Abatross DV or Albatross DVa ? Pheons Models....

Abatross DV or Albatross DVa ? Pheons Models....

March 19th, 2012, 1:46 pm #1

Transfer ref number 1/32 scale : 32012. Any idea if from that transfer the Albatross from Ltn Paul Baumer Jasta5 Boistoncourt Aerodrome January 1918 is an Albatross DV or DVa ? Same question for the Albatron in that same Pheons Model transfer ref:3212 with the star of David on the fuselage.It is important because Wingnut Model provide two Albatross the DV & DVa. Thanks you for your Help.By the way what was the difference between the two type of Abatross ?Take care.

Eric Descarrier
London
UK

March 19th, 2012, 2:03 pm #2

In the DV the aileron control cables go up from the fuselage near the cockpit into the upper wing. You will see control horns on the ailerons where cables exit the upper wing to attach to the aileron. In the DVa the aileron cables go through the lower wing then up to the aileron ( no control horns). The DVa had a little bit more horsepower and heavier construction, but these changes probably aren't visible in a model.

March 19th, 2012, 2:18 pm #3

Transfer ref number 1/32 scale : 32012. Any idea if from that transfer the Albatross from Ltn Paul Baumer Jasta5 Boistoncourt Aerodrome January 1918 is an Albatross DV or DVa ? Same question for the Albatron in that same Pheons Model transfer ref:3212 with the star of David on the fuselage.It is important because Wingnut Model provide two Albatross the DV & DVa. Thanks you for your Help.By the way what was the difference between the two type of Abatross ?Take care.

Eric Descarrier
London
UK
Hello Eric,

on decal set 32012 option 1 is for a D.V, D.4409/17 of Uffz.Paul Bäumer, when he was with Jasta Boelcke in September 1917 and not Jasta 5.

In the same decal set, the Jasta 12 aircraft with a six pointed black and white star is also a D.V.

The principle difference (and the only worthwhile external difference)between the D.V and Va was the means of actuation of the ailerons. The D.V ailerons were operated via cables in the upper wing and had metal shrouds around the aileron accentuating mechanism above and below the upper wing. In the D.Va the ailerons had the operating cable passing through the lower wing and up to the aileron control lever.

Very early D.Vs had a head rest behind the cockpit. Additional bracing from the interplane struts to the wing leading edge was introduced in D.Va production - although many V and Va's had this added in service.

Hope that helps!
Rowan,

Pheon Models

March 19th, 2012, 2:20 pm #4

Eric Descarrier
London
UK
A D.Va has a small strut from the leading edge of the lower wing to one of the interplane struts. It is about a foot long on the real plane but it should be easily visible in most side and frontal shots.

I hope that helps,

Chris

March 19th, 2012, 2:27 pm #5

Hello Eric,

on decal set 32012 option 1 is for a D.V, D.4409/17 of Uffz.Paul Bäumer, when he was with Jasta Boelcke in September 1917 and not Jasta 5.

In the same decal set, the Jasta 12 aircraft with a six pointed black and white star is also a D.V.

The principle difference (and the only worthwhile external difference)between the D.V and Va was the means of actuation of the ailerons. The D.V ailerons were operated via cables in the upper wing and had metal shrouds around the aileron accentuating mechanism above and below the upper wing. In the D.Va the ailerons had the operating cable passing through the lower wing and up to the aileron control lever.

Very early D.Vs had a head rest behind the cockpit. Additional bracing from the interplane struts to the wing leading edge was introduced in D.Va production - although many V and Va's had this added in service.

Hope that helps!
Rowan,

Pheon Models
to Wingnuts. I am trying to get through your Pheon website and e-mail. I am In income next Wenesday and I wish to order this set 32012.I am French I have talked several time with you and your wife at the RAF Museum Hendon.Is the Paul Baumer Albatross has the lozange camouflage on the top of the wings ? same question for the Star of David Albatross on that set 32012. You may reply to me if you wish via my e-mail:ericdescarrier@hotmail.co.uk. Take care and my regards to your wife. Give me your website and e-mail because there are a lot of Pheonmodels website dedicated of review of decals and couldn't find your website and e-mail to order goods.

Eric Descarrier
London
Uk

March 19th, 2012, 2:47 pm #6

The Baumer D.V has the Mauve/Green camouflage on the wings, as does the Jasta 12 machine. There are also 2 very good Jasta 5 Albatros sheets, one for lozenge-winged machines, one for camo. I always had planned to do the Baumer machine (discussed it with Rowan before the sheet was released), but it seems everyone is doing that one, and I'm just too slow! Have to think of something else...

Pheon does not have a website; you need to contact him directly via email.

Listings and prices can be found here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/inde ... wforum=227

http://www.greatwaraviation.com/forum/i ... board=46.0

Rich
Last edited by Pete Hicks on March 19th, 2012, 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 19th, 2012, 2:51 pm #7

A D.Va has a small strut from the leading edge of the lower wing to one of the interplane struts. It is about a foot long on the real plane but it should be easily visible in most side and frontal shots.

I hope that helps,

Chris
Ulrich Neckel's Jasta 12 machine, for example. In the famous D.V/Dr.I lineup photos (taken the day von Tutschek was killed), the braces can clearly be seen, but they're nearly always missed in profiles. All of the "experts" have repeatedly told me that it's a D.V; it's difficult to see enough detail to be sure, but I take their word for it.

Rich

March 19th, 2012, 4:22 pm #8

Eric Descarrier
London
UK
It doesn't matter which kit you order - D.V or D.Va - the sprues are identical and caters for both.

I don't mean to take business away from Pheon, but have you looked at the separate Albatros decal shets that Wingnut offers? Lots of interesting schemes there.

March 19th, 2012, 4:59 pm #9

Look at Sprue A. There is a small sprue attached to it, and that is where the change happens, with a different sub sprue for either mark. Granted there are only 4 or five parts that change, but they are not identical.

Best.

Adrian

March 19th, 2012, 5:35 pm #10

I just saw the greyed-out parts on the sprue layout diagram on my D.V kit and jumped to conclusions. Thanks for the correction, Adrian!