50 year old models rescued!

50 year old models rescued!

January 2nd, 2012, 11:26 pm #1

These 1/48 scale Aurora models were stored in the family's home attic for over FIFTY years!!!

The collection of some eighty plus models were contained in cardboard boxes which basically crumbled after removing them. The models span the eras from WWI, WWII, the Cold War, until roughly, the demise of the B-58 Hustler bomber.

The WWI era plane models suffered the most in the fifty year time lapse.
They were all in relatively fantastic shape but extremely dusty and dirty. What was surprizing is that the few models that did have some parts missing, there were parts available to make replacement copies from, essentially wing struts and landing gear struts.

I constructed and painted these models way back in the late 50s and early 60s. The only two biplanes with serious decal problems are the de Havilland DH-4D "The Flaming Coffin" and a soon-to-be photographed de Havilland DH-10 "Amiens" bomber when I finish reconstructing it. The top wing had been dislodged and some struts were missing.

Aurora included in these WWI biplane kits a little diorama-like plastic patch of 'airfield' complete with wheel chocks,tie-down ropes and one or two official personnel. That was a nice touch to highlight the models.

The planes are as follows:

French SPAD 13C1
[/IMG]

British Sopwith SE-5 "Scout Experimental"
[/IMG]

French Nieuport II "Bebe" with rockets
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

USA Curtis JN-4D "Flying Jenny"
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

German Fokker DVII
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

British de Havilland DH-4 "The Flaming Coffin" with rear facing gunner
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

April 14th, 2012, 9:15 pm #2

...flashback, the Jenny was the first kit I ever built (with Dad's help).
Thanks for posting them.

November 25th, 2013, 2:14 am #3

These 1/48 scale Aurora models were stored in the family's home attic for over FIFTY years!!!

The collection of some eighty plus models were contained in cardboard boxes which basically crumbled after removing them. The models span the eras from WWI, WWII, the Cold War, until roughly, the demise of the B-58 Hustler bomber.

The WWI era plane models suffered the most in the fifty year time lapse.
They were all in relatively fantastic shape but extremely dusty and dirty. What was surprizing is that the few models that did have some parts missing, there were parts available to make replacement copies from, essentially wing struts and landing gear struts.

I constructed and painted these models way back in the late 50s and early 60s. The only two biplanes with serious decal problems are the de Havilland DH-4D "The Flaming Coffin" and a soon-to-be photographed de Havilland DH-10 "Amiens" bomber when I finish reconstructing it. The top wing had been dislodged and some struts were missing.

Aurora included in these WWI biplane kits a little diorama-like plastic patch of 'airfield' complete with wheel chocks,tie-down ropes and one or two official personnel. That was a nice touch to highlight the models.

The planes are as follows:

French SPAD 13C1
[/IMG]

British Sopwith SE-5 "Scout Experimental"
[/IMG]

French Nieuport II "Bebe" with rockets
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

USA Curtis JN-4D "Flying Jenny"
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

German Fokker DVII