AFV Club F-5F Kits

AFV Club F-5F Kits

May 9th, 2012, 1:09 am #1

I figured out why we don't see more of them built. They are really nice kits, except for when you get to the canopies -- OUCH! AFV Club saw fit to place a mold line at the leading edge of the front canopy and the trailing edge of the rear canopy, INSIDE THE CLEAR AREA, about a 16th of an inch from the canopy frames. Why they have these mold lines or could not run the lines on the frame edge instead of inside the clear area is beyond me.

The discerning modeler (like me) would have to remove these unsightly lines. Most modelers will think twice before sanding the clear parts. Had I not just this week taken the plunge and made the kits "unboxable" by attaching the vertical tails, I might have just reboxed them and relegated the kits to the Shelf of Doom.

Since I already have too many "unboxable" kits on the Shelf of Doom, I spent the last couple nights carefully carving, then gently scraping, followed by sanding down to 1000 grit paper, then polishing, and finally dipping in Future. Two kits under way makes for four canopies needing attention. My nerves are shot, but the canopies are fixed.

Feels good to have them addressed. They are not perfect, but they are way better than what the mold lines looked like that the kit provides running through the edges of the glass.

Next up, tomorrow, after the Future sets overnight, I need to get the glass attached and masked so I can start my favorite part of aggressor models, some camouflage painting.

<font size="5" face="Brush Script MT" color="#0000C0">
DWA

Happiness is NOT ... Getting what you want.
Happiness is     ...     Wanting what you've got.
</font>

May 9th, 2012, 9:55 pm #2

I have the VF-111 Sundowner's version on order from Lucky.

I'm finishing up the AFV F-5E right now (in Aggressor colors) and found it very nice.

Disappointing to hear of the issues with the canopies. Doesn't give me much encouragement.

May 9th, 2012, 10:12 pm #3

... I mean, the kit otherwise is beautiful, like the F-5E. You could leave the canopies alone and just build and paint them, but the mold lines come off looking sort-of like frames that were not masked correctly.

While my post sounds bad, it was really only about an hour's work to correct each set of canopies.

DWA

</font>

May 9th, 2012, 10:57 pm #4

http://www.falconmodels.co.nz/clearvax/set52.html

My girl - well she's kind of an ugly girl. But,that's O.K. I like ugly girls. Because pretty girls can do anything, but ugly girls have to do everything.
-John Birks "Dizzy" Gillespie

May 10th, 2012, 1:15 am #5

The F-5F is the two seater. That Falcon set only has single seaters.

DWA

</font>

May 10th, 2012, 2:55 am #6

I figured out why we don't see more of them built. They are really nice kits, except for when you get to the canopies -- OUCH! AFV Club saw fit to place a mold line at the leading edge of the front canopy and the trailing edge of the rear canopy, INSIDE THE CLEAR AREA, about a 16th of an inch from the canopy frames. Why they have these mold lines or could not run the lines on the frame edge instead of inside the clear area is beyond me.

The discerning modeler (like me) would have to remove these unsightly lines. Most modelers will think twice before sanding the clear parts. Had I not just this week taken the plunge and made the kits "unboxable" by attaching the vertical tails, I might have just reboxed them and relegated the kits to the Shelf of Doom.

Since I already have too many "unboxable" kits on the Shelf of Doom, I spent the last couple nights carefully carving, then gently scraping, followed by sanding down to 1000 grit paper, then polishing, and finally dipping in Future. Two kits under way makes for four canopies needing attention. My nerves are shot, but the canopies are fixed.

Feels good to have them addressed. They are not perfect, but they are way better than what the mold lines looked like that the kit provides running through the edges of the glass.

Next up, tomorrow, after the Future sets overnight, I need to get the glass attached and masked so I can start my favorite part of aggressor models, some camouflage painting.

DWA

</font>
like the overly round upper corners of the nose, the intake shapes, and the fat spine? Curious as not much has been said about them, yet from certain angles they stand out like quite a bit.

Something is funky with my AFV F-5 canopy too. It looked to me like a "cold flow" line at first.

Mike V

"I am a "Realist". I see and call things as they are, not how I want them to be."

May 10th, 2012, 7:38 am #7

DWA

</font>
I'm by no means an expert but I just came off an AFV Club F-5 build a couple days ago and found it to be one the best fitting kits and accurate I have ever built. The final images are posted around page 3 in the Plastic Pic forum.

I did the N model but I'm confident you are seeing the same thing as the single seat canopy.

About the canopy seams you are talking about. When I first saw the canopy I was a bit confused myself. After a bit of research I found that I believe AFV intentionally moulded them into the canopy. If I'm not mistaken you are talking about what appears to be a shadow line running along all of the frames about 1/32" thick. This represents the rubber gasket that lines the frame where the glass meets. Here are a few pictures that may help clear it up. I also used the Eduard maks and it included two masks. One smaller one that is applied that you then spray the rubber gasket color. Then the larger one overlaps the gasket to spray the frame.

I did not use the smaller mask. I masked the interior of the glass and them painted the gaasket color to the shadow line I think is in question. Then I masked the outside and painted the frame. The results were fantastic and my finished canopy represented well what I saw in my reserach photos.

Once painted these lines disappear and look very accurate to me.

Again, I'm no expert, but I think this is what you are seeing.

See the gasket that runs forward of the frame...you see the same mould line in the kit part.

[/IMG]

See the thin gray gasket around the interior of the canopy frame...same on the kit mould...

[/IMG]

Here are a couple images from my finished canopy..I used a gray for the gasket color.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

My finished build..just because I love how the AFV kit came out.

[/IMG]

Hope this shed a little light on the issue.
Last edited by rhinolover on May 10th, 2012, 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 10th, 2012, 3:17 pm #8

like the overly round upper corners of the nose, the intake shapes, and the fat spine? Curious as not much has been said about them, yet from certain angles they stand out like quite a bit.

Something is funky with my AFV F-5 canopy too. It looked to me like a "cold flow" line at first.

Mike V

"I am a "Realist". I see and call things as they are, not how I want them to be."
Hi Mike,

I think it has been addressed just by being mentioned by you several times. I don't think there is a way to fix it unless somebody makes a complete new resin fuselage. Not gonna happen. For me the AFV Club is an absolute gem. It may not be perfect in shape but everything else about it is awesome. I had an absolute blast building mine and I have not said that about a 1/48 jet in a long long time. (Hasegawa A-4 series). And thats what I primarily build. I had started a Tamiya 1/48 F-16 just prior to my F-5 and once I got into the F-5 the Viper went back on the shelf. Too fidly to be tons of fun. I have six of the AFV Club kits and can't wait to start the next one. Shape off a little? Yep, but it sure as hell looks like an F-5 and the joy of building it outweighs any concerns I have over that. My Monogram F-5's are going in the garbage.

Cheers,

Darren

Last edited by jettdude on May 10th, 2012, 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 11th, 2012, 12:59 pm #9

Mike V

The lower fuselage under the cockpit has a pinched in area that's not found on real F-5's

May 11th, 2012, 12:59 pm #10

Hi Mike,

I think it has been addressed just by being mentioned by you several times. I don't think there is a way to fix it unless somebody makes a complete new resin fuselage. Not gonna happen. For me the AFV Club is an absolute gem. It may not be perfect in shape but everything else about it is awesome. I had an absolute blast building mine and I have not said that about a 1/48 jet in a long long time. (Hasegawa A-4 series). And thats what I primarily build. I had started a Tamiya 1/48 F-16 just prior to my F-5 and once I got into the F-5 the Viper went back on the shelf. Too fidly to be tons of fun. I have six of the AFV Club kits and can't wait to start the next one. Shape off a little? Yep, but it sure as hell looks like an F-5 and the joy of building it outweighs any concerns I have over that. My Monogram F-5's are going in the garbage.

Cheers,

Darren

Didn't you know Daz that kits with barely perceptable flaws visible to less than 1% of the modelling community are to be castigated and vilified at every opportunity.
I have 4 and love the kit great detail and as you have demonstrated a beautiful result is the end product.
I'm sure anyone who flew one of these would be proud to have that sitting on the shelf..
Time to spare..go by air!