ADC P-51's at Keflavik Iceland, (calling Menard)

ADC P-51's at Keflavik Iceland, (calling Menard)

March 12th, 2012, 2:23 pm #1

Does anyone or Dave Menard have any good info (photos, especially color) of Air Defense Command P-51's that were stationed at Keflavic when they first allowed the US to station there.

I have a single B&W photo that shows the P-51's appear to have Artic Red tails, and several of them have nose art in the form of names under the exhaust.

What I cannot tell is if the main wings had artic red.
What exactly some of the nose art names are.
And there appears to be a wing stripe of some type as the smaller main landing gear door has a stripe on it but I cannot tell the color.

let me know

Scotty B

March 12th, 2012, 3:38 pm #2

Hi Scott,

According to Nicholas Williams history of the Military Air Transport Service, MATS had the responsibility for air defense of Iceland from September 1952 through 1961. The P-51Ds were from the 192nd/435th Fighter Bomber Squadrons. Perhaps the good folks at AMC/HO can help.

HTH

Geoff Hays
Dayton

March 12th, 2012, 4:08 pm #3

Scott, e-mail inbound n/t

March 12th, 2012, 4:50 pm #4

definitely confirms red panels on the upper and lower main wings that stop at the aileron/flap join lines.

The lower pic also shows no stripe running around the wing at least on the closest a/c that would account for the painted section on the MLG door. It may be a warning or unit paint.

The upper pic is the one I have.

It would be interesting if Menard can come up with a color photo. I know this is a really obscure thing.
One can only guess as to the color of the lower section of the gear doors and the spinners in these B&W photos.

Plus the nose art names would be neat to find out.

Scotty B

March 12th, 2012, 5:43 pm #5

Maybe Dave will know the CA ANG unit they came from and that might provide some clues to the spinner and other things.

Glad to help.

Geoff

March 12th, 2012, 7:03 pm #6

Does anyone or Dave Menard have any good info (photos, especially color) of Air Defense Command P-51's that were stationed at Keflavic when they first allowed the US to station there.

I have a single B&W photo that shows the P-51's appear to have Artic Red tails, and several of them have nose art in the form of names under the exhaust.

What I cannot tell is if the main wings had artic red.
What exactly some of the nose art names are.
And there appears to be a wing stripe of some type as the smaller main landing gear door has a stripe on it but I cannot tell the color.

let me know

Scotty B
There is a color photo in Dave's book "USAF Plus Fifteen".
Text says "The commander of the 192nd Fighter Squadron, NV ANG, flew this F-51D to Iceland in 1952 to begin an AF presence that exists to this day. (Conger Collection)
Photo is of a very colorful Mustang. Red Arctic markings on tail from front of fin fillet aft, but not control surfaces, wing outboard of the ailerons. The tips of the wings, vertical and horizontal tails, the canopy rail and the spinner are front to aft Red, Yellow and Blue. and there is four stripes in either White or natural metal, Red, Yellow and Blue across the aft fuselage diagonally from in front of the point of the fin fillet (start of the Red tail paint) down and back to just at the rear end of the tail wheel doors.
also carries a drop tank. But not a WWII style tank. Looks like the Fletcher tank carried on the F-94, but is clearly smaller. On this bird that tank front is striped Red, Yellow Blue on the nose cap, reversed colors on the tail cap, and has a large arrow on the side in equal segments of Red, Yellow and Blue.
Most interesting model subject and unusual for a Mustang. I would be willing to profile it, but not comfortable posting due to my concerns about Dave's rights.

March 12th, 2012, 9:05 pm #7

definitely confirms red panels on the upper and lower main wings that stop at the aileron/flap join lines.

The lower pic also shows no stripe running around the wing at least on the closest a/c that would account for the painted section on the MLG door. It may be a warning or unit paint.

The upper pic is the one I have.

It would be interesting if Menard can come up with a color photo. I know this is a really obscure thing.
One can only guess as to the color of the lower section of the gear doors and the spinners in these B&W photos.

Plus the nose art names would be neat to find out.

Scotty B
has read the messages, Any chance we can see the picture(s) too?
Thanks.

March 12th, 2012, 10:05 pm #8

Copyright by Nicholas Williams. Posted under fair use provisions of US copyright laws. Not for re-publication.
Last edited by glh186 on March 12th, 2012, 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 12th, 2012, 10:06 pm #9

Text says "The commander of the 192nd Fighter Squadron, NV ANG, flew this F-51D to Iceland in 1952 to begin an AF presence that exists to this day. (Conger Collection)
Photo is of a very colorful Mustang. Red Arctic markings on tail from front of fin fillet aft, but not control surfaces, wing outboard of the ailerons. The tips of the wings, vertical and horizontal tails, the canopy rail and the spinner are front to aft Red, Yellow and Blue. and there is four stripes in either White or natural metal, Red, Yellow and Blue across the aft fuselage diagonally from in front of the point of the fin fillet (start of the Red tail paint) down and back to just at the rear end of the tail wheel doors.
also carries a drop tank. But not a WWII style tank. Looks like the Fletcher tank carried on the F-94, but is clearly smaller. On this bird that tank front is striped Red, Yellow Blue on the nose cap, reversed colors on the tail cap, and has a large arrow on the side in equal segments of Red, Yellow and Blue.
Most interesting model subject and unusual for a Mustang. I would be willing to profile it, but not comfortable posting due to my concerns about Dave's rights.
It's already on the net, and comes up readily with a simple google search.

Steel cuts flesh. Steel cuts bone. Steel does not cut steel. --Stephen Hunter, The 47th Samurai.

We will march on a road of bones. --Hunter S. Thompson.

Sat Cong!

March 12th, 2012, 10:12 pm #10

Hi Norm,

Thanx for the input. The more the merrier.

I've asked Dave to weigh in with anything he might have.

Kinda looks to me from the Williams photos that the birds were all repainted in some standard scheme at some point. Dave's caption also raises the question as to which unit the P-51s came from to begin with, the CA or NV ANG. Still curious about the color on the lower gear door Scott asked about as well.

Cheers

geoff