Academy B-17D: Big Bird Under Foil (W.I.P.)

Academy B-17D: Big Bird Under Foil (W.I.P.)

July 9th, 2012, 9:34 pm #1

This is a bit out of my usual run, but I have wanted to do one of these, and do it in bare metal, for a long time. I was hoping to get it done in time for the Fourth, and took a solid two-week rush at doing so, but could not quite manage it (in part because of the damned heat). However, here are a couple of pictures of how far I have gotten....

It will be finished as a machine of the 50th Reconnaissance Squadron at Hickam Field in the summer of 1941.

I want to thank Mr. Aitken and Mr. Matsuoka for cuing me in to a genuine Pearl Harbor subject (the kit markings were spurious and only D-types were at Hickam in bare metal that spring and summer), and especially to thank HyperScaler Steve Nelson, who was kind enough to send me gilled cowlings for a D (my old 17C boxing had only the solid cowls included).
Last edited by Old Man on July 9th, 2012, 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 9th, 2012, 10:42 pm #2

Very pretty!

July 10th, 2012, 10:28 pm #3

This is a bit out of my usual run, but I have wanted to do one of these, and do it in bare metal, for a long time. I was hoping to get it done in time for the Fourth, and took a solid two-week rush at doing so, but could not quite manage it (in part because of the damned heat). However, here are a couple of pictures of how far I have gotten....

It will be finished as a machine of the 50th Reconnaissance Squadron at Hickam Field in the summer of 1941.

I want to thank Mr. Aitken and Mr. Matsuoka for cuing me in to a genuine Pearl Harbor subject (the kit markings were spurious and only D-types were at Hickam in bare metal that spring and summer), and especially to thank HyperScaler Steve Nelson, who was kind enough to send me gilled cowlings for a D (my old 17C boxing had only the solid cowls included).
n/m

--

I looked through the window over the green fields, and saw row on row, sharply white against the green, rising with the hill and dropping again into the hollows-keeping a firm line as they had been taught to do-a battalion on its last parade. The Cenotaph and no one there? That can never be.
-The heart of London, H.V. Morton