AEMGB - Sunderland III

AEMGB - Sunderland III

April 22nd, 2012, 10:08 pm #1

Well I started the Sunderland on the weekend, and a large amount of sanding to reduce the effect of the rivets, which are quite finely done.

Most of the work has been on the flight deck of the kit, which I have decided to scratch built. This is the progress to date. Currently working on the seats for the pilot and co-pilot

I have a distortion issue I will have to overcome, before its installed

Also worked on one of the engines and here it is on the left with the original kit on the right.

It took a while to remove the old moulded in engine and do some reshaping of the collector ring. The replacement Pegasus is from Engines & Things, whilst the prop and its boss is from the spares and originated from an MPM Wellington.

I was originally going to use the kit decals, but they are not 100%, and they are not accurate for the kit in the box. To do DD867, I would have to add the ASV Yaggi aerials and not install the top turret.

I am looking at a French Aeronavale Sunderland III, Dakar 1943 which would be DSG/SG/Sky but I am not sure if it had French or British Roundels on top of the wing. Certainly the fuselage was French Aeronavale.

More brain work ahead

Thanks for looking

Fred

April 22nd, 2012, 10:50 pm #2

And yes, one of those bulkheads does look a little wobbly. Might just straighten out when you glue it into the fuselage?

If you can't resolve the national markings issue for that WW2 Aeronavale version, I have decals from a Carpena sheet for a 1960 all white Aeronavale example (ML796), if you prefer to think French with this one. Rather a striking scheme, I think. I don't see a Sunderland in my immediate future, so they are yours, if you need them.

April 22nd, 2012, 11:24 pm #3

Well I started the Sunderland on the weekend, and a large amount of sanding to reduce the effect of the rivets, which are quite finely done.

Most of the work has been on the flight deck of the kit, which I have decided to scratch built. This is the progress to date. Currently working on the seats for the pilot and co-pilot

Also worked on one of the engines and here it is on the left with the original kit on the right.

It took a while to remove the old moulded in engine and do some reshaping of the collector ring. The replacement Pegasus is from Engines & Things, whilst the prop and its boss is from the spares and originated from an MPM Wellington.

I was originally going to use the kit decals, but they are not 100%, and they are not accurate for the kit in the box. To do DD867, I would have to add the ASV Yaggi aerials and not install the top turret.

I am looking at a French Aeronavale Sunderland III, Dakar 1943 which would be DSG/SG/Sky but I am not sure if it had French or British Roundels on top of the wing. Certainly the fuselage was French Aeronavale.

More brain work ahead

Thanks for looking

Fred
I like the cockpit details too!

Regards,
Adrian

April 23rd, 2012, 12:32 am #4

More brain work ahead

Thanks for looking

Fred
The flight deck will make a big difference, and the engines look great. Hmm, makes me wonder what I can do about the silly excuses for engines on my Hampden.

Stuart

April 23rd, 2012, 12:57 am #5

I think I used a set from an MPM Wellington (great source of spares that kit) but you if you can use them you will need to reduce their length by approx 2.5mm as they are too long. I was going to use same on the Sunderland but the Sunderland's are too fat and whilst I can change the length, making them wider was another issue.

Email me and I will send you a pair of engines/cowls and collector rings from an MPM kit

Regards

Fred

April 23rd, 2012, 1:35 am #6

based on your main post above, I just now got through ordering a couple of Engines & Things Pegasuses (Pegasi?) from Roll Models. (I'm taking advantage of my upcoming trip to the US to order as many goodies as the credit card will bear!) I actually have the MPM/Airfix Wellington, but I want to build it someday.

But many thanks for the offer!

Stuart
Last edited by StuartMilliken on April 23rd, 2012, 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 23rd, 2012, 10:18 am #7

More brain work ahead

Thanks for looking

Fred
I was going to make a joke about you had a whole weekend but didn't finish the kit... but thought better of it.. Looking forward to seeing future progress photos.

Simon

April 23rd, 2012, 11:43 am #8

portholes are giving me considerable grief

April 23rd, 2012, 2:39 pm #9

More brain work ahead

Thanks for looking

Fred
Impressive start on the office and the engines are looking 'much' better.

Cheers, Vic

April 23rd, 2012, 8:25 pm #10

More brain work ahead

Thanks for looking

Fred
At least for a whole week

Nice work Fred - that interior looks great, but I wonder how much of it can be seen - ah well, it's always nice to tease the carpet monster with all these parts it won't get !

Warpaint 25 has a profile of a French 1943 Dakar Sunderland, probably the one you talk about - it has French roundels in the underwing positions - no intel about the top wing, but I suppose if they took the trouble to paint French markings on the undersides of the wings - then probably top of the wing also

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / Plastic Stories

1/72 - Special Hobby - TT-1 Pinto : Part I (incl Panthers Cup 2012 show report)
1/72 - Airfix/Jo-Han - Mitsubishi Zero/Rufe conversion: Part I

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God