AFM10YGB (and RAF100YGB) Airfix DH4 is done!

AFM10YGB (and RAF100YGB) Airfix DH4 is done!

July 8th, 2018, 2:21 pm #1

What a blast this old classic was to work on.  Even the problems I caused myself with glue spills and broken parts (that landing gear leg never did turn up) gave a sense of nostalgia.  In the end it all came together without too much trouble.  The interior is all built up from plastic card and stretched sprue with a white metal pilot's seat.  The only addition to the exterior of the kit besides the rigging is the elevator bellcranks below the gunner's position. These were added so I could run control cables to the elevators since Airfix so nicely included control horns on every control surface.  Rudder and aileron cables were added as well using EZ line.  All the rest of the rigging was done with .005" Nitinol wire.

Airfix DH4 a.jpg Airfix DH4 b.jpg Airfix DH4 c.jpg
Airfix DH4 d.jpg Airfix DH4 e.jpg Airfix DH4 f.jpg Congratulations to all who've shared their work here for 10 years.  I think this is one of the friendliest and most interesting sub-forums on the 'Net!

-Dan

July 8th, 2018, 3:32 pm #2

What a remarkable build! Well done Dan! Great rigging.

An outdoor pic might have it as a 1:1.

July 8th, 2018, 7:21 pm #3

Simply gorgeous Dan! it's hard to believe that kit could be made to look so good.
Cheers,
Mark

July 8th, 2018, 7:50 pm #4

Whoa baby!  That's a neat looking DH-4.  I think it looks like a WNW kit.  You did your usual amazing job...I need to try that wire.  I've never used it before!

WCDan

July 8th, 2018, 8:27 pm #5

Terrific job, Dan. Rigging is very exceptionally good. Congrats
Luigi

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

July 8th, 2018, 11:22 pm #6

Really nice!

July 9th, 2018, 12:45 am #7

Really great work there Dan! It looks superb!

July 9th, 2018, 2:08 am #8

Hello Dan,
What a lovely and impressive outcome.
Thanks for sharing what can be done with this old (~50 yrs) but robust kit.
Wonderful inspiration, perhaps too much.....that's the trouble with duch nicely finished articles, if I'm not careful these become a distraction from current projects.
I particularly like the shading you have achieved on the undersurfaces and it is clear that the efforts you put into detailing the interior are not hidden.

Well done.

Cheers

AP

July 9th, 2018, 11:40 am #9

Thanks guys! 

Last night I pulled out Airfix's equally as old R.E. 8 kit with a thought towards building it as a follow-up to this one.  All I can say is NOPE!  I'm curious about how Airfix produced two such different kits around the same time.  Then again I see that many have built some beautiful models from that kit, Old Man especially, so I'll leave it on the bench for a while and see what happens.

-Dan

July 9th, 2018, 11:48 am #10

93rdLiberator wrote: Whoa baby!  That's a neat looking DH-4.  I think it looks like a WNW kit.  You did your usual amazing job...I need to try that wire.  I've never used it before!

WCDan
Thanks Dan!  I think you'd like working with Nitinol wire for rigging, it is as easy as it gets.  If you'd like some to play with, shoot me your address and I'll send you a few lengths.

-Dan