A question to those that have built the Heller F-104

December 5th, 2017, 10:43 pm #1

This kit offers both the single and two-seat versions. Heller recommends that you build the entire front section and then attached to the assembled rear. Has anyone done this and what were the results?

Cheers, Vic

I haven't, but the new Airfix Blenheim is a poster child for not doing that! n/t

December 6th, 2017, 2:45 am #2

I haven't, but the new Airfix Blenheim is a poster child for not doing that! n/t

Hi, Vic. I did it....

December 6th, 2017, 9:06 am #3

This kit offers both the single and two-seat versions. Heller recommends that you build the entire front section and then attached to the assembled rear. Has anyone done this and what were the results?

Cheers, Vic
years ago to make the single seat version, as per instructions. The resulting joint was fine for my standard. The major problem was (and is) that panel lines are represented with raised lines and it is almost impossible to fill and sand the joint without erasing the surrounding detail. Better option is to rescribe them all.

IIRC the tip tanks on the kit are a bit on the thin side and in general the kit appears to be a bit oversized. I think the front section of the twin seater has a better shape than the one of the single seater.

While surpassed by the Hasegawa I believe the Heller kit is still a decent base for a Starfighter.
Look forward to see your next masterpiece.
Cheers
Luigi

I found this

December 6th, 2017, 7:17 pm #4

Cheers, Vic
I have no experiences with F-104 kit, but you can study the joint at these photos:

http://1-72.forumgratuit.org/t1222-hell ... -italienne

Thanks Luigi.

December 6th, 2017, 9:38 pm #5

years ago to make the single seat version, as per instructions. The resulting joint was fine for my standard. The major problem was (and is) that panel lines are represented with raised lines and it is almost impossible to fill and sand the joint without erasing the surrounding detail. Better option is to rescribe them all.

IIRC the tip tanks on the kit are a bit on the thin side and in general the kit appears to be a bit oversized. I think the front section of the twin seater has a better shape than the one of the single seater.

While surpassed by the Hasegawa I believe the Heller kit is still a decent base for a Starfighter.
Look forward to see your next masterpiece.
Cheers
Luigi
I partially assembled the tail section last night (badly warped) and I can see some filler required all ready.

Hoping for a good fit because I have soft tissue damage in my right arm and it really limits my time at the bench. What really aggravates it is any amount of sanding or filing

While cleaning up the afterburner can last night I did notice how large it looked. After reading your post this morning It got compared to the Hasegawa and Esci/Italeri can and there is a big difference!

It would appear this guy is going back in the box for another day.

Thanks again Luigi and great to see you posting again.

Cheers, Vic

Thanks Miro.

December 6th, 2017, 9:41 pm #6

I have no experiences with F-104 kit, but you can study the joint at these photos:

http://1-72.forumgratuit.org/t1222-hell ... -italienne
I did a google search looking for articles and that was one of the few that I found. Notice that all the raised detail has been sanded off and as mentioned to Luigi, lots of sanding is not in the cards so this puppy is going back on the shelf.

Cheers, Vic

Hi Vic - when I built mine, I joined the fronts to the backs before joining the sides. As

December 6th, 2017, 10:57 pm #7

Cheers, Vic
we all know, the instructions are only one person'd opinion on how a kit should be put together!