67th TRW and 460th TRW RF-4C 1968/69

67th TRW and 460th TRW RF-4C 1968/69

June 27th, 2011, 9:16 pm #1

My Dad was with these units and was looking for some fotos of the RF-4Cs. Mountain Home AFB for training(67th) and Tan Son Nhut for combat(460th). He was with the 16TRS, 460th TRW. Not sure about the squadron in Mountain home.
He was a navigator, Captain Robert C. Cotten
His pilot was Major Phil Morphew.
Hope some one can help me out. I have built all the planes my Dad flew. Now I am working on the Rf-4C in 48th scale. It was his last aircraft to fly. He started out on C-119s, B/WB-47s, WC-135s, and finally the Photo Phantom. My favorite.
Thanks for any help
Jeff

June 27th, 2011, 11:10 pm #2

10th TRS, RTU, tailcode "KR"; Yellow tailstripe. Squadron Logo: Gold/black Roman/Greek soldier w/plumed helmet.

7th TRS, RTU, tailcode "KT" The "green" squadron. Trying to remember the logo...(monkey molesting the bomb?)Horizontal white lightning bolt on tail stripe.

22nd TRS, Operational Unit; blue tailstripe;tailcode "KS". Logo: multicolored "Vomit comet" (which traced its history back to WWI SPADS). Blue horizontal strip at tip of vertical fin w/all-white comet; NATO logo (we had NATO war committment)on left front fuselage. Multicolored comet on left intake (See my 1/32 recce build in the HS archives for the accurate markings and locations).

Some of the MUO recce birds are in the Aerofax "Minigraph 13", "McDonnell RF-4 Variants", Pgs 10 & 11, by Jay Miller. Unfortunately, the small pix are B&W.

Also stationed at MUO on a longterm TDY basis were the F-4D "Red Dorks" (logo: witch/death skeleton on a broom IIRC) whose home wing was the 49th at Holloman.

The 67 TRW name moved to Bergstrom in Summer 1971, with the 7th and 10th recce RTUs dissolving. We in the 22 TRS, along with our birds, PCS'ed to Shaw (363TRW) and in a coupla months became (by order of the TAC commander)the 62nd TRS (tailcode "JO"). The 22 TRS name morphed into a 130 drone outfit (!) at DM. Factory new F-111Fs (tailcode "MO") moved into now recce-less MUO and established what was to become a more than two decade Vark dynasty there, and in which this curmudgeon also got to play a part.

Bondo Phil
Boy TAC WSO
10 TRS/22 TRS '70-'71
389 TFS/391st TFS A-model Vark '77-'82
Last edited by bondo455 on June 27th, 2011, 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 28th, 2011, 4:10 pm #3

My Dad was with these units and was looking for some fotos of the RF-4Cs. Mountain Home AFB for training(67th) and Tan Son Nhut for combat(460th). He was with the 16TRS, 460th TRW. Not sure about the squadron in Mountain home.
Hope some one can help me out. I have built all the planes my Dad flew. Now I am working on the Rf-4C in 48th scale. It was his last aircraft to fly. He started out on C-119s, B/WB-47s, WC-135s, and finally the Photo Phantom. My favorite.
Thanks for any help
Jeff
I was in the 12TRS at TSN during that time frame and remember your dad being "next door." I went through RTU at Mt Home with the 10TRS. Bondo has filled you in on the history/progression of the units, so the question is: How can I help with specifics on an a/c? BTW, there is a photo of the 1/48 Hasegawa RF-4C posted on plastic pix (or at least it used to be)that I completed a few years ago. It is in 460/91TRS (Bergstrom) colors. Contact me by e-mail if you wish. Over ...

Larry

June 28th, 2011, 5:17 pm #4

Thanks for any help
Jeff
the 460th TRW and the 12th TRS, Tan Son Nhut AB, Vietnam 1969. I was Crew Chief on # 65-0866.

I have photos of 12th and 16th TRS aircraft assigned to TSN 1969. These photos are rather large (about 1 MB each)

Please check your email for further information.

Regards
Donnie Dixon

June 28th, 2011, 10:34 pm #5

10th TRS, RTU, tailcode "KR"; Yellow tailstripe. Squadron Logo: Gold/black Roman/Greek soldier w/plumed helmet.

7th TRS, RTU, tailcode "KT" The "green" squadron. Trying to remember the logo...(monkey molesting the bomb?)Horizontal white lightning bolt on tail stripe.

22nd TRS, Operational Unit; blue tailstripe;tailcode "KS". Logo: multicolored "Vomit comet" (which traced its history back to WWI SPADS). Blue horizontal strip at tip of vertical fin w/all-white comet; NATO logo (we had NATO war committment)on left front fuselage. Multicolored comet on left intake (See my 1/32 recce build in the HS archives for the accurate markings and locations).

Some of the MUO recce birds are in the Aerofax "Minigraph 13", "McDonnell RF-4 Variants", Pgs 10 & 11, by Jay Miller. Unfortunately, the small pix are B&W.

Also stationed at MUO on a longterm TDY basis were the F-4D "Red Dorks" (logo: witch/death skeleton on a broom IIRC) whose home wing was the 49th at Holloman.

The 67 TRW name moved to Bergstrom in Summer 1971, with the 7th and 10th recce RTUs dissolving. We in the 22 TRS, along with our birds, PCS'ed to Shaw (363TRW) and in a coupla months became (by order of the TAC commander)the 62nd TRS (tailcode "JO"). The 22 TRS name morphed into a 130 drone outfit (!) at DM. Factory new F-111Fs (tailcode "MO") moved into now recce-less MUO and established what was to become a more than two decade Vark dynasty there, and in which this curmudgeon also got to play a part.

Bondo Phil
Boy TAC WSO
10 TRS/22 TRS '70-'71
389 TFS/391st TFS A-model Vark '77-'82
KR was the tail code. So it was the 10th. Tks

June 28th, 2011, 10:38 pm #6

the 460th TRW and the 12th TRS, Tan Son Nhut AB, Vietnam 1969. I was Crew Chief on # 65-0866.

I have photos of 12th and 16th TRS aircraft assigned to TSN 1969. These photos are rather large (about 1 MB each)

Please check your email for further information.

Regards
Donnie Dixon
Is your father a member of the AWRA? (Air Weather Reconnaissance Association)
http://www.awra.us/

They have a Yahoo message board.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AWRA/

Best wishes,
Grant

June 28th, 2011, 10:43 pm #7

I was in the 12TRS at TSN during that time frame and remember your dad being "next door." I went through RTU at Mt Home with the 10TRS. Bondo has filled you in on the history/progression of the units, so the question is: How can I help with specifics on an a/c? BTW, there is a photo of the 1/48 Hasegawa RF-4C posted on plastic pix (or at least it used to be)that I completed a few years ago. It is in 460/91TRS (Bergstrom) colors. Contact me by e-mail if you wish. Over ...

Larry
Larry,
Anything you can think of would be fine. I have his records and have gone thru them and got what I hoped was tail nos. I did a 1/72nd RF-4C #056 and gave it to him. I won't do the one they lost to AA. If you got some photos that might help, I would be thankful. If anything else, I will get with you on it.
Thanks again.
Jeff
PS Some tail nos from Mountain Home if you know of any.
My email is j-rcotten@hotmail.com

June 28th, 2011, 10:44 pm #8

Is your father a member of the AWRA? (Air Weather Reconnaissance Association)
http://www.awra.us/

They have a Yahoo message board.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AWRA/

Best wishes,
Grant
Ithink he is an AWRA member. He and Mom go to reunions when they can.

June 30th, 2011, 8:32 pm #9

Thank you for your reply.
Grant