AFM10YRGB- Airfix DH4 part 2 (and a $%#@^ disaster!)

June 18th, 2018, 12:17 am #11

NICE SAVE!!!

WCDan

June 18th, 2018, 12:24 am #12

93rdLiberator wrote: NICE SAVE!!!

WCDan
Yeah, you almost got to see me botch one up!  :)

June 18th, 2018, 12:29 pm #13

There ya go. Looks fine. Bravo!

June 18th, 2018, 12:56 pm #14

Wow, what an interior Dan 🙂

Great to see that your work survived calamity 👍

Is this one of the latter biplane kits?

Cheers, Vic

June 18th, 2018, 1:06 pm #15

Good recovery, Sir!

One thing: the damage to the fabric portion looks (in the pictures, anyway) a lot like wrinkles that often developed in fuselage covering on machines in service. If the repair proves not wholly smooth, you just have a well-used beastie on your hands, so far as overall finish would be concerned.

June 18th, 2018, 11:47 pm #16

Vic Scheuerman wrote: Wow, what an interior Dan 🙂

Great to see that your work survived calamity 👍

Is this one of the latter biplane kits?

Cheers, Vic
Scalemates shows that this kit originally dates back to 1967 which surprises me a little because I would think many of the neat features would have belonged to a much later generation of kits.  When I pulled this out of the stash and really took a good look at the parts I was surprised to see control horns molded to the top and bottom of the elevators, both sides of the rudder and on all of the ailerons.  That must have been tough to mold because I don't think Airfix did many more subjects with those in place, did they?  I was also impressed with the restrained "wrinkles" molded into the corners of the canvas covered section of the fuselage.  The small parts like the machine guns are also very nicely molded.  Fit has been very good so far and I'm looking forward to using their assembly system for all the wing struts.

June 18th, 2018, 11:51 pm #17

Old Man wrote: Good recovery, Sir!

One thing: the damage to the fabric portion looks (in the pictures, anyway) a lot like wrinkles that often developed in fuselage covering on machines in service. If the repair proves not wholly smooth, you just have a well-used beastie on your hands, so far as overall finish would be concerned.
If you're talking about those little wrinkles in the corner of the fabric covered portion of the fuselage, Airfix was nice enough to put them there for us.  If you're talking about the big wavy wrinkle I put in the fuselage with my glue bath, I would hope any full scale plane with that problem would be struck off charge!  

I was able to get it back to perfect smoothness so I'm pressing on and have the lower wings and tailplanes attached now.  Should go pretty quickly from here.

-Dan

June 19th, 2018, 1:51 am #18

danh4 wrote:
If you're talking about those little wrinkles in the corner of the fabric covered portion of the fuselage, Airfix was nice enough to put them there for us.  If you're talking about the big wavy wrinkle I put in the fuselage with my glue bath, I would hope any full scale plane with that problem would be struck off charge!  

I was able to get it back to perfect smoothness so I'm pressing on and have the lower wings and tailplanes attached now.  Should go pretty quickly from here.

-Dan
I didn't realize those corner wrinkles were part of the original.Those are what I meant.  A surprising touch, especially for the day. Glad you got the actual damages sorted out.

June 21st, 2018, 7:19 am #19

Well rescued, I can imagine your horror when you knocked the glue over.... and language to boot!

The interior is just brilliant, I have a couple of DH4's somewhere which I will build one day.... hmm I feel I may have said that a lot over the years but haven't we all?

Looking forward to seeing progress shots.

Simon

June 22nd, 2018, 11:49 am #20

Nice recovery. It happend to me countless times (and will happen again, age makes me sloppier). In most cases, if you managed to stay put and wait, you may recover the damage with judicious use of putty and sanding. However it is ennoying to lose time.
Happy you saved all that brillant detail. See you at the next post
Luigi

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk