AIM-9M Sidewinder Question from a non jet guy....

AIM-9M Sidewinder Question from a non jet guy....

July 25th, 2011, 11:47 pm #1

I'm researching the F-22. I have the Hasegawa 1/48 scale kit. It comes with a load of AMRAAMs and AIM-9X Sidewinderss. As I understood it the F-22 carries AIM-9Ms. (I could be totally wrong). If this is correct; are any -9Ms available or can a -9X or -9J be converted into a -9M? Thanks for any input.
TIA,
-DCJ

July 26th, 2011, 12:04 am #2

The -9X is the newest seeker head and guidance unit and is being phased in as the dominant variant. The F-22 as the brand new Air Force toy is certainly be equiped to carry them. In fact, I'm not sure it can carry the -9M...some sources on the internet claim the larger fins of the -9M won't fit in the F-22 side bays. I haven't seen this claim from any credible sources, so I'm not so sure about that.

In terms of converting a -9X to a -9M, it would be tough. The fins are all much larger on the -9M and a completely different shape. The seeker head is a bit different in contour as well. Anything can be done, but it won't be simple.
Last edited by ESzczesniak on July 26th, 2011, 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 26th, 2011, 12:16 am #3

I'm researching the F-22. I have the Hasegawa 1/48 scale kit. It comes with a load of AMRAAMs and AIM-9X Sidewinderss. As I understood it the F-22 carries AIM-9Ms. (I could be totally wrong). If this is correct; are any -9Ms available or can a -9X or -9J be converted into a -9M? Thanks for any input.
TIA,
-DCJ
Not sure why they cant.I was going to ask why but never did.Maybe someone who knows will chime in.

July 26th, 2011, 12:49 am #4

Is that they F-22's couldn't carry them initially. I believe it was software related. There was much discussion about this 4-5 years ago. My understanding though is that F-22's have now been upgraded to carry the AIM-9X. As best as I know, there was never a structural/physical issue carrying them.

July 26th, 2011, 2:29 am #5

Not sure why they cant.I was going to ask why but never did.Maybe someone who knows will chime in.
IIRC, the AIM-9X requires the use of the off-sight camera cueing helmet system (I can't remember the name of the helmet, but it is the type to be used with the F-35). For some reason, the F-22 doesn't use this latest helmet, probably due to funding issues or maybe the helmet wasn't far enough along to be included in the Raptor.

I remember years ago when I was in a B-1B unit and the Bones were constantly denigrated because they couldn't carry conventional weapons at the time, but it wasn't a "fault" of the aircraft, rather that the aircraft program wasn't budgeted for dumb bombs--just like buying a new car and deciding not to pay for the DVD player, you can't play DVDs then. Of course Congress later budgeted for conventional weapons on the Bone. Funny, now they "can't" carry nuclear weapons, only conventional.

Cheers,
Don

July 26th, 2011, 2:42 am #6

when I watched Weapons load AIM-9Xs on my jet back when I was on the program. Sure did, but it was a Flight Test Airframe. AIM-9X is not currently approved for operational jets, but it's only a matter of time before AIM-9X will be. Without getting into details, there are some integration issues to work out.

"I am a "Realist". I see and call things as they are, not how I want them to be."

Some people just don't get it - "apologist

July 26th, 2011, 7:02 am #7

they have to get them back in the air first I'd think...

July 26th, 2011, 7:56 am #8

did see Ship 9 take off today

"I am a "Realist". I see and call things as they are, not how I want them to be."

Some people just don't get it - "apologist

July 26th, 2011, 5:22 pm #9

TIA,
-DCJ
The AIM-9M is an updated AIM-9L, and is externally the same. The "Mike" has better IR countermeasures and a low-smoke rocket motor than the "Lima". The AIM-9M-9 was a further update of IRCM capability in the mid-'90s, and is (AFAIK) the current USAF AIM-9M configuration.

Todd Enlund

"Bandits at 3 O'Clock"
"Roger. What should I do 'till then?"
Todd Enlund

"Bandits at three o'clock."
"Roger. What should I do 'till then?"

July 27th, 2011, 12:22 am #10

TIA,
-DCJ
Thanks everybody! n/m