AFM10YGB Matchbox Supermarine Stranraer

AFM10YGB Matchbox Supermarine Stranraer

July 5th, 2018, 6:19 am #1

All,

Here is my hat in the ring on this build.  At least one of them!  I'm not sure how old this kit is, but it does say "Made in England" and it fits really well.  I do think it's one of my older kits in the stash.  There are more, so stay tuned.  I intend to build it out of the box and just do a jolly nice paint scheme like on the box cover art.  I felt like I was 8 again...here is what's been done tonight in between firework explosions.

IMG_2787.JPG IMG_2788.JPG IMG_2789.JPG IMG_2791.JPG IMG_2792.JPG I'll do a bit of filling tomorrow but not much is needed.  The interior will be William's Black (ha, ha) with some tiny additions and painted crew.  The beaching struts are just plugged in (not glued) to help locate the correct dihedral on the bottom wing.

Neat looking machine!  I'd have loved to see one in the air...

Cheers to all...Dan

July 5th, 2018, 2:58 pm #2

Good choice, Dan. In my opinion this is one of the best Matchbox aricraft kits. Their trench digger must have been on holiday when they did this back in 1978. I did mine in the last decade but remember clearly how well it went together. Rigging is a challenge but I know you are not afraid of that. Looking forward to progress on this!

July 6th, 2018, 12:13 am #3

Great start Dan. Good to have you in the AFM10YGB.

July 8th, 2018, 7:54 am #4

Lovely start Dan, looking forward to this one as well.

July 10th, 2018, 4:09 am #5

Thanks, you guys.  This model does seem to go together pretty dang nicely.  I primed it so it looks like a proper model 😉 and what you see here is basically press fit together to help locate the interplanes which are now glued into the bottom wing.  I'll then remove the top wing and start some painting soon.

IMG_2793.JPG IMG_2798.JPG I couldn't figure out how far to push the cabane struts in but the interplanes helped me figure out that geometry.  Cool beans.

Thanks for looking!

Dan

July 10th, 2018, 6:40 pm #6

Ooh, that is cool!  I've never built a seaplane or floatplane because they always look, well, like fish out of water when sitting on a shelf.  Now it dawns on me that all seaplanes must have had beaching gear of some sort so I should rethink that.  I think I might even have a Matchbox Walrus stashed away somewhere...

Who's the crossword fan in your house?

July 10th, 2018, 9:53 pm #7

Hi Dan...

I agree about flying boats...but I like their lines so much.  I think I will put the beaching gear on this guy.  You should definitely build a few!

My wife and I do those on weekend mornings after dinner.  They are fun and I realize how stupid I really am...😜

Cheer and more tonight (I hope)!

WCDan

July 11th, 2018, 12:40 pm #8

93rdLiberator wrote:Hi Dan...

I agree about flying boats...but I like their lines so much.  I think I will put the beaching gear on this guy.  You should definitely build a few!

My wife and I do those on weekend mornings after dinner.  They are fun and I realize how stupid I really am...

Cheer and more tonight (I hope)!

WCDan
Lovin' the "boat" but you might what to edit this entry ?

... great fun , eh ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

July 11th, 2018, 5:09 pm #9

What...don't you have morning dinners?  😁

July 11th, 2018, 9:03 pm #10

93rdLiberator wrote:What...don't you have morning dinners? 
NA . Just 1st breakfast 2nd breakfast etc.

... great fun , eh ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk