A Zero high - part I

A Zero high - part I

March 27th, 2012, 9:51 pm #1

We will not paint this one purple - or maybe we just might

Ahoj Airfix critters

I was hoping to finish one more Pacific project before month end but the missus had other interesting plans with me - so I hade a late start with my new project yesterday evening

I will use the Jo-Han Rufe parts on the new Airfix Zero

Earlier this year when I was on a Zero high, a good friend donated his Jo-Han kit to me, to complete my small scale Zero manufacturer collection

The kit has parts for a version with wheels (the Zero) - or with floats (the Rufe)

It's a very nice tooling - especially for its age (early or mid 1970s ???)

With very familiar (new Airfix !) engraved panel lines

Though the smaller parts - especially the wheels - are rather basic

Decals look old and cracked - Nakajima was the subcontractor to build the Rufe version

Note the 3 part canopy - which may be useful to show off the nice Airfix interior

A long time ago people believed Rufes to be purple

And think about it... there are really not many opportunities to get a purple model in your collection

Work started with assembling the Airfix cockpit

Painted in Vallejo Model Air Interior Green with a 1/5 drop of Amarillo Yellow to represent Nakajima interior green

But my black oil wash made it look too dark

A Tamiya tape seatbelt was the only addition

The fuselage halves needed some extra motivation to stay together

My first idea was to use the bottom centre wing of the Rufe kit - but it was 1 cm too short from leading edge to trailing edge, so I decided to close the Airfix wheel bays

It took me some time to realize separate pieces are provided for this - as the wheels up doors were not a great fit

The tail cone is different

The joys of being Freddy Kruger for 2 small minutes

.... and another 2 minutes later

It was a very reasonable fit - except the vertical stabs on the Jo-Han parts are rather thick

The Rufe had the radiator (?) in the pylon of the main float (if I expressed myself correctly), so this part had to go from the Airfix wing

First the upper wings - with just a little bit of glue at the front and the back

Then use more glue at the bottom to seal the joins

No escape possible for the bottom wing

I decided to fill the deep Airfix panel lines

But I will do this in two steps - first the fuselage and the wheel bay doors

I'm afraid I will not be able to finish this one before month end due to my late start - but I will try to get a lot of fun out of it - and so far so good... but there's a lot of sanding ahead of me (oh why did I pick this project, I wonder...)

What about the other parts in the Jo-Han kit ?

Well... maybe I will build it on the 1/72 forum with the kit's Saburo Sakai decal markings - for those interested, this is one of the best "pilot biographies" I read in a long time - very hard to put down - highly recommended

I also would like to thank everyone for the comments on my Hellcat a great many days ago - and I will now do my best to catch up with all the great work done here while my (very friendly) girlfriend kept me busy - sigh...

Thanks for your kind interest people - bless you all !

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / Plastic Stories

1/72 - Special Hobby - Bolton Paul Balliol T.2 : Part I - Part II
1/72 - Airfix - Hellcat : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV/End

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

March 27th, 2012, 9:59 pm #2

they were built from the get-go without wheels or wheelwells, just sheeted over with smooth metal without a trace. I believe the area had extra gas tanks installed.

And it looks great! Keep on building!

Greg in OK

March 27th, 2012, 10:30 pm #3

Ahoj Airfix critters

I was hoping to finish one more Pacific project before month end but the missus had other interesting plans with me - so I hade a late start with my new project yesterday evening

Earlier this year when I was on a Zero high, a good friend donated his Jo-Han kit to me, to complete my small scale Zero manufacturer collection

The kit has parts for a version with wheels (the Zero) - or with floats (the Rufe)

Decals look old and cracked - Nakajima was the subcontractor to build the Rufe version

Note the 3 part canopy - which may be useful to show off the nice Airfix interior

And think about it... there are really not many opportunities to get a purple model in your collection

Painted in Vallejo Model Air Interior Green with a 1/5 drop of Amarillo Yellow to represent Nakajima interior green

My first idea was to use the bottom centre wing of the Rufe kit - but it was 1 cm too short from leading edge to trailing edge, so I decided to close the Airfix wheel bays

It took me some time to realize separate pieces are provided for this - as the wheels up doors were not a great fit

It was a very reasonable fit - except the vertical stabs on the Jo-Han parts are rather thick

The Rufe had the radiator (?) in the pylon of the main float (if I expressed myself correctly), so this part had to go from the Airfix wing

First the upper wings - with just a little bit of glue at the front and the back

I'm afraid I will not be able to finish this one before month end due to my late start - but I will try to get a lot of fun out of it - and so far so good... but there's a lot of sanding ahead of me (oh why did I pick this project, I wonder...)

Well... maybe I will build it on the 1/72 forum with the kit's Saburo Sakai decal markings - for those interested, this is one of the best "pilot biographies" I read in a long time - very hard to put down - highly recommended

I also would like to thank everyone for the comments on my Hellcat a great many days ago - and I will now do my best to catch up with all the great work done here while my (very friendly) girlfriend kept me busy - sigh...

* <i></i> * *

Nice one you are doing, all that cutting and chopping what fun enjoy

Fred

March 27th, 2012, 10:30 pm #4

they were built from the get-go without wheels or wheelwells, just sheeted over with smooth metal without a trace. I believe the area had extra gas tanks installed.

And it looks great! Keep on building!

Greg in OK
That's why I fill & sand this area

I didn't know they had extra gas tanks there - but makes sense I think

Thanks for dropping in

* <i></i> * *

March 27th, 2012, 11:07 pm #5

Ahoj Airfix critters

* <i></i> * *

G'day William,

I have to say you have a noble use for the old Jo-Han Rufe kit. Its good to see great basic conversion techniques and the novel use of mouse traps to hold things together. Keep going with it your on the right track with the new Airfix zero on floats. Airfix are bringing out their great new Swordfish on floats in 1/72 as well. Good work William it looking brilliant so far.

PHIL

March 28th, 2012, 1:23 am #6

Ahoj Airfix critters

* <i></i> * *

Same kit, got it about a week ago. I was planning on building and painting purple...
I'm thinking I would have just re-finished the Airfix tail rather than making the Jo-Han fit....just me.

Let's hope you can recover soon enough to get building.........

Thanks,
Allan

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Multiple Mosquito Build, 1/72: Intro Part 1 Part 1.5 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Fini

Fathers Day A6M2: Intro Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Finish

Airfix Stuka 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Finish

Airfix Hurricane 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Finish

Airfix Orion III: Build Tutorial Finish

March 28th, 2012, 7:19 am #7

Ahoj Airfix critters

* <i></i> * *

Can't wait to see how this conversion will end...
Massimo LaCivita

March 28th, 2012, 3:05 pm #8

Ahoj Airfix critters

* <i></i> * *

n/t

March 28th, 2012, 4:22 pm #9

Ahoj Airfix critters

* <i></i> * *

Although you could do worse than being with your very understanding girl!

Great idea to cross kit. This will be one to watch. You are becoming quite the innovator!

Keep us posted.

Regards,

Dan From Tacoma, Washington USA

March 28th, 2012, 7:23 pm #10

That's why I fill & sand this area

I didn't know they had extra gas tanks there - but makes sense I think

Thanks for dropping in

* <i></i> * *

between the "Zero" and "Rufe"