Accolades to Mr. Dana Bell!!!!

Accolades to Mr. Dana Bell!!!!

April 19th, 2012, 1:12 am #1

I just got my hands on your Aicraft Pictorial on the F4F Wildcat, and all I can say is WOW! I believe it's your best effort yet. Is there any way I can persuade you to do a similar book on the TBD Devastator?

April 19th, 2012, 6:55 am #2

Seriously great work whatever he turns his hands to

April 19th, 2012, 11:29 am #3

I just got my hands on your Aicraft Pictorial on the F4F Wildcat, and all I can say is WOW! I believe it's your best effort yet. Is there any way I can persuade you to do a similar book on the TBD Devastator?
It's always nice to wake up to notes like these!

Cheers,

Dana

April 19th, 2012, 3:34 pm #4

Seriously great work whatever he turns his hands to
I am curious as to the color scheme on the RAF Chessies? Early DFS or grey green DFS?
Cheers

April 19th, 2012, 4:43 pm #5

The book deals only with US Navy and Marine aircraft, but company plans show the Chesapeakes were delivered in Dark Slate Gray 71-19323, Extra Dark Sea Gray 71-19324, and "Sky Type 'S' Gray DuPont #71-021 or equivalent." Note that only the underside color offered the possibility of an alterantive paint.

There were mirror-image patterns, alternating in groups of five consecutive serials.

Cheers,

Dana

April 19th, 2012, 5:38 pm #6

I have seen a color picture of one Cheasapeak in the old DFS of DE,EG and sky substitute colors (which Techmod does a set of decals for by the way) I but was not sure about the substitute FAA colors. From what I understand the similar colors were dark gull grey or sea grey, OD green, then a slight greenish light grey that you mentioned known as "sky grey" Is that what you have heard? Supposedly these aircraft were relegated to minor duties such as liaison and target tugs. I did read of one squadron that was used for a short time by Coastal Command for patrol duties (thusly the TSS paint job?) Anyway, thanks for your help on this obscure topic. I have done much research on lend lease aircraft in the FAA, and with the help of folks like yourself and Steven Eisenman I have learned a lot about paint!
Cheers

P.S. Congrats on your book. I wish someone would do one on lend lease color schemes, it is a complicated subject and needs addressing