AFM10YGB - Airfix 1/72 Vickers Wellington Mk.IV Part 1

AFM10YGB - Airfix 1/72 Vickers Wellington Mk.IV Part 1

July 2nd, 2018, 7:53 am #1

I'm in with the Airfix 1/72 Vickers Wellington - just been busy building and cursing the old Airfix kit ...
Working on making it a RAAF 460SQN Mk IV.  Although the kit is a Mk.III, I can't see any difference between the Mk.III and Mk.IV.  From research, it appears the Mk.IV had a different engine to the Mk.III.

wow - poor molding, pin holes, raised lumps and bumps on various parts ... was looking at how to fix without major work ... i failed.
Had to re-scribe the wings, so I can remove the offending lumps and bumps ... it took away most of the raised detail, so re-scribing was the best course of action.  I thought about re-adding the removed detail with stretched sprue, but it was more effort than it was worth... I know, the Whimpy didn't have panels - just a lot of hex patterns, but the re-scribing looks so must better.
Wingtip lights were carved out and I tried super glue and 5 minute epoxy - they didn't want to stay in place, so raided some old clear sprue and glued them on ... just waiting for the glue to set and out with the dremel to carve away the excess (and possibly more cursing)
I cut out the engine veins and used liquid cement to soften the plastic before I bent them out ... the original looked embarrassing to leave in the original state.  I left enough plastic to mount it on the engine frames later.
Cockpit and figures are being used - painted black primer and raided Tamiya paints just to give them some colour.  Not going over board on painting them up, due to the thick plastic that will distort and block the figures.  Mainly wanted to fill the cockpit with detail and have something for the guns to hang on to in the turrents.
Added a shim to the wheels to give them some beef - they looked rather thin - now they look acceptable.

Thanks

cheers
Mark

"Who's the more foolish ? The fool or the fool that follows him ?"

July 2nd, 2018, 6:46 pm #2

The Mk.IV was fitted with P&W R-1830 Twin Wasp engines instead of the Bristol Pegasus.

http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/we ... iants.html

Chris
I'm not a kit builder. I'm a styrene butcher.

July 2nd, 2018, 11:02 pm #3

Thanks Chris,
Thanks

cheers
Mark

"Who's the more foolish ? The fool or the fool that follows him ?"

July 2nd, 2018, 11:30 pm #4

Now that brings back memories - got that for Christmas many many many years ago. 

July 3rd, 2018, 3:16 am #5

Nice choice and great start. Looks like you already added some elbow grease to your build.

July 3rd, 2018, 6:13 am #6

I built one of those in 1972 or so, and it wasn't the highest tech around back then. That said, it was a good match for my skills. I recall discovering months later that the little bumps on the wings were meant to help locate the nacelles. I put mine on beside them instead!

July 3rd, 2018, 6:53 am #7

The Mk IV was a Mk Ic airframe with P&W donks so you'll need to modify the fuselage glazing. and the engines/cowls/exhausts

July 5th, 2018, 12:17 am #8

That's awesome!
I really enjoy this kind of modeling work.
Congratulations.

July 8th, 2018, 7:55 am #9

Nice work and I kit I remember well as a teenager.