Advice on painting white wall tires

Advice on painting white wall tires

April 22nd, 2012, 11:05 pm #1

Normally an aircraft guy, I've recently grown quite fond of old 1/32 scale classic cars. Compared to aircraft kits from the same period, there are some pretty well moulded kits!

A lot of those old kits feature rubber tires, which in all the kits I've bought during the last year or so, have survived remarkably well, despite being 40-50 years old.

Some of the subjects require white wall tires, and this is my question: What is the best paint to use for this? Prime with Future so it doesn't flake or attack the rubber? Any experience shared is much appreciated.

Did try Google, but only found links to doing it 1/1 scale.

April 23rd, 2012, 1:38 pm #2

I always had good luck painting the bare tire with a good brushable acrylic paint. Poly Scale white was good. Enamels usually stay gummy/tacky and don't dry.

April 24th, 2012, 3:13 am #3

Get a circle template and determine the correct diameter.Hold the template firmly against the tire then airbrush acrylic flat white (I use Tamiya) works great.I used the above method on this '58 Caddy! [/IMG]
Last edited by philo426 on April 24th, 2012, 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 24th, 2012, 4:22 am #4

Normally an aircraft guy, I've recently grown quite fond of old 1/32 scale classic cars. Compared to aircraft kits from the same period, there are some pretty well moulded kits!

A lot of those old kits feature rubber tires, which in all the kits I've bought during the last year or so, have survived remarkably well, despite being 40-50 years old.

Some of the subjects require white wall tires, and this is my question: What is the best paint to use for this? Prime with Future so it doesn't flake or attack the rubber? Any experience shared is much appreciated.

Did try Google, but only found links to doing it 1/1 scale.

Nice Caddy, Philo!
Last edited by Claus Dam on April 24th, 2012, 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 24th, 2012, 11:21 am #5

Thanks!

April 24th, 2012, 12:58 pm #6

I'll stay away from enamels and give Tamiya acrillic a shot as Poly Scale is not available in my part of the world.

Nice Caddy, Philo!