After being without a vehicle most of the past three weeks

After being without a vehicle most of the past three weeks

April 18th, 2012, 1:10 am #1

I got Toyoto to rent me some wheels. I have a Toyota Tundra. I mentiond several weeks ago I found out that there is a problem with some blower motors on them. Expensive to fix and just happen to crap out right when the warranty goes. It was going to cost 3 to 4 thousand dollars to fix with parts and labor, But there is a safety bullitin on this and Toyota is picking up the tab. Great right!? Well sorta. I have been waiting for three weeks now for these parts wich are on back order. I found out today my dealership has 1600 of them to replace! You are not supposed to drive the vehicle with these things not working properly so I called to ask about the parts again today and got the "we are still waiting " answer. So I said how am I supposed to work without a vehicle, you need to get me something to drive. Can't believe it but they did! No charge and an open ended rental with no time frame for return. I am hoping maybe with them renting me a truck to drive maybe mine will get repaired sooner?

Mike

April 18th, 2012, 2:41 am #2

Long story short.. Truck in body shop. three weeks of rental car.

Most rental places really don't care what car or truck you are renting. (they are getting paid).

I swapped for different cars four times. Silverado, Too big

Mid size, too small.

Mustang, just right.

Big car, too big. then the fun ended. my stoopid truck was ready.

Don't be afraid to ask for different cars or trucks. Most rental companys are ok with this.

Come on Mike, Get the Mustang.

Steve

April 18th, 2012, 2:49 am #3

or my displays for the upcoming shows in a Mustang. I tried to get a Ferrari though.

April 18th, 2012, 3:21 am #4

I want to go too!!!...

April 18th, 2012, 4:10 am #5

I got Toyoto to rent me some wheels. I have a Toyota Tundra. I mentiond several weeks ago I found out that there is a problem with some blower motors on them. Expensive to fix and just happen to crap out right when the warranty goes. It was going to cost 3 to 4 thousand dollars to fix with parts and labor, But there is a safety bullitin on this and Toyota is picking up the tab. Great right!? Well sorta. I have been waiting for three weeks now for these parts wich are on back order. I found out today my dealership has 1600 of them to replace! You are not supposed to drive the vehicle with these things not working properly so I called to ask about the parts again today and got the "we are still waiting " answer. So I said how am I supposed to work without a vehicle, you need to get me something to drive. Can't believe it but they did! No charge and an open ended rental with no time frame for return. I am hoping maybe with them renting me a truck to drive maybe mine will get repaired sooner?

Mike
Mike, if you don't mind, what year is your Tundra? I have a 2010, and have heard nothing from them about the problem you discussed. Here's hoping it won't apply to mine; I'd hate to be without it for any period of time.

An old soldier, but not faded away. Yet.

April 18th, 2012, 4:18 am #6

I gave the 2000 to my Son.

I knew nothing about this problem till it happened. The Service tech told me if the check engine light is not flashing they will not repair it. Strange thing to say since there is a safety bulletin on it and Toyota knows it is a problem. It has something to do with the feul injection system.

I need to ask my regular mechanic where he found all of the info he gave me on it. I will see whatI wil see what I can get and let you know.

Mike

April 18th, 2012, 6:02 am #7

Thanks Mike. I'll check with my dealer about the bulletin. I do like my Tundra.

An old soldier, but not faded away. Yet.

April 18th, 2012, 6:02 am #8

I gave the 2000 to my Son.

I knew nothing about this problem till it happened. The Service tech told me if the check engine light is not flashing they will not repair it. Strange thing to say since there is a safety bulletin on it and Toyota knows it is a problem. It has something to do with the feul injection system.

I need to ask my regular mechanic where he found all of the info he gave me on it. I will see whatI wil see what I can get and let you know.

Mike
The Cloud thing.
Last edited by cuzn246 on April 18th, 2012, 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 18th, 2012, 5:48 pm #9

Mike
across the street owned a Toyota pickup. It was involved in a replacement recall due to the vehicles frame. Toyota bought the truck back at a more than fair price. He took the money and purchased a new BMW sedan. Shortly after he did, his car was in need of a major warranty repair and as part of BMW's warranty a free rental of the same car or newer was to be provided. His car sat waiting parts for about a month, while he drove a compact Chevy product. Talk about being pissed off. The dealership doesn't care, the owner also owns the rental car company's local franchise, he's getting paid in both hands.

Talk about waiting for parts. Remember back in the mid '80s when the Nissan (Hardbody) Pickup trucks first entered the market. The local dealership in Great Falls got their first shipments in and customers were eager to buy them up.

Problem was Nissan discovered a transmission problem, so all those units had to sit on the dealership's back lot for months waiting on the parts necessary to make them serviceable to be sold. I wanted one but ended up going down the street to the Ford dealership to get me a new truck...which was bigger and costs less than the Nissan did...and I could drive it home that day.

My friend who purchase the Pathfinder version had to drive a Nissan Sentra for three months while he waited on his rig to get fixed. The day after he picked it up from the dealership all fixed, cleaned and ready to go he traded it off for something else.

April 18th, 2012, 9:14 pm #10

he was demonstrating (at night, in the Syria Mosque parking lot) its cornering ability to a businessman friend--I'm sure they were both a coupla sheets to the wind--and put it into a large parking lot lamp pole base. The fix took about six months (parts had to be ordered from the U.K., of course), and the garage called him when it was finally ready to pick up. For some reason he dragged his feet, and the next call from the garage informed him that his pristine white roadster was now a "brown bunny" (as they put it); the place had burned down and was a total loss along with all the vehicles inside......

Phil