Academy P-47

Academy P-47

May 20th, 2012, 12:36 am #1

Built this a year ago, but just now got around to taking a picture. Finish is aluminum foil. The Academy kit is a pretty good value, but the guns need to be rearranged and the intake ducts under the engine are oversimplified and need scratch-building.
[/IMG]

May 20th, 2012, 12:47 am #2

I need to try foiling. Did you use ordinary kitchen foil?

May 20th, 2012, 7:49 am #3

I think the brand was Reynolds wrap from the blue box. I also used a little bit of 100% recycled foil that came in a green box. It wasn't as nice as the regular stuff (it was a little brittle) but was good to add a little variety of sheen to the panels. I used micro scale foil adhesive. I burnished with cotton swabs, old t-shirts, pencil erasers, and wood scraps. One thing I discovered was that the rough spots on my hands are hard enough to scratch the foil, so if you have any calluses wear gloves! I tried to use Bare-Metal-Foil but the glue on the back gives it a pebbly finish that I couldn't burnish away.

May 20th, 2012, 12:17 pm #4

Built this a year ago, but just now got around to taking a picture. Finish is aluminum foil. The Academy kit is a pretty good value, but the guns need to be rearranged and the intake ducts under the engine are oversimplified and need scratch-building.
[/IMG]
Beautifully photographed, Paul.

-d-

May 20th, 2012, 6:33 pm #5

[/IMG]
That foil really looks like real metal. (Wonder why?) I'm scared to try, but man that looks good.

Stuart

May 21st, 2012, 8:31 am #6

Beautifully photographed, Paul.

-d-
the Academy 72nd piston fighters are generally cheap and fun to build with pretty good surface detail. I've yet to try one of the Tamiya kits in the scale. Maybe twice the price is twice as good too? Are you still in Oregon?

May 23rd, 2012, 1:30 am #7

[/IMG]
Wow, Paul - that's one sweet looking model. Excellent work on that foil finish - I know how hard it is to get that right - and the paint job over it. You've done yourself proud!
Best...Ted...

Current Builds:

Firefly Makeover Pt1

RCAF Trimotor Pt. 1

Postwar RCAF Pt. 1; Postwar RCAF Pt. 2; Postwar RCAF Pt. 3

Tall Tales:
Kanal Kampf: A Spitfire Story
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:
Mad About Migs Pt. 1; Mad About Migs Pt. 2; Mad About Migs Pt. 3; Mad About Migs Pt. 4; Mad About Migs Pt. 5; Mad About Migs Pt. 6;
Mad About Migs Pt. 7; Mad About Migs Pt. 8; Mad About Migs Finish

Matilda Makeover Pt.1; Matilda Makeover Pt.2; Matilda Makeover Pt.3; Matilda Makeover Finish;

The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10; The Big Spit Pt.11; The Big Spit Finish;

Me109 Pt.1; Me109 Pt.2; Me109 Pt.3; Me109 Finish;

Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;

Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

May 23rd, 2012, 5:06 pm #8

[/IMG]
This is the one that sunk the axis ship with its quad .50.

The foiling looks FLAWLESS, congrats. As somebody who has tried that in the past I can tell you, you are my new hero.

Let me know if you ever what me to publish it in blitz72.com... I'd love to!

<table><tr><td width="84" valign="top"></td><td valign="top">SGT Braille </td></tr></table>

June 4th, 2012, 8:25 pm #9

[/IMG]
Nice work Paul - that's a magnificent build from the Academy kit, I've done a few of these myself, but shied away from a metal finish

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / Plastic Stories

1/72 - Special Hobby - TT-1 Pinto : Part I (incl Panthers Cup 2012 show report)
1/72 - Airfix/Jo-Han - Mitsubishi Zero/Rufe conversion: Part I

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God