ABoBGB - Hang On! There's One More!

ABoBGB - Hang On! There's One More!

October 31st, 2010, 8:14 pm #1

Apologies to A.V.M Buttrick and my fellow AGB Squadron mates! Pilot Officer Preston has just returned to the airfield after being temporarily grounded on urgent family business and is highly chagrined indeed to have missed the Big Scramble on Saturday! Nevertheless, here is progress to date on The Big Spit. Starboard side cockpit is complete with gluing in of the dashboard and installation of landing gear controller hydraulic wires:

Wash will follow before closeup. Work is progressing on port side cockpit detail:

Working on the elevator trim tab wheel:

Dry fitting of various cockpit components. Thanks to Konrad S. for the tip on using disposable aluminum baking tins for bits such as the map case:

What a great Airfix Group Build this was! It's over for most of you, but it'll continue for me because this build is still going to take me awhile. Terrific fun, awesome work here and top o' the hat to AVM Buttrick!
Best...Ted...

WIP Build:
The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4;

Previous WIP Builds:
Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;
Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

November 1st, 2010, 2:06 am #2

s

November 1st, 2010, 4:50 am #3

Apologies to A.V.M Buttrick and my fellow AGB Squadron mates! Pilot Officer Preston has just returned to the airfield after being temporarily grounded on urgent family business and is highly chagrined indeed to have missed the Big Scramble on Saturday! Nevertheless, here is progress to date on The Big Spit. Starboard side cockpit is complete with gluing in of the dashboard and installation of landing gear controller hydraulic wires:

Wash will follow before closeup. Work is progressing on port side cockpit detail:

Dry fitting of various cockpit components. Thanks to Konrad S. for the tip on using disposable aluminum baking tins for bits such as the map case:

What a great Airfix Group Build this was! It's over for most of you, but it'll continue for me because this build is still going to take me awhile. Terrific fun, awesome work here and top o' the hat to AVM Buttrick!
Best...Ted...

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:
Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;
Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
G'day Ted,

Yeah, the Mk1a? is coming along quite well there. I notice you are using the plastic rod for the cabling around the pilot office; how do you get it to behave and not break my good man? Keep up the good work love to see it finished soon.

Best regards

Phil.

November 1st, 2010, 7:45 am #4

Best...Ted...

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
absolute madness!

Neil

Always work hard and do your best. It makes life easier for the rest of us ...

http://www.neilscrim.co.uk

November 1st, 2010, 2:53 pm #5

Best...Ted...

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
Sweet additions there. Again...you can read the darn plates and probably turn on several gernerators etc.

Good show!

Regards,

Dan From Tacoma, Washington USA

November 1st, 2010, 10:13 pm #6

Best...Ted...

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
I haven't seen such a realistic build, wonderful to watch.
Missed you on Sat. but worth the wait for this !!!

Thanks,
Allan

Multiple Mosquito Build, 1/72: Intro Part 1 Part 1.5 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Fini

Fathers Day A6M2: Intro Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Finish

Airfix Stuka 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Finish

Airfix Hurricane 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Finish

Airfix Orion III: Build Tutorial Finish

November 1st, 2010, 10:29 pm #7

Best...Ted...

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
Please keep those pics coming!

Best wishes,

Dermot

November 2nd, 2010, 3:31 am #8

G'day Ted,

Yeah, the Mk1a? is coming along quite well there. I notice you are using the plastic rod for the cabling around the pilot office; how do you get it to behave and not break my good man? Keep up the good work love to see it finished soon.

Best regards

Phil.
...Ya gotta love it, Phil! In the photos, the 'rod' looks bigger than it actually is. I should have included an X-Acto blade in the photos for scale. The piping is basically stretched sprue pulled in various thickness. I glue one end and let it dry. Then I loop/pull/stretch it to the next attachment point and a little dab of liquid cement will do ya. Thanks for the comments - I managed to finish up the port side detail bits tonight, tomorrow (hopefully) there will be some interior green on that cockpit sidewall. We must press on!
Best...Ted...

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

November 2nd, 2010, 3:34 am #9

absolute madness!

Neil

Always work hard and do your best. It makes life easier for the rest of us ...

http://www.neilscrim.co.uk
...this IS absolute madness, Neil! (You should talk!) What started out as an "OOTB" build quickly degenerated into a serious case of detail insanity. But hey - the upside is that a lot of the cockpit detail WILL be visible once the fuselage is closed up!
Best...Ted...

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

November 2nd, 2010, 3:42 am #10

Sweet additions there. Again...you can read the darn plates and probably turn on several gernerators etc.

Good show!

Regards,

Dan From Tacoma, Washington USA
...but I'm envious of your production rate - Dang, I wish I could turn 'em out like that!! I love the idea of a 'War At Night' build - but I'm going to have to take a pass just to get this Spit built! Ah well, at least the War At Night theme has me looking at some of the heavies in my collection (all non-Airfix, unfortunately) and generating some ideas!
Best...Ted...

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig