A-OK GB Pt. 10

A-OK GB Pt. 10

March 26th, 2012, 12:54 am #1

I'm finally home after 2+ weeks away, having suffered Modeling Withdrawal Syndrome the whole time. So first thing after unpacking was to charge back into the ol' Hurricane.

As you may (or may not) recall, I painted on the markings with only the red centers on the roundels left to do. I therefore mixed up some red with a drop of black and used a thin stainless steel circle template and sprayed the dots. It turns out that this is easier said than done well; the starbord underwing roundel turned out rather fine, but I managed to get the port roundel a tad fuzzy:

Still, I'm calling these good enough. Note too that I masked and painted the shell ejector chutes--too much of a coward to drill and file. I did subtle smoke streaks with ground pastels. Also, I'm going for kind of a 'well used' look on this one, so I've kicked up some dust behind the wheels and generally made the finish a bit patchy looking.

Now, turning to the fuselage roundels, ahem, not so good:

Ugh! The stringers didn't let the template lie flat enough, so the dots came out way too fuzzy. And furthermore, the centering (especially on the other side) leaves much to be desired. So I ended up using my Olfa Circle Cutter to cut out around the outside of the white ring of the kit decals to patch over the white and red that I painted on:

It'll do from a few feet (or yards) away. Note too how the decal serial numbers magically fit just right between the painted on fuselage code letter. The other side worked out equally well. Whew, that's a bullet dodged!

I also painted the exhaust stacks with my now standard Alclad Exhaust color:

At this point the decals are all on and all the little bits and pieces are painted and ready to go on:

Today I hope to put a wash along the control surface lines and spray on a matte coat. If it dries in time I may also get the remaining pieces on. I also intend to paint on some wingtip red/green lights--again, the coward's way out, but the painted markings have used up all of my modeling chutzpah on this one.

Thanks for looking!

Stuart

March 26th, 2012, 2:40 am #2

when it comes to masking roundels but they do look mighty fine!! Glad to see that you did not go overboard with the undersurface dirt as Hurricanes were quite clean down there. Spitfires , on the other hand , were dirty, dirty, DIRTY!! A fine looking model.

March 26th, 2012, 4:56 am #3

I'm finally home after 2+ weeks away, having suffered Modeling Withdrawal Syndrome the whole time. So first thing after unpacking was to charge back into the ol' Hurricane.

As you may (or may not) recall, I painted on the markings with only the red centers on the roundels left to do. I therefore mixed up some red with a drop of black and used a thin stainless steel circle template and sprayed the dots. It turns out that this is easier said than done well; the starbord underwing roundel turned out rather fine, but I managed to get the port roundel a tad fuzzy:

Still, I'm calling these good enough. Note too that I masked and painted the shell ejector chutes--too much of a coward to drill and file. I did subtle smoke streaks with ground pastels. Also, I'm going for kind of a 'well used' look on this one, so I've kicked up some dust behind the wheels and generally made the finish a bit patchy looking.

Ugh! The stringers didn't let the template lie flat enough, so the dots came out way too fuzzy. And furthermore, the centering (especially on the other side) leaves much to be desired. So I ended up using my Olfa Circle Cutter to cut out around the outside of the white ring of the kit decals to patch over the white and red that I painted on:

It'll do from a few feet (or yards) away. Note too how the decal serial numbers magically fit just right between the painted on fuselage code letter. The other side worked out equally well. Whew, that's a bullet dodged!

At this point the decals are all on and all the little bits and pieces are painted and ready to go on:

Today I hope to put a wash along the control surface lines and spray on a matte coat. If it dries in time I may also get the remaining pieces on. I also intend to paint on some wingtip red/green lights--again, the coward's way out, but the painted markings have used up all of my modeling chutzpah on this one.

Thanks for looking!

Stuart
And a great save on the sprayed markings. It's really hard getting those little suckers centered. You did a great job.

Well done and so close now!

Regards,

Dan From Tacoma, Washington USA

March 26th, 2012, 1:53 pm #4

Thanks for looking!

Stuart
Thanks,
Allan

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Multiple Mosquito Build, 1/72: Intro Part 1 Part 1.5 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Fini

Fathers Day A6M2: Intro Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Finish

Airfix Stuka 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Finish

Airfix Hurricane 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Finish

Airfix Orion III: Build Tutorial Finish