72nd scale Raiden

72nd scale Raiden

April 16th, 2018, 10:33 pm #1

what options are out there for this plane in Divine scale??? Looking at Tamiya's Tony, I have an urge for Japanese aircraft, and want a Raiden.....

April 16th, 2018, 10:56 pm #2

and that's about it.

Hasegawa's kit dates from the 1970s, but it's still very nice, with engraved panel lines, crisp molding, and good fit. The only real downsides are the lack of cockpit detail and the shallow, blank wheel wells. It's widely available, and can usually be found quite cheap on the secondary market.

I don't have the Sword kit, but it looks nice. Much more expensive than the Hasegawa kit, and in my experience much harder to find. Here's a review:http://www.hyperscale.com/2015/reviews/ ... ewmd_1.htm

SN

April 16th, 2018, 11:20 pm #3

what options are out there for this plane in Divine scale??? Looking at Tamiya's Tony, I have an urge for Japanese aircraft, and want a Raiden.....
It's a very old kit, but Tamiya did a Raiden, Shinden, Frank, Tojo and Zero in 1/72 back in the day. The kit is not "bad" but its typical for the time with only a pilot inside. The whole series is about on par with say the old Monogram 1/72 P-51B and Mohawk.

Nichimo had an old kit too, for what it's worth. Again, not really "bad" but definitely a late 60s or early 70s kit.

I've built the Hasegawa kit and it's typical for their 70s and 80s kits. Simple and workmanlike but not half bad and easily obtained for a cheap price.

April 16th, 2018, 11:33 pm #4

I know they were trying to make 1/50 and 1/100 catch on back in the day. The photos I've seen of the Tamiya kit show it with raised panel lines and rivets..pretty crude by today's standards, and like you say it's been out of production for decades.

SN

April 17th, 2018, 12:42 am #5

The box says 1/72nd. I have not measured it (and won't) and it looks about right for 1/72nd. The kit is molded in dark green with recessed panel lines and raised rivets. The edge of the cowl is thick and oddly enough, the horizontal stabs are in halves.The wheel wells are slightly recessed with no detail. The flaps are molded separate. No engine, but behind the fan, you probably cannot see anything anyway. The surface detail looks pretty good for a kit of this vintage. When I opened the box, I thought it felt like an old Revell kit, but I don't see any mention of Revell on the parts.Aloha,Val

April 17th, 2018, 1:01 am #6

I picked up a couple of different versions at my LHS but have yet to build them.
Clifford Bossie

http://www.angelfire.com/dc/jinxx1/Desrt_Wings.html

http://www.angelfire.com/dc/jinxx1/Wildcat/F4F_pt1.html

April 17th, 2018, 1:47 am #7

The sword kit, while possibly having issues, appears to be the top of the line, but, that hasegawa kit is...well.... Hasegawa, and that goes a long way too....

April 17th, 2018, 3:36 am #8

April 17th, 2018, 3:46 am #9

I have read your reviews, and, with the news of the cmk resin goodies, the Hasegawa kit seems like to route (for me) to take. Thank you for your input!

April 17th, 2018, 1:02 pm #10

I know they were trying to make 1/50 and 1/100 catch on back in the day. The photos I've seen of the Tamiya kit show it with raised panel lines and rivets..pretty crude by today's standards, and like you say it's been out of production for decades.

SN
Actually the raised detail is not bad. It's just a vintage kit. Tamiya did reissue them a few times in recent years. I have a set of the kits in boxes with colored artwork then they put them out in black and white artwork. I like the old Revell, Airfix, etc. 1/72 kits and the Tamiya ones fit in there. They even have nice, tall, display stands.