A time-warp back to the MFAKGB ....

A time-warp back to the MFAKGB ....

May 28th, 2012, 5:42 pm #1

(for newcomers MFAKGB= My First Airfix Kit Group Build)

Long time lurkers to this area may remember I did a loco for the MFAK:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/578046/m ... 310718750/

And before that build I'd converted an Airfix QLT into civilian guise specifically to go with the loco project.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/578046/m ... 305127731/

I planned to build a little diorama for them with this kind of layout:

After this point, life got in the way but every now and then I dipped back into the project. My main problem was finding suitable figures. Now, you would have thought getting railway figures would have been easy, but no. The poses either weren't available or frighteningly expensive (£10+ for 6 figs and I only wanted 2). I wasn't getting anywhere so I decided to axe this layout.

The project was put on the back burner ... again. After a while I came up with another idea and built a bankside, the only problem was I couldn't include the QL. After much sucking of teeth I decided that this layout didn't work either.

Logic told me to re-start the whole diorama from scratch but I really couldn't be ar$ed to do that so I hatched another idea that allowed me to include the QL. What I needed was a building and some time ago I'd been given a couple of old Airfix signal boxes already pre-built.

They wouldn't work for my needs but I decided to use one of them as a skeleton for a new building. Out with the mini drill with its lethal cutting blade and I ended up with this:

After much planning (and more sucking of teeth) I built a couple of skins to go on the signal box.

These were glued onto the skeleton but it needed a fair bit of pre-planning work. The brick pattern walls look plain so I'll need to add bits of interest like lighting, pipes, fans, cabling, guardrail. BTW, the roof will probably be corrugated sheet.

Oh, one other thing, there'll be a guardrail by that door so someone won't go falling over the edge of the platform ...

Who knows when the next 'gripping' installment will be posted, it's taken me months to get this far as it is

Neil

If you wake up in the morning feeling like you've had it, be grateful.

http://www.neilscrim.co.uk
Last edited by neilscrim on May 29th, 2012, 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 28th, 2012, 10:07 pm #2

I like the way how you adapt yourself to the situation, and come up with a more interesting solution - that diorama will be a show winner, captivating reality pretty good

Still like that QLT

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / Plastic Stories

1/72 - Special Hobby - TT-1 Pinto : Part I (incl Panthers Cup 2012 show report)
1/72 - Airfix/Jo-Han - Mitsubishi Zero/Rufe conversion: Part I

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

May 28th, 2012, 10:35 pm #3

And before that build I'd converted an Airfix QLT into civilian guise specifically to go with the loco project.

After this point, life got in the way but every now and then I dipped back into the project. My main problem was finding suitable figures. Now, you would have thought getting railway figures would have been easy, but no. The poses either weren't available or frighteningly expensive (£10+ for 6 figs and I only wanted 2). I wasn't getting anywhere so I decided to axe this layout.

The project was put on the back burner ... again. After a while I came up with another idea and built a bankside, the only problem was I couldn't include the QL. After much sucking of teeth I decided that this layout didn't work either.

Logic told me to re-start the whole diorama from scratch but I really couldn't be ar$ed to do that so I hatched another idea that allowed me to include the QL. What I needed was a building and some time ago I'd been given a couple of old Airfix signal boxes already pre-built.

They wouldn't work for my needs but I decided to use one of them as a skeleton for a new building. Out with the mini drill with its lethal cutting blade and I ended up with this:

After much planning (and more sucking of teeth) I built a couple of skins to go on the signal box.

These were glued onto the skeleton but it needed a fair bit of pre-planning work. The brick pattern walls look plain so I'll need to add bits of interest like lighting, pipes, fans, cabling, guardrail. BTW, the roof will probably be corrugated sheet.

Oh, one other thing, there'll be a guardrail by that door so someone won't go falling over the edge of the platform ...

Who knows when the next 'gripping' installment will be posted, it's taken me months to get this far as it is

Neil

if you can describe what you are after I'll have a look through some of my old railway figures and see what I can come up with if you like.

To be honest, the best railway figs were usually adapted from the luftwaffe figures by airfix, as they seemed to have the most appropriate poses for some reason.

Either that, or if you fancy cutting some strip for the slats, I've got some GWR bench seats you are more than welcome to, together with some seated figures, which you could muck about with to have the crew eating their lunch or suchlike...let me know and I'll have a scour if you want.

Also, I've always thought that this model would look brilliant with one of the Airfix 16 ton mineral wagons in a suitably beaten up state, but 16T mineral wagons are a entire website on their own, so many variations. I've always thought that this was one of the most influential kits ever moulded by Airfix, and one that still stands up to most of the rest of the market today, the only real improvement needed being to the hinges. This might be heresy to some but I bet you that that little wagon kit was one of Airfix's biggest sellers over the years.

Give us a shout if you want me to have a look in the train box.

Cheers,

Eddie

May 29th, 2012, 7:24 am #4

Neil

towards completion. I guess pauese and rethink are part of our lives and hence of our hobby. I look forward to seeing your next installment, any time it might be
Cheers
Luigi

May 29th, 2012, 10:35 am #5

I like the way how you adapt yourself to the situation, and come up with a more interesting solution - that diorama will be a show winner, captivating reality pretty good

Still like that QLT

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / Plastic Stories

1/72 - Special Hobby - TT-1 Pinto : Part I (incl Panthers Cup 2012 show report)
1/72 - Airfix/Jo-Han - Mitsubishi Zero/Rufe conversion: Part I

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God
I have the feeling that the latest plan might not work out either! We'll see ...

Neil

May 29th, 2012, 10:42 am #6

if you can describe what you are after I'll have a look through some of my old railway figures and see what I can come up with if you like.

To be honest, the best railway figs were usually adapted from the luftwaffe figures by airfix, as they seemed to have the most appropriate poses for some reason.

Either that, or if you fancy cutting some strip for the slats, I've got some GWR bench seats you are more than welcome to, together with some seated figures, which you could muck about with to have the crew eating their lunch or suchlike...let me know and I'll have a scour if you want.

Also, I've always thought that this model would look brilliant with one of the Airfix 16 ton mineral wagons in a suitably beaten up state, but 16T mineral wagons are a entire website on their own, so many variations. I've always thought that this was one of the most influential kits ever moulded by Airfix, and one that still stands up to most of the rest of the market today, the only real improvement needed being to the hinges. This might be heresy to some but I bet you that that little wagon kit was one of Airfix's biggest sellers over the years.

Give us a shout if you want me to have a look in the train box.

Cheers,

Eddie
Thanks for the offer. If I need to go back to that route I might get in touch. What kind of figures am I looking for? Difficult to answer that as I don't know myself! It's one of those siutations where I don't know what I'm looking for until I see it.

I've also got a meat van (dapol moulding) which looks to have lovely detail, but other than building it in its own right I've got no way of fitting it into a diorama, the current one isn't big enough.

It may end up as yet another bit of loft insulation ...

Neil

May 29th, 2012, 5:53 pm #7

Geoff Kent's book number 2 about rolling stock...there is a fantastic variety of what you can do with the meat van....I'll try and post some pics for you.

Cheers,

Eddie

May 30th, 2012, 2:19 pm #8

Neil

I had almost forgot about this! Looks great!

Cheers, Vic