A-7A with Walleye in Vietnam???

A-7A with Walleye in Vietnam???

September 12th, 2017, 6:20 pm #1

Ok guys and gals, my 'Google-Fu' is weak today...

I know the A-7A (Early and late models) carried the AGM-62 Walleye in Vietnam.

I know that VA-147 was one of the first squadrons to deploy with the A-7 to Vietnam...

However, I cannot find a good reference, or picture of said Sqd. carrying said weapon, during said deployment!

I have spent an hour and a half on Google, I have both the new and old Squadron 'In Action' books on the A-7, all three S/S books "Air War in Vietnam" and the Osprey book "US Navy A-7 Corsair II Units of the Vietnam War". None of them even mention this... And no pics!

Now, I know someone out there has one or two, and can probably pop 'em up before I finish this cup of coffee...

Thanks!

“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.”
- Ronald Reagan

Semper Fi, Don
Luke: 22:36

September 12th, 2017, 7:25 pm #2

"5 March VA-25 successfully launched the first Extended Range Data-Link Walleye. Many hours were spent perfecting ERDL tactics over the next few months"

http://fisthistory.org/wp-content/uploa ... eb16-1.pdf

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-eqoJSmF689Q/ ... 1_0001.jpg

Pic showing Ordies building up Walleye from CV-41's '72-'73 cruise...so that probably means VA-56/93 used them.

https://www.navysite.de/cruisebooks/cv41-72/163.htm

Last edited by CollinT on September 12th, 2017, 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 12th, 2017, 7:46 pm #3

I know that VA-147 was one of the first squadrons to deploy with the A-7 to Vietnam...

However, I cannot find a good reference, or picture of said Sqd. carrying said weapon, during said deployment!

I have spent an hour and a half on Google, I have both the new and old Squadron 'In Action' books on the A-7, all three S/S books "Air War in Vietnam" and the Osprey book "US Navy A-7 Corsair II Units of the Vietnam War". None of them even mention this... And no pics!

Now, I know someone out there has one or two, and can probably pop 'em up before I finish this cup of coffee...

Thanks!
Going with the Bullpup instead since pics of A-7s in Nam with Walleyes are scarce:

note the Bullpup has a proximity fuze on it to give it airburst capability.
Last edited by Finn-1 on September 12th, 2017, 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 13th, 2017, 1:38 am #4

Thanks!
Sorry Don, No Joy on any Pictures, I tried my book stash and Nothin.