Accuracy in decals, who can we trust?

Accuracy in decals, who can we trust?

May 2nd, 2012, 3:56 pm #1

Just wondering if anybody else has become suspicious about decals and their references? I know it is not an exact science when dealing with the past, but we have all built models where we later found out that the markings are either inaccurate or never existed. Aftermarket decals can be quite inaccurate also. Where do they get their information, or do they just draw estimates from photos? Some of these sets can run 40.00 in certain cases. Maybe we just throw them on and turn a blind eye? I'm not obsessing over minor details, just major flaws. Then of course there is the varying quality of the decals themselves, especially those in most kits, but we can save that for another time. Which companies do the best research and produce the most accurate and user friendly decals? Feel free to chime in.
Cheers

May 2nd, 2012, 4:10 pm #2

It's the same with color call-outs, camouflage patterns, and painted markings. In the past all of my Bf-109 builds were green & dark green due to the old kit and and decal sheet instructions. Port side photos is the most reference we all have and have no idea what the other side or top of the wings look like. A big part of it we all have to guess and just roll with it. I couldn't say any decal maker could get them all 100% right.

Brent

Forty-Sevens don't got carpet!

May 2nd, 2012, 4:12 pm #3

A deal, deal! Maybe He's a Republican?
60 feet of bridge I can get almost anywhere. Schmuck!

May 2nd, 2012, 4:21 pm #4

Just wondering if anybody else has become suspicious about decals and their references? I know it is not an exact science when dealing with the past, but we have all built models where we later found out that the markings are either inaccurate or never existed. Aftermarket decals can be quite inaccurate also. Where do they get their information, or do they just draw estimates from photos? Some of these sets can run 40.00 in certain cases. Maybe we just throw them on and turn a blind eye? I'm not obsessing over minor details, just major flaws. Then of course there is the varying quality of the decals themselves, especially those in most kits, but we can save that for another time. Which companies do the best research and produce the most accurate and user friendly decals? Feel free to chime in.
Cheers
With half of the stuff on decal sheets, especially from World War II, there may be little or no direct or concrete information on markings and colors. Perhaps there is one grainy b/w photo of the tail of a plane and a decal maker has to extrapolate the whole camo scheme and markings layout from that one photo. Even well known planes like Gabreski's P-47 can be enigmatic with various written and photographic depictions not being conclusive or contradictory.

Some companies do make mistakes but a lot of time they (just like you) must make an interpretation.

Accurate and user-friendly may not be the same thing either. It depends what you want for your model. Something that is easy to use but, perhaps, less accurate, or a total POS decal that is a bear to use, but might be more accurate (at least in your eyes)

May 2nd, 2012, 4:29 pm #5

Cheers
near the top of the list. Subjects are limited somewhat but what they offer is stellar in all ways. Also Barracuda Studios (Roy Sutherland) can be totally trusted. HTH, cheers, LL

So a friend says: "cheer up things could be worse; so I cheered up and sure as hell Things Got Worse!

May 2nd, 2012, 4:30 pm #6

Cheers
...no decal art is 100% correct. At Red Gecko, we search out the most reliable photographic evidence (always working within a limited budget) and subject that evidence to rigorous analysis. We've passed on several attractive schemes when they fail to meet our admitedly minimalistic standards for completeness of information. We're lucky to get spot-on even some of the time.
There is an inevitable embarassing moment when a new photo comes to light which disproves our previous best guess, usually after the artwork has gone to press or is already on sale. This applies not only to colors, but to size, shape and even wording.
On the other hand, if everyone waited until the absolute definitive references became available, no decals would ever be printed.

Phil Schenfeld, Senior Vector Herder, Red Gecko Productions

May 2nd, 2012, 4:34 pm #7

Cheers
Yes what Phil said

HTH, Mike
Last edited by ResinPrince on May 2nd, 2012, 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 2nd, 2012, 4:35 pm #8

Cheers
I go with what looks good to me, unless I have the cold hard facts in front of me. Even then, I sometimes find it necessary to improve upon them. LOL

May 2nd, 2012, 4:43 pm #9

Cheers
don't beleive anything you read and only half of what you see..n/t

May 2nd, 2012, 4:58 pm #10

Cheers
I can tell you for a FACT that MOST decals are not 100% accurate.

I have done some research that has wound up on decal and have been told the following more than once:

1) "too many colors" - even it would have been ACCURATE to depict and item such as nose art in various colors the company chose to fudge certain colors to keep the cost down.

(and this next one really makes me sick)

2) "make it look like it does in the Osprey book" - even though we had pictures to show different the company felt the decal sheet would be tarnished if it didn't look exactly like the profile in the Osprey book that happened to be wrong.

This is why we started fündekals. We hated hearing that from other decal companies so we started our own.

cheers

Jonathan @ www.fündekals.com