A public 'Thank you' to my fellow modelers

A public 'Thank you' to my fellow modelers

July 21st, 2012, 9:05 pm #1

Too often we read, on websites, message boards and in magazines (remember what those are?) that a model kit isnt right or its inaccurate or even on occasion that a particular model is just not worth your time to build. But one thing that remains very true is that modelers, as a whole, are incredibly helpful, generous and thoughtful both about modeling and with the rest of what life throws at us.

Personally, Ive had folks make exceptions on trades and sales, send things to me out of the blue and tell me pay whenever, send stuff at no charge and even taken losses just to see it find a good home. And Ive done my best to pay it forward whenever given the chance. But for anyone Ive missed Id like to tell them Thank you and if I can help out please let me know. I've also been quite fortunate to have my work published and it's a real thrill anytime I can share my work with you all. Never in my dreams as a young modeler did I think my work would be seen by anyone more than friends, family and at a local show. In my home state of Alaska we had one show a year...that was it. But beyond the kits, books, supplies and everything else its just the thoughtful manner that every one of you Ive had the pleasure of talking with, trading with, selling to and just sharing in this hobby.

We dont always get along and sometimes I think in our desire to defend our opinions (or voice them) we lose sight that if we dont have one another we wind up losing out on more than just getting that first or last detail right. We lose out on the opportunity for friendship, fellowship and a bonding that can truly last a lifetime. We wont always agree and Lord knows I dont expect us to. But I sincerely hope that, in those moments, we can find a meeting ground where disagreement exists but respect is never lost.

In closing Im not having a Jerry Maguire kind of moment here. I just have been blessed both recently and for many years now by being in this hobby and I wanted to take a few minutes to publicly thank those that have helped me and befriended me. And to those that I have not had direct contact with I appreciate seeing what you have done for our fellow modelers. Thank you to each and every one of you Ive been fortunate to know for your generosity, kindness and good cheer. Youve not only helped make me become a better modeler (and even helped my extended family enjoy this hobby) but youve helped me be a better person.

Sincerely,

Lee Fogel
Last edited by mo49 on July 21st, 2012, 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 21st, 2012, 9:48 pm #2

... But you still have to do something about the spelling of your last name... It's still incorrect!

I'm still waiting for pictures of that Vac-Yak! (Forger)

I do have to agree, I've met with (on line) and in person some great people because of our hobby!

We stole the eagle from the Air Force, the anchor from the Navy, and the rope from the Army.
On the seventh day while God rested, we overran his perimeter, stole the globe, and we've been running the whole show ever since.

Semper Fi, Don
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.”
- Ronald Reagan

Semper Fi, Don
Luke: 22:36

July 21st, 2012, 9:58 pm #3

but my dad will have nothing to do with it!

Later,

That confused Fogel

July 21st, 2012, 11:20 pm #4

Too often we read, on websites, message boards and in magazines (remember what those are?) that a model kit isnt right or its inaccurate or even on occasion that a particular model is just not worth your time to build. But one thing that remains very true is that modelers, as a whole, are incredibly helpful, generous and thoughtful both about modeling and with the rest of what life throws at us.

Personally, Ive had folks make exceptions on trades and sales, send things to me out of the blue and tell me pay whenever, send stuff at no charge and even taken losses just to see it find a good home. And Ive done my best to pay it forward whenever given the chance. But for anyone Ive missed Id like to tell them Thank you and if I can help out please let me know. I've also been quite fortunate to have my work published and it's a real thrill anytime I can share my work with you all. Never in my dreams as a young modeler did I think my work would be seen by anyone more than friends, family and at a local show. In my home state of Alaska we had one show a year...that was it. But beyond the kits, books, supplies and everything else its just the thoughtful manner that every one of you Ive had the pleasure of talking with, trading with, selling to and just sharing in this hobby.

We dont always get along and sometimes I think in our desire to defend our opinions (or voice them) we lose sight that if we dont have one another we wind up losing out on more than just getting that first or last detail right. We lose out on the opportunity for friendship, fellowship and a bonding that can truly last a lifetime. We wont always agree and Lord knows I dont expect us to. But I sincerely hope that, in those moments, we can find a meeting ground where disagreement exists but respect is never lost.

In closing Im not having a Jerry Maguire kind of moment here. I just have been blessed both recently and for many years now by being in this hobby and I wanted to take a few minutes to publicly thank those that have helped me and befriended me. And to those that I have not had direct contact with I appreciate seeing what you have done for our fellow modelers. Thank you to each and every one of you Ive been fortunate to know for your generosity, kindness and good cheer. Youve not only helped make me become a better modeler (and even helped my extended family enjoy this hobby) but youve helped me be a better person.

Sincerely,

Lee Fogel
What a wonderful thing to say.

The Silver Turfer
When only the best will do

July 21st, 2012, 11:24 pm #5

Sincerely,

Lee Fogel
Right on the head.

July 22nd, 2012, 2:12 am #6

Sincerely,

Lee Fogel
I'm anxious to see it's victorious tangle with that Focke-Wulf! lol
Glad I was able to help someone who has his modeling perspectives in such good order. I echo your sentiments wholly.

Pat (Who's headed back into the workshop to keep pushing forward on the Tamiya Mustang)

July 22nd, 2012, 1:47 pm #7

Sincerely,

Lee Fogel
Thanks to you as well, nicely said! n/t