A Few More F-15C Questions....

A Few More F-15C Questions....

June 24th, 2011, 9:37 pm #1

Hi All,

I'm going to finish my Hasegawa F-15C in the kit scheme of 1st TFW Commanders Aircraft, 1982 and would like to clear up a few things:

1) Aires cockpit, I'm guessing F-15C "Early"?
2) Equipment bay behind cockpit, metallic green or white?
3) No turkey feathers on exhausts?
4) Should I reccess the fuel dumps under the engines rather than the external ones as on kit (kits resemble those of an F-15A)?
5) Anything else that I've forgot?

Thanks,
Andy

June 25th, 2011, 6:16 am #2

The aft area wasn't white that i know of. It was an odd shade of green. An FS number may exist for it. Call John at John's Models 850 - 698 - 6008. Good luck, George

June 25th, 2011, 4:49 pm #3

Hi All,

I'm going to finish my Hasegawa F-15C in the kit scheme of 1st TFW Commanders Aircraft, 1982 and would like to clear up a few things:

4) Should I reccess the fuel dumps under the engines rather than the external ones as on kit (kits resemble those of an F-15A)?

Thanks,
Andy
.....but I was on the TAC staff, not assigned to the 1st TFW, so I didn't get close to the aircraft often, but here's my best remembry of what I did see:

1. As I remember, '82 was right around the time they transitioned from A/Bs to C/Ds and being a showcase wing they generally got things early on, so I would go with the early cockpit.

2. I only remember seeing the aft bay in metallic green but I've heard some or all of the C's had them in white. I'm no help on this one.

3. No turkey feathers!

4. No idea

5. External fuel tanks: The vast majority of the time, they flew with a centerline tank only. The only time I ever saw them with wing tanks was when they were deploying. On rare occasions, I'd see one go off with no external tank at all.

June 25th, 2011, 10:04 pm #4

The aft area wasn't white that i know of. It was an odd shade of green. An FS number may exist for it. Call John at John's Models 850 - 698 - 6008. Good luck, George
I thought it might be that weird metallic green colour.

Regards,
Andy

June 25th, 2011, 10:07 pm #5

.....but I was on the TAC staff, not assigned to the 1st TFW, so I didn't get close to the aircraft often, but here's my best remembry of what I did see:

1. As I remember, '82 was right around the time they transitioned from A/Bs to C/Ds and being a showcase wing they generally got things early on, so I would go with the early cockpit.

2. I only remember seeing the aft bay in metallic green but I've heard some or all of the C's had them in white. I'm no help on this one.

3. No turkey feathers!

4. No idea

5. External fuel tanks: The vast majority of the time, they flew with a centerline tank only. The only time I ever saw them with wing tanks was when they were deploying. On rare occasions, I'd see one go off with no external tank at all.
I had been wondering about the fuel tanks too as nearly all pics show them just with centreline one.
So I'll go with early cockpit, metallic green bay,no turkey feathers and one centerline tank.

Thanks again,
Andy

June 26th, 2011, 6:09 am #6

Hi All,

Thanks,
Andy
1. Yes, F-15 Early would be appropriate (ACP instead of MPCD).

2. Bay 5 was metallic green on all F-15A aircraft, and F-15C from 1978-79 production. In 1980, it was changed to white. You need only to check the serial number of the individual aircraft. I believe that the A/C in question was 80-0037, so bay 5 would be white.

3. No turkey feathers.

4. Fuel dump vent fairings were removed during MSIP. In 1982, they would still be there.

Todd Enlund

"Bandits at 3 O'Clock"
"Roger. What should I do 'till then?"
Todd Enlund

"Bandits at three o'clock."
"Roger. What should I do 'till then?"

June 26th, 2011, 10:07 pm #7

Yes aircraft is 80 0037 so I'll go with bay 5 in white. Thanks for info on fuel dumps, on Saturday I managed to dig out a book from 1980 on the F-15 I still had at my parents house (half my library is still there along with a large part of my stash) and right enough dumps were still there on F-15C's.

Thanks again,
Andy