ca/products/Vector ... efault.htm

It is better to be the stomper rather than the stompee!
I'm pretty much done with Aires. Their stuff is beautiful to look at, but I've yet to run across one of their sets, particularly wheel wells, that begins to remotely fit the kit it's allegedly designed for. The Vector wheel wells are gorgeous and they fit.

April 28th, 2012, 4:17 pm #5

P-51D wheel bay? if so any tips on sanding it and getting it to fit?

April 28th, 2012, 4:17 pm #6

I'm pretty much done with Aires. Their stuff is beautiful to look at, but I've yet to run across one of their sets, particularly wheel wells, that begins to remotely fit the kit it's allegedly designed for. The Vector wheel wells are gorgeous and they fit.

April 28th, 2012, 5:05 pm #7

...they are meant to fit very well if you follow the instuctions:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/m ... 486730/Fit

April 28th, 2012, 5:53 pm #8

You need to remove plastic from the inner surfaces of the kit wings. Proceed carefully, taking care not to remove too much. If done properly the resin is a drop fit. I was initially stumped with how to install this set until I obtained a copy of the instructions (which weren't included with the sets I bought).

April 28th, 2012, 7:10 pm #9

i tried the Vector and ended up trashing the kit, the first time that I have trashed a kit, i did save the aires interior parts, but the wings were hopeless! i had sanded the resin part down to see thru status and still could not get the wings to come together right, too bad because the resin parts add such good detail.
You don't need to sanding resin parts at all.
Just remove plastic from the inner surfaces of the kit wings (not much in fact):

And here you are:

Sergey.

April 28th, 2012, 7:11 pm #10

The Vector wells are indeed much better than Aires but they're also a bit tricky to install.
You will not need to sand everything down risking to go through the wings but some sanding will be needed.
The trickiest part is the adjustment of the little spar between the two wells, Vector makes you cut it off the kit, I'm not sure it's the best solution.
You will also need to get rid of some of the plastic between the wing and fuselage (behind the well bays).
Finally check the dihedral, the vector bays tend to make it look a bit flat.
None of this is really difficult to adjust but it will take some time and care.
It still is much easier than installing the Aires bays and the result looks better.

Christian A.
Christian A.