Absolutely dissapointed with Revell of Germany...

Absolutely dissapointed with Revell of Germany...

August 18th, 2012, 7:10 pm #1

A friend of mine has given me a kit this morning...He bought the kit 'cause he liked the boxart and 'cause he's always been in love with H.J.Marseille's "yellow 14" BF109F...
The kit is new Revell's BF109F in 1/48 scale, but to my surprise, what you find into the box is an ICM kit, but.......TWICE the price than ICM's original.
When the guy opened the box and found that amount of parts, frightened in a bad manner and gave me the kit as a present.....What a crappy amount of plastic, the last ICM kit that I tried to build ended his days as a parts donnor for an Otaki Spitfire Mk.VIII...
What do those guys at Revell's CEO think about doing these things...????? I'll think twice next time before buying another Revell kit...(and that goes for Italeri, Tamiya, etc...)....
It's like buying a Jaguar X Type and finding a Ford Mondeo under the bonnet.....
Best regards....
Last edited by CMT.Arturo.Navarro on August 18th, 2012, 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 18th, 2012, 7:46 pm #2

They've been boxing other manufacturers' kits for ages and ages. If you're not sure, it always pays to ask here or elsewhere before being disappointed. If you thought you were getting a new Revell tool for a 1/48 Bf109, you set yourself up for disappointment. No such animal has been announced.

All you need to do is ask. Most of Revell's own new tooling is gorgeous.

August 18th, 2012, 8:05 pm #3

A friend of mine has given me a kit this morning...He bought the kit 'cause he liked the boxart and 'cause he's always been in love with H.J.Marseille's "yellow 14" BF109F...
The kit is new Revell's BF109F in 1/48 scale, but to my surprise, what you find into the box is an ICM kit, but.......TWICE the price than ICM's original.
When the guy opened the box and found that amount of parts, frightened in a bad manner and gave me the kit as a present.....What a crappy amount of plastic, the last ICM kit that I tried to build ended his days as a parts donnor for an Otaki Spitfire Mk.VIII...
What do those guys at Revell's CEO think about doing these things...????? I'll think twice next time before buying another Revell kit...(and that goes for Italeri, Tamiya, etc...)....
It's like buying a Jaguar X Type and finding a Ford Mondeo under the bonnet.....
Best regards....
Some of Revell's reboxings are cheaper than the original, or easier to find, so it can be a two-edged sword.

All major kit manufacturers borrow molds from another company or recycle 50-year-old tools. So, if you or your friend picks kits solely based on the box art, then you are not guaranteed to find the latest and greatest tooling inside.

If you are worried about what's in the box, run a search online, or ask the hobby store owner!

August 18th, 2012, 8:11 pm #4

Best regards....
if you don't want it! I like the ICM kits myself. I am sorry that you and your friend were disappointed though. I do wish that all manufacturers would post on the kit boxes where the original molds came from. It would save everyone some trouble and money.

Later,

Lee

August 18th, 2012, 8:47 pm #5

Best regards....
dude it was free and BTW dont knock it til you build it...High parts count in all it still is a nice kit.....

The Big Bang Theory, watch it you'll laugh your arse off!!

August 18th, 2012, 10:03 pm #6

Best regards....
Tamiya sells Italeri kits in Japan,Italeri Models from Kinetik, Academy, Zwezda.....

Bye
Giampiero
Last edited by GiampieroSilvestri on August 18th, 2012, 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 18th, 2012, 10:16 pm #7

Best regards....
While some reboxed kits will boldly state the real manufacturers name or logo on the box others will not. But RoG typically states on the side of the box somewhere, in the small print "trademark blah blah blah Made in Japan, printed in Germany blah blah blah" Safe bet its going to be a reboxed hasegawa kit and usually a great value. RoG has reboxed eduards 1/48 Albatros D.V and Fokker DR.I. I dont know for sure but I dont think there is any etch included so it amounts to a weekend edition kit with perhaps some extra decal options. Those may or may not be worth it money wise, especially if the same store has the eduard weekend kit on the shelf too. Just be observant and when in doubt, google it.

August 18th, 2012, 10:44 pm #8

Best regards....
to find out it was the ICM kit. The question is asked here on HS pretty much every other day. And it was free too so what is there to be disappointed about? It's not like you paid for it.

August 18th, 2012, 11:24 pm #9

Best regards....
That was the saying a friend came up with years ago when we were getting into scale modeling, we never knew what to expect in a Revell box. It could be crap, it could nice. Then we looked in a Tamyia box and we were like wow...beautiful kit, great details, ease of build.

Reboxing other companies kits is nothing new, it happens. Sorry you got let down but is the kit really THAT bad? I'm taking the Kitech Challenge at the moment, talk about turd polishing!

"You must understand that there is more than one path to the top of the mountain."
-Miyamoto Musashi
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Note To Self: Oyumaru is NOT a fruit snack!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

August 18th, 2012, 11:39 pm #10

"Then we looked in a Tamyia box and we were like wow...beautiful kit, great details, ease of build."

Unless it's an Italeri kit.