A little more Merlin.....

A little more Merlin.....

March 8th, 2012, 6:20 am #1

I managed to get a few more details added to the Merlin today, this time at the back of the engine. Most of the stuff will be readily visible, some not so much, but I think it'll all add to the over-all look of the engine when finished. The coolant pipe for the intercooler between the fitting on the intercooler and the flange on the supercharger housing is only tacked in place to show how it looks. It'll be removed and painted separately to ease painting. I'll add the ignition conduit and plug leads as well as the cylinder fuel primer lines to the top of the engine next and then I'll finally be able to get some paint on 'er. Once she's been weathered a bit I'll add the rest of the fuel, coolant, and oil lines.

Cheers,
Wolf

March 8th, 2012, 9:14 am #2

one of the most beautiful builds of this model ever. The Tamiya Spit has loads of detail potential, I gave it a go myself, but what you're doing with this kit is beyond amazing. I admire your patience and skill, and cannot wait to see it completed. Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing!

All the best to you and yours, cheers, Jeroen

March 8th, 2012, 11:22 am #3

I managed to get a few more details added to the Merlin today, this time at the back of the engine. Most of the stuff will be readily visible, some not so much, but I think it'll all add to the over-all look of the engine when finished. The coolant pipe for the intercooler between the fitting on the intercooler and the flange on the supercharger housing is only tacked in place to show how it looks. It'll be removed and painted separately to ease painting. I'll add the ignition conduit and plug leads as well as the cylinder fuel primer lines to the top of the engine next and then I'll finally be able to get some paint on 'er. Once she's been weathered a bit I'll add the rest of the fuel, coolant, and oil lines.

Cheers,
Wolf

eyj

Keep your Sprues Empty

March 8th, 2012, 7:27 pm #4

Cheers,
Wolf

I think when finished this engine will start and give a nice ROOOAAARRRR noise. LOL

Serge Dompierre
Last edited by Serge Dompierre on March 8th, 2012, 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frog and Canuck and proud to be

March 8th, 2012, 9:37 pm #5

Cheers,
Wolf

please tell me that someone knows how to link all these amazing posts by Wolf into a series on 'how to build an amazing spitfire' 'article!!! Just top notch stuff to watch.

March 9th, 2012, 10:40 pm #6

Cheers,
Wolf

What is the coolant pipe made of,it looks like evergreen and how have you formed it.
How have you done,what look like hexagonal nuts,where the pipes will connect.
Love the faceplate,it really adds to the look of it.Sorry for all the questions and if I could do even one tenth of what you have done,I will be happy.Huge fan of the build,keep her going,cheers John.

March 10th, 2012, 3:11 am #7

The flange at the inter-cooler housing started as a punched styrene disc with smaller punched discs cut in half to form the ears that the fasteners would go through. The fasteners themselves are the smallest size of punch that I have. The other end on the supercharger housing is also made from bits and pieces of styrene card stock and punched out discs for fasteners. Believe me John, if I can do it so can you. There's really nothin' special but it helps of you have both sets of the Waldron (now Roll Models) punch and die sets. Of the two, I use the sub-minitaure set the most even in 1/32nd. I also want to invest in one of those hexagonal shaped punch and die sets too. The other thing that helps is being crazy enough to spend the time to do this suff. I'd 'ave been done a long time ago if I'd just built the damn thing OOB!

Cheers,
Wolf

March 10th, 2012, 3:13 am #8

one of the most beautiful builds of this model ever. The Tamiya Spit has loads of detail potential, I gave it a go myself, but what you're doing with this kit is beyond amazing. I admire your patience and skill, and cannot wait to see it completed. Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing!

All the best to you and yours, cheers, Jeroen
Believe me, I want to see it finished too, LOL!!! I don't have that much more to go thankfully. Thanks for the kind words Jeroen!

Cheers,
Wolf

March 10th, 2012, 3:14 am #9

eyj

Keep your Sprues Empty

March 10th, 2012, 3:17 am #10

I think when finished this engine will start and give a nice ROOOAAARRRR noise. LOL

Serge Dompierre
There will be no starting of this Merlin unfortunately. My wife won't allow it in the house anymore and too many of the neighbours complained the last time when I did it outside, LOL!!!

Cheers,
Wolf