A tale of two trainers pt. 2

A tale of two trainers pt. 2

July 29th, 2012, 6:58 pm #1

Decals are on! They looked good on the sheet, and it was very clear that they were quite thin. And yep: They did cause problems.

The wrong head rests (see previous installment) are very visible!

Two different versions of Sylvester the cat on the tail. I see now that control surfaces are not very visible, especially on the rudder. Too late for scribing so I'll try accentuation with pencil later.

That "N" looks odd... this was one of the decals that gave me problems. Can probably be solved by some very careful touching up with paint.

The national marking on the lower wing is slightly too large. I ruined it (it folded up and exploded into a zillion pieces when I gently tried to seperate the folded layers) so I had to consult my decal bank for a replacement.

I should box in those wheel wells. Dunno how I could forget that.

Some progress has been made on the Iskra as well.

There is no sidewall detail in the cockpit area and I didn't add any, as I expect it will not be visible through the rather thick canopy anyway. The kit does supply cockpit floor, sticks, seats and instrument panels but the panels are without instrument details (completely flat). The decal sheet does not supply instrument panels either so I made my own using pics found on the internet. They were taken at an oblique angle but the perspective correction tool in my graphics package warped the panels into the correct shape. I them just printed them in the correct size on plain paper (I had run out of decal paper) and glued in place. The only other additions to the cockpit were seatsbelts.

This is a short run kit and it shows. The surface is slightly rough on most parts (similar to old Heller kits), probably intended to help paint adherence. The moulds are a bit worn, however, so there are completely smooth areas on some parts such as the wings. I will have to sand down the entire surface in preparation for the natural metal finish.

Panel lines are quite nice, though.

And speaking of the finish... I wanted to do the Indian option on the decal sheet. The painting and decalling instructions didn't match the decals themselves, so I decided to buy the Indian boxing of Master Craft's Iskra from ebay. At £3.30 it was slightly more expensive than my first Iskra, bought at Jadar Hobby for €2.40.

The Indian boxing proved to be even more enigmatic. According to the box it included four decal options - Polish as well as Indian. On opening the box I found a decal sheet with just one Indian option - but with a load of stencils not present in the other boxing! Strangely the instruction sheet (including painting and decalling instructions) are identical in the two kits. Decals from the Polish boxing on the left, Indian boxing on the right.

As expected fit of the major parts were so so, but nothing that a bit of putty and sanding can't take care of. I'm still optimistic about this one.

As I bought the Indian boxing just for the decals, I have one complete Iskra kit with Polish decals that needs a good home. Any takers?

July 30th, 2012, 7:23 am #2

THese are coming along very well Claus - the Pinto is a real cutie... n/t

July 30th, 2012, 6:35 pm #3

Decals are on! They looked good on the sheet, and it was very clear that they were quite thin. And yep: They did cause problems.

Two different versions of Sylvester the cat on the tail. I see now that control surfaces are not very visible, especially on the rudder. Too late for scribing so I'll try accentuation with pencil later.

That "N" looks odd... this was one of the decals that gave me problems. Can probably be solved by some very careful touching up with paint.

The national marking on the lower wing is slightly too large. I ruined it (it folded up and exploded into a zillion pieces when I gently tried to seperate the folded layers) so I had to consult my decal bank for a replacement.

There is no sidewall detail in the cockpit area and I didn't add any, as I expect it will not be visible through the rather thick canopy anyway. The kit does supply cockpit floor, sticks, seats and instrument panels but the panels are without instrument details (completely flat). The decal sheet does not supply instrument panels either so I made my own using pics found on the internet. They were taken at an oblique angle but the perspective correction tool in my graphics package warped the panels into the correct shape. I them just printed them in the correct size on plain paper (I had run out of decal paper) and glued in place. The only other additions to the cockpit were seatsbelts.

This is a short run kit and it shows. The surface is slightly rough on most parts (similar to old Heller kits), probably intended to help paint adherence. The moulds are a bit worn, however, so there are completely smooth areas on some parts such as the wings. I will have to sand down the entire surface in preparation for the natural metal finish.

And speaking of the finish... I wanted to do the Indian option on the decal sheet. The painting and decalling instructions didn't match the decals themselves, so I decided to buy the Indian boxing of Master Craft's Iskra from ebay. At £3.30 it was slightly more expensive than my first Iskra, bought at Jadar Hobby for €2.40.

The Indian boxing proved to be even more enigmatic. According to the box it included four decal options - Polish as well as Indian. On opening the box I found a decal sheet with just one Indian option - but with a load of stencils not present in the other boxing! Strangely the instruction sheet (including painting and decalling instructions) are identical in the two kits. Decals from the Polish boxing on the left, Indian boxing on the right.

As expected fit of the major parts were so so, but nothing that a bit of putty and sanding can't take care of. I'm still optimistic about this one.

As I bought the Indian boxing just for the decals, I have one complete Iskra kit with Polish decals that needs a good home. Any takers?

They both look real great!
Am in the middle of building a trainer myself - the good old Heller 1/72 Fuoga Magister

Have sent you a PM regarding the Iskra.

Are you going to Esbjerg this year?

Cheers
Hans J Reggelsen

July 30th, 2012, 9:02 pm #4

That Sylvester decal looks very special - and it gives the model a very attractive look

Thanks for bringing up boxing in the wheel wells... now I have one more extra thing to so as well !

I like the blue seat belts in the Iskra - no matter how thick the canopy - I'm sure they will be visible

Strange thing about the decals - I once also bought an extra Mastercraft kit for the decals - with the same result, having now two cheap Mastercraft Fw-190D's - but then I had an idea, something with a Zwilling... now maybe that's something for the extra Iskra ?

Good to see you didn't forget the plastic yet during this summer

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / Plastic Stories

1/72 - Special Hobby - TT-1 Pinto : Part I (incl Panthers Cup 2012 show report)
1/72 - Airfix/Jo-Han - Mitsubishi Zero/Rufe conversion: Part I
1/72 - Airfix - Douglas Devastator : Part I
1/72 - Airfix - Spitfire Mk.22 : Part I (incl Flying Legends 2012 show report) - Part II

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

August 2nd, 2012, 9:06 pm #5

THese are coming along very well Claus - the Pinto is a real cutie... n/t
Too cute in fact as it really shouldn't be white but a very light grey!

August 2nd, 2012, 9:09 pm #6

Hi Claus!

They both look real great!
Am in the middle of building a trainer myself - the good old Heller 1/72 Fuoga Magister

Have sent you a PM regarding the Iskra.

Are you going to Esbjerg this year?

Cheers
Hans J Reggelsen
I have never attended that show, actually, but I have thought that this year should be my first

Thanks for th ekind words on the builds.

Hope you'll like the Iskra, I sent you. Do share your build in this forum!

August 2nd, 2012, 9:20 pm #7

It's been too long already

That Sylvester decal looks very special - and it gives the model a very attractive look

Thanks for bringing up boxing in the wheel wells... now I have one more extra thing to so as well !

I like the blue seat belts in the Iskra - no matter how thick the canopy - I'm sure they will be visible

Strange thing about the decals - I once also bought an extra Mastercraft kit for the decals - with the same result, having now two cheap Mastercraft Fw-190D's - but then I had an idea, something with a Zwilling... now maybe that's something for the extra Iskra ?

Good to see you didn't forget the plastic yet during this summer

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / Plastic Stories

1/72 - Special Hobby - TT-1 Pinto : Part I (incl Panthers Cup 2012 show report)
1/72 - Airfix/Jo-Han - Mitsubishi Zero/Rufe conversion: Part I
1/72 - Airfix - Douglas Devastator : Part I
1/72 - Airfix - Spitfire Mk.22 : Part I (incl Flying Legends 2012 show report) - Part II

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God
...are just a product of my imagination. I painted the Iskra cockpit in Vallejo Panzer Grey, which is quite dark, so I thought that blue belts would light it up a bit. And besides, it was the only masking tape I had to hand at that moment...

Looking forward to yours finished - you were doing a yellow bird, right?

I have seen those Mastercraft FWs advertised - how are they? Airfix repops? Copies of another manufacturer's Fw or completely different moulds?

BTW have you seen the same manufacturer's F-16 with the Belgian Spitfire markings? The decals are excellent, and with the kit priced at less than an AM decal sheet it is a real bargain if you are interested in this scheme. Just add those excellent decals to a more state of the art kit.

August 3rd, 2012, 10:41 pm #8

August 5th, 2012, 9:27 pm #9

I'm sure they are a joy to fly - at least a few people think so as there are some examples of both a/c on the US civil register!