Academy T-50

Academy T-50

July 24th, 2012, 1:35 pm #1

Inspired by a photo of the Black Knights posted in Plane Talking, I purchased the Academy kit of the T-50. I started on it last night and I just had to post how impressed I am by this kit!! National pride must have driven Academy to put their best efforts towards this project. It rivals Tamiya and Hasegawa for quality of engineering and molding. Extremely fine detail, astoundingly good fit. I have all of the main fuselage/wing components either assembled or test fitted and there is no need for filler anywhere. I would love to see them do this level of work every time (who knows, maybe this has increased their level of quality to the point they do apply it to all of their future efforts). If their forthcoming F-4B is at this level...

July 24th, 2012, 10:59 pm #2

My girl - well she's kind of an ugly girl. But,that's O.K. I like ugly girls. Because pretty girls can do anything, but ugly girls have to do everything.
-John Birks "Dizzy" Gillespie

July 25th, 2012, 3:28 am #3

Inspired by a photo of the Black Knights posted in Plane Talking, I purchased the Academy kit of the T-50. I started on it last night and I just had to post how impressed I am by this kit!! National pride must have driven Academy to put their best efforts towards this project. It rivals Tamiya and Hasegawa for quality of engineering and molding. Extremely fine detail, astoundingly good fit. I have all of the main fuselage/wing components either assembled or test fitted and there is no need for filler anywhere. I would love to see them do this level of work every time (who knows, maybe this has increased their level of quality to the point they do apply it to all of their future efforts). If their forthcoming F-4B is at this level...
nm

July 25th, 2012, 12:06 pm #4

I'm hoping the B is the beginning of a whole new series of Phantom's in 48th. As much as I have liked the Hasegawa series (bought at least a dozen, built four), it's time for a state of the art kit.

July 25th, 2012, 12:10 pm #5

A little further into the build and I have found two issues (aka nits):

The intakes and trunking: prominent seams inside (I'm solving it with covers); and the trunking is too long, protruding from a joint so that the intakes dont fit unless the trunk is cut down (easy fix)

The cockpit: the tub itself is really well done, but the side walls on the fuselage have a nasty horizontal seam that will be tricky to eliminate without also eliminating some molded in detail.

July 25th, 2012, 12:12 pm #6

My girl - well she's kind of an ugly girl. But,that's O.K. I like ugly girls. Because pretty girls can do anything, but ugly girls have to do everything.
-John Birks "Dizzy" Gillespie
You would think that Academy would have done one. I expect they may get around to it though. Wouldnt surprise me if they made a 32nd as well someday.

July 27th, 2012, 10:21 am #7

"Extremely fine detail, astoundingly good fit", no doubt such things are important in modern injection kits but I believe that even more important are the in scale rendition of the real machine capturing shape and volumetry.
I remember the grievance committed by HB Tornadoes and A-7s recently although they were fine recessed and good fit.
Good Luck.
BR

July 28th, 2012, 5:36 am #8

I'm no expert on this aircraft, but the pieces are coming together to show a very near perfect rendition of the aircraft in photos.

July 28th, 2012, 5:50 am #9

Your progress in this work, it is a good looking aircraft.
Good Luck
BR

July 28th, 2012, 6:07 pm #10

I'll take some pics.