ABofBGB The Big Spit Wired

ABofBGB The Big Spit Wired

August 16th, 2010, 6:18 pm #1

Hey Ho fellow Airfixer's - here's the start of Teddy boy's contribution to the Battle Of Britain Group Build, the iconic 1/24 scale Spitfire! This will be pretty much out of the box, plane on the kit stand, with the electric motor installed. Which is where we begin. As many of you know, the kit instructions offer no information on installing the electric motor:

The instructions that come with the 'purchase-separately' motor would have you install it inside the kit engine, which I want to build as a side display at a later date:

However...on the same sprue as the stand parts are these mysterious looking items. Hmmm. I wonder...

Aha! I knew it! They hold the motor in place inside the engine compartment, all on their own. A perfect fit:

I gathered up some bits from the electronics spare parts box, including a 'flying vee' battery box and an on-off switch:

Now let's tape everything up to see if the motor actually works:

Contact! Switch on! Eureka - it's alive!

I messed up the alignment when I cut out the opening in the base for the on-off switch - it was off centre. So I squared off a piece of sheet styrene to cover up my goof:

All the components seemed to fit okay inside the base:

Blast! A check from the side showed the batteries poking out from the bottom:

The solution was to lay two strips of .040 syrene strip around the edge of the base to raise it up a little:

Okay, now let's glue all the bits inside:

The kit stand is all buttoned up. A thorough soaking with some gloss black will follow later:

Next step: mock up the cockpit and fuselage to check fit and move on from there. 'Till next time!
Best...Ted...

WIP Build:
Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6;
Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

Previous WIP Builds:
Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

August 16th, 2010, 7:18 pm #2

....another slang term for you! it's Midlands English for brilliant.
I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Woz

August 16th, 2010, 7:23 pm #3

Hey Ho fellow Airfixer's - here's the start of Teddy boy's contribution to the Battle Of Britain Group Build, the iconic 1/24 scale Spitfire! This will be pretty much out of the box, plane on the kit stand, with the electric motor installed. Which is where we begin. As many of you know, the kit instructions offer no information on installing the electric motor:

The instructions that come with the 'purchase-separately' motor would have you install it inside the kit engine, which I want to build as a side display at a later date:

However...on the same sprue as the stand parts are these mysterious looking items. Hmmm. I wonder...

Aha! I knew it! They hold the motor in place inside the engine compartment, all on their own. A perfect fit:

I gathered up some bits from the electronics spare parts box, including a 'flying vee' battery box and an on-off switch:

I messed up the alignment when I cut out the opening in the base for the on-off switch - it was off centre. So I squared off a piece of sheet styrene to cover up my goof:

The solution was to lay two strips of .040 syrene strip around the edge of the base to raise it up a little:

The kit stand is all buttoned up. A thorough soaking with some gloss black will follow later:

Next step: mock up the cockpit and fuselage to check fit and move on from there. 'Till next time!
Best...Ted...

WIP Build:
Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6;

Previous WIP Builds:
Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
One whole post dedicated to a stand - one single plastic stand - that's amazing, what a way to go Ted

Next post - painting and decalling the stand ?

But, I like the motor, I have been thinking of using one too in some project or other, haven't decided yet what - though you make it look so easy and fun... great well explained post, very inspiring and captivating - neat work

Better get cracking at my Spit too...

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium

Airfix - 1/72 Ilyushin IL-28
Group Build : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part V - Part VI - Part VII - Part VIII
Airfix - 1/72 Bristol Beaufighter Mk.II (Magna Models conversion)
Group Build : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part V

August 16th, 2010, 9:49 pm #4

You know, many can't connect this with Airfix. The myths flying around have turned generations of modellers into avoiding them. So this forum might soon be called "The Heretic forum" or something...

Thanks for showing your work!

Peter

August 16th, 2010, 11:05 pm #5

Best...Ted...

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
Great idea the Big Spitty on a stand, will look great especially with its own spinning prop!!!
More soon please...

Thanks,
Allan

Multiple Mosquito Build, 1/72: Intro Part 1 Part 1.5 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Fini

Fathers Day A6M2: Intro Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Finish

Airfix Stuka 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Finish

Airfix Hurricane 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Finish

Airfix Orion III: Build Tutorial Finish

August 16th, 2010, 11:25 pm #6

Best...Ted...

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
Great stuff Ted, hiding all that gear inside the stand, my guess is that this approach will become a household method! Ingenious and neat!
Can't wait to see more of the build come along. One problem I know you will now avoid is fitting that big merlin inside those cowlings!

Cheers

Andrew

August 17th, 2010, 1:43 am #7

....another slang term for you! it's Midlands English for brilliant.
I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Woz
Thanks Woz! Bostin' - dang, a new word! Love it! I'll add it to my (now) growing new dictionary of Midlands slang!
Best! Ted!

WIP Build:
The Big Spit Pt.1

Previous WIP Builds:
Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;
Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

August 17th, 2010, 1:52 am #8

One whole post dedicated to a stand - one single plastic stand - that's amazing, what a way to go Ted

Next post - painting and decalling the stand ?

But, I like the motor, I have been thinking of using one too in some project or other, haven't decided yet what - though you make it look so easy and fun... great well explained post, very inspiring and captivating - neat work

Better get cracking at my Spit too...

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium

Airfix - 1/72 Ilyushin IL-28
Group Build : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part V - Part VI - Part VII - Part VIII
Airfix - 1/72 Bristol Beaufighter Mk.II (Magna Models conversion)
Group Build : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part V
William, you slay me man! I'm still laughing at your incisive comment! Yes, an entire post dedicated to the stand - a single stand. Y'know, I thought about that as I took the photos: "Hmmm. First post on the Spit build, and not a single picture of an actual Spitfire - I wonder if anyone will notice?" Like I said before - NOTHING gets past you! Okay, okay, I PROMISE to post ACTUAL PICS OF A SPITFIRE next time! Chuckle...snort...wheeze... Hey! Know anyone who wants a 1/24 scale Merlin engine? I've decided it'll be around 2020 before I get around to building it as a separate display!
Best...Ted...

WIP Build:
The Big Spit Pt.1

Previous WIP Builds:
Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;
Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

August 17th, 2010, 1:56 am #9

You know, many can't connect this with Airfix. The myths flying around have turned generations of modellers into avoiding them. So this forum might soon be called "The Heretic forum" or something...

Thanks for showing your work!

Peter
I was as surprised as anyone when the electric motor mounts fit like a glove. I was hoping the rest of the kit would be the same way, but Yegads, as I test fit the parts I'm already discovering otherwise!
Best...Ted...
PS - wouldn't be the first time I've wandered into the "heretical" side!

WIP Build:
The Big Spit Pt.1

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

August 17th, 2010, 2:25 am #10

Great idea the Big Spitty on a stand, will look great especially with its own spinning prop!!!
More soon please...

Thanks,
Allan

Multiple Mosquito Build, 1/72: Intro Part 1 Part 1.5 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Fini

Fathers Day A6M2: Intro Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Finish

Airfix Stuka 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Finish

Airfix Hurricane 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Finish

Airfix Orion III: Build Tutorial Finish
"Amazing"? Hee hee - thanks - that's a huge accolade! I have to admit this kit has me intimidated - To paraphrase Winston: So many have done so much with it with what seems so little effort. More soon - after all, 'tis August and the skies are clear. Autumn is nigh, the game is afoot, and the enemy (the deadline) approaches! All signs harken to those halcyon days of long ago! My mind's eye sweeps in a formation of Spitfires off my wing, and mine ears hear the song of the Merlin's... Pop! Okay, back to cutting plastic!
Best...Ted...

WIP Build:
The Big Spit Pt.1

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig