67/68 AMT Camaro = 67/68 MPC Camaro ???

67/68 AMT Camaro = 67/68 MPC Camaro ???

April 7th, 2011, 10:41 pm #1

I'm looking for a resin big block hood and hideaway headlight grille for the 1/25 AMT Camaro, and have found the odd one but been told they fit the 67 not the 68, or the old MPC but perhaps not the newer AMT. ....I've heard AMT bought out MPC, but can anyone confirm if the grilles and hoods for the older MPC kits and the newer AMT kits are exactly the same or not on the 67/68 Camaros??

April 8th, 2011, 1:29 am #2

The original AMT '67-'68 Camaros, the original MPC '68 Camaros (they didn't do a '67), and the currently available AMT '67 and '68 Z/28 Camaros (based on tooling that first appeared around 1983) are three COMPLETELY different kit families that share NO parts.

Parts from Modelhaus are most likely repros of original '67 AMT and/or original MPC '68 parts (and are labeled as such.) I can tell you that the RS grilles are very different from the new AMT kits. They have much more "V" to them. You could make one fit but you'd have to cut it right in the middle, remove a little plastic, and glue it back together at the proper angle.

I believe that one or more resin casters have produced proper RS and SS/RS grilles for the current AMT kit. I've never seen or used one so I cannot personally vouch for them, however.

I believe that the same resincasters also offer correct 67 and 68 SS hoods for the current AMT kit. Be aware that the year makes a difference in the one you buy. All '67 Camaro SS hoods were the same, with the two "louvered" or ribbed chrome thingies. This is also the correct hood for a '68 SS350, but the '68 SS396 hood chrome trim was 8 square "injector ports." This hood became standard for all '69 SS Camaros regardless of 350 or 396 engine.

If you're talking about the "cowl induction" hood, that didn't come out until 1969. As all first-gen Camaro hoods interchange (in real life), though, they're often seen today on '67s and '68s. Those are also available in resin but you can also modify one from a Revell '69 Yenko Camaro or Z/28 to fit the AMT kit.

If you need to know anything else about first-gen Camaros, give a shout. I've got a buttload of refs on them including original showroom literature (picked up literally on "opening day").

Steel cuts flesh. Steel cuts bone. Steel does not cut steel. --Stephen Hunter, The 47th Samurai.

We will march on a road of bones. --Hunter S. Thompson.

Sat Cong!

April 8th, 2011, 6:42 pm #3

I had a real 1979 Camaro. Was my first car and it was love. Oh how I regret ever selling that car.
Anyway I want to make a model of it. So I started work on a Revell (Monogram) 79 Camaro Z-28. I am having trouble getting a good result on the hood after grinding off the cowl induction bulge. I thought about starting over with the other hood in the kit but I would have to plug the cutout for the blower. If I was successful with this it would be innaccurate as that hood lacks the vent slots at the rear edge of the hood.

Anyway is there an aftermarket standard hood for a 79 Camaro available?

Cheers,

Max Bryant

"You'll Love My Wingnuts!"
Last edited by nametaken on April 8th, 2011, 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 8th, 2011, 7:33 pm #4

I'm more of a first-gen guy, know a little bit about 70 1/2-73s and not too much after that.

That Monogram '79 is not a real hot kit in Model Car World so I don't know if anyone has ever done any after market for it or not. I'll look around and ask around and see if I can sniff up anyting. If I turn up anything, I'll post.

Steel cuts flesh. Steel cuts bone. Steel does not cut steel. --Stephen Hunter, The 47th Samurai.

Sat Cong!

Kerry Friesen
Kerry Friesen

April 8th, 2011, 9:18 pm #5

The original AMT '67-'68 Camaros, the original MPC '68 Camaros (they didn't do a '67), and the currently available AMT '67 and '68 Z/28 Camaros (based on tooling that first appeared around 1983) are three COMPLETELY different kit families that share NO parts.

Parts from Modelhaus are most likely repros of original '67 AMT and/or original MPC '68 parts (and are labeled as such.) I can tell you that the RS grilles are very different from the new AMT kits. They have much more "V" to them. You could make one fit but you'd have to cut it right in the middle, remove a little plastic, and glue it back together at the proper angle.

I believe that one or more resin casters have produced proper RS and SS/RS grilles for the current AMT kit. I've never seen or used one so I cannot personally vouch for them, however.

I believe that the same resincasters also offer correct 67 and 68 SS hoods for the current AMT kit. Be aware that the year makes a difference in the one you buy. All '67 Camaro SS hoods were the same, with the two "louvered" or ribbed chrome thingies. This is also the correct hood for a '68 SS350, but the '68 SS396 hood chrome trim was 8 square "injector ports." This hood became standard for all '69 SS Camaros regardless of 350 or 396 engine.

If you're talking about the "cowl induction" hood, that didn't come out until 1969. As all first-gen Camaro hoods interchange (in real life), though, they're often seen today on '67s and '68s. Those are also available in resin but you can also modify one from a Revell '69 Yenko Camaro or Z/28 to fit the AMT kit.

If you need to know anything else about first-gen Camaros, give a shout. I've got a buttload of refs on them including original showroom literature (picked up literally on "opening day").

Sat Cong!
for all the info. Years ago I had a 68 RS/SS 4 speed with the SS396 hood you mentioned, so recently have been wanting to model it. I spoke with Modelhaus and as you mentioned his products are mainly for the earlier kits which aren't too available. For car kit availability the AMT 67 or 68 Z28's are reasonably priced on ebay, and there is a photo-etch set available from MegaHobby with emblems and grilles that is supposed to be for those two kits that perhaps could substitute in place of a resin grille. A couple questions for you though...
Do you know if the SS396 hood from the AMT 69 SS Camaro will fit on the AMT 67/68 Z28 kit? Or if the resin hood from Bandit Resin(?) or Competition Resin(?) will fit?
Do you know of any other places that may have either the SS396 hood or hideaway grille, or front/rear signals for the RS, that would work on any of the current 67/67 releases?

April 8th, 2011, 11:01 pm #6

The Bandit hood seems to be a '67 (all) or '68 smallblock. The Competition Resins hood hood is right for a '68 396, and it SHOULD be sized for the AMT kits. If it's not, it shouldn't be difficult to adapt, one way or another.

SOMEBODY makes several different variations of RS grilles for the AMT kits--I've seen them on the net but can't remember who at the moment. I'll have to find that. It's not Missing Link or Reliable Resin--I just checked those. IIRC the grilles are available in combo kits with the correct hood, too.

I don't think anyone makes front turn signals or rear backup lights for the RS. The Revell '69 Z/28 is an RS so those backup lights might be in there. I've bought a couple of those cheap just for parts--let me check it out for you. The '67-'68 Camaros kits didn't have special taillights, it's just a matter of painting the inner half red for an RS and white for a non-RS.

Sat Cong!

April 9th, 2011, 2:47 am #7

Here ya go, grille, '68 big block SS hood, and gas cap, all for $10:

http://www.timemachineresin.bravehost.com/gmhoods.html

I've never used their parts so can't speak for their quality or service, but there it is. Someday I'm gonna buy some of their stuff myself and see how it is.

The Revell '69 Z/28 kit DOES have separate Rally Sport backup lights that would be of use to you.

What are you using for an engine in your model? All the AMT/Ertl '67-'68 Camaros are small-blocks. The Revell '69 Camaros all have headers, not stock exhaust manifolds. The Revell '67 Chevelle and '66 El Camino kits have nice Rat Motors with stock exhaust manifolds.

Sat Cong!

April 9th, 2011, 5:05 am #8

I'm more of a first-gen guy, know a little bit about 70 1/2-73s and not too much after that.

That Monogram '79 is not a real hot kit in Model Car World so I don't know if anyone has ever done any after market for it or not. I'll look around and ask around and see if I can sniff up anyting. If I turn up anything, I'll post.

Sat Cong!
That old Monogram kit may be a dog but it is what I have to come close to a 79 coupe. I also have the Testors kit and if the Revell/Monogram is a dog I cannot imagine what people think of that one!

Thanks

Cheers,

Max Bryant

"You'll Love My Wingnuts!"

April 9th, 2011, 1:17 pm #9

I built the companion '78 Trans Am kit and it went together well and looks the part. No problems at all. I have that Camaro in the stash and have looked at it and it looks just as good--have never built that one, though. They also tooled a '70 Trans Am in the same "series" and I built that one and it was fine, too.

The Testor kit, OTOH...I believe that's the former Lindberg kit. I've never seen that one but I do have the similar Corvette and '79 Mustang kits and they're pretty bad. Not the very worst kits I've ever seen but not quite up to "normal" model car quality.

What I meant to say earlier is that there's just not a whole lot of interest in Model Car World in that Monogram Camaro, not that it's not a good kit. It's just not that popular a subject, so there's probably not much if anything available aftermarket for it, such as a hood. I think you're prolly going to have to drive on and modify the kit hood to meet your needs.

Sat Cong!

Kerry Friesen
Kerry Friesen

April 9th, 2011, 9:32 pm #10

Here ya go, grille, '68 big block SS hood, and gas cap, all for $10:

http://www.timemachineresin.bravehost.com/gmhoods.html

I've never used their parts so can't speak for their quality or service, but there it is. Someday I'm gonna buy some of their stuff myself and see how it is.

The Revell '69 Z/28 kit DOES have separate Rally Sport backup lights that would be of use to you.

What are you using for an engine in your model? All the AMT/Ertl '67-'68 Camaros are small-blocks. The Revell '69 Camaros all have headers, not stock exhaust manifolds. The Revell '67 Chevelle and '66 El Camino kits have nice Rat Motors with stock exhaust manifolds.

Sat Cong!
That's great! Thanks a bunch for the link. I'm going to put in an order today.
I have a Revell 69 Yenko and some aftermarket stuff like aluminum air cleaner, wires and looms from a friend was going to all piece together for under the hood, but didn't want to get too crazy on the underside as I'm more involved with aircraft and motorcycles. It may end up evolving as it gets built though
Great find with the hood and grille - thanks!