4 Connies Update! The Trouble With Props...

4 Connies Update! The Trouble With Props...

March 23rd, 2010, 12:46 am #1

...is that there are TOO many of them on this build! In our last installment, William De Coster asked how I was going to reattach the delicate 1/144 Minicraft prop blades I had separated from the prop hubs. Well, I replied, I super-glued 'em after painting and eye-balled the locations to boot, screwing it up royally. Back to the drawing board. I used one of the Aeroclub props as an alignment guide for properly re-attaching the Minicraft props:

I marked the prop locations, sanded off the silver paint and re-glued using Tamiya liquid cement:

After respraying, I wasn't happy with the result. The blades looked sloppy and still weren't strongly bonded. I should never have trimmed the blades off to begin with:

Out of 12 Minicraft props I started with, only four remained intact after trying to cut them off the sprue and clean them up - they are THAT delicate. Using extreme care and caution and taking extra time, I managed to clean up the remaining four props without breaking any of the blades off:

Now came time for decalling, and hoo boy - it became another long, involved job. These are Aeroclub props with the Revell kit's prop logo decals, and they went on fine. It is the prop de-icer boots that have slowed this prop project to a crawl. I tried using spare black strips of decal for the boots. No go - they just wouldn't stick. Next I tried some Letraset strips but I couldn't get them aligned properly while rubbing them down. So I rubbed the Letraset onto a clear decal sheet and tried that:

Okay, that has worked - somewhat. The "Letraset" decals have been a real bear to get to snuggle down. Two hours a night for just one prop! Sheesh - now I wish I would have sprayed the props black, masked off the de-icer boots, then painted the rest of the colours needed on the props. Oh well.

I used the Minicraft decals for the red and white prop tips on my TWA version. The Minicraft decals respond very well to decal setting solution:

I've decided to do some prop mixing and matching. The Revell engine nacelles are larger than the Minicraft ones, but the Aeroclub props are larger than the Revell ones. Left to right, below: Revell engine with an Aeroclub prop, Minicraft engine with Minicraft prop, Minicraft engine with Aeroclub prop, and Minicraft engine with Revell prop:

The Aeroclub prop looks just right on the larger Revell engine nacelle. This will be the Air France version:

This Minicraft engine/prop combo will be on the Lufthansa version:

This Minicraft engine/Aeroclub prop will adorn the TWA version:

And the Minicraft engine/Revell props will look real spiffy on the National Airline version:

Still to come: some touch up on the props and engine nacelles. Then scratch building some underside radio beacons and fuel dump valves on the Minicraft kits. After that, painting the fuselages!!!
Best...Ted...

WIP Build:
Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4

Previous WIP Builds:
Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

March 23rd, 2010, 8:07 pm #2

"The opportunity to defeat the enemy, is always provided by the enemy himself." -Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

March 23rd, 2010, 10:54 pm #4

...is that there are TOO many of them on this build! In our last installment, William De Coster asked how I was going to reattach the delicate 1/144 Minicraft prop blades I had separated from the prop hubs. Well, I replied, I super-glued 'em after painting and eye-balled the locations to boot, screwing it up royally. Back to the drawing board. I used one of the Aeroclub props as an alignment guide for properly re-attaching the Minicraft props:

I marked the prop locations, sanded off the silver paint and re-glued using Tamiya liquid cement:

After respraying, I wasn't happy with the result. The blades looked sloppy and still weren't strongly bonded. I should never have trimmed the blades off to begin with:

Out of 12 Minicraft props I started with, only four remained intact after trying to cut them off the sprue and clean them up - they are THAT delicate. Using extreme care and caution and taking extra time, I managed to clean up the remaining four props without breaking any of the blades off:

Now came time for decalling, and hoo boy - it became another long, involved job. These are Aeroclub props with the Revell kit's prop logo decals, and they went on fine. It is the prop de-icer boots that have slowed this prop project to a crawl. I tried using spare black strips of decal for the boots. No go - they just wouldn't stick. Next I tried some Letraset strips but I couldn't get them aligned properly while rubbing them down. So I rubbed the Letraset onto a clear decal sheet and tried that:

Okay, that has worked - somewhat. The "Letraset" decals have been a real bear to get to snuggle down. Two hours a night for just one prop! Sheesh - now I wish I would have sprayed the props black, masked off the de-icer boots, then painted the rest of the colours needed on the props. Oh well.

I used the Minicraft decals for the red and white prop tips on my TWA version. The Minicraft decals respond very well to decal setting solution:

I've decided to do some prop mixing and matching. The Revell engine nacelles are larger than the Minicraft ones, but the Aeroclub props are larger than the Revell ones. Left to right, below: Revell engine with an Aeroclub prop, Minicraft engine with Minicraft prop, Minicraft engine with Aeroclub prop, and Minicraft engine with Revell prop:

The Aeroclub prop looks just right on the larger Revell engine nacelle. This will be the Air France version:

And the Minicraft engine/Revell props will look real spiffy on the National Airline version:

Still to come: some touch up on the props and engine nacelles. Then scratch building some underside radio beacons and fuel dump valves on the Minicraft kits. After that, painting the fuselages!!!
Best...Ted...

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:
Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
Good to see you back... I though you took a loooooooooong Connie vacation

Brilliant work - those props must've tested your patience... not only fixing themagain, but also painting all these colours on such tiny subjects... but it was worth it, the result looks great

I like the Revell engine with the aeroclub prop also the best - very fine work...

Still need to keep your teeth in the subject Ted, but I think the most difficult part is over now .. well, maybe except for painting all the wheels...

* </i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium - <i>who wrote during his Airfix Do-217 build :

Well... just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God !

AZ Model - 1/72 Spitfire Mk.II LR
  Plastic Pics : Part I
Airfix - 1/72 Ilyushin IL-28
  Group Build : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part V - Part VI - Part VII - Part VIII
Airfix - 1/72 Bristol Beaufighter Mk.II (Magna Models conversion)
  Group Build : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV

March 24th, 2010, 3:37 am #5

I finally finished the props tonight - all the decalling, and then touch up's on the paint. This project has been a real test. I've said it before - I bit off more than I can chew. I've got a long way to go yet, but I'm anxious to get it done so I can start on the Airfix 1/24 Spit! I see all the great builds going on over on the Airfix Forum and I'm chomping at the bit to jump in!! Still, I've got to do these Connies right, no matter what it takes! Thanks for your encouragement to keep plugging away at it!
Best...Ted...

WIP Build:
Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4 Connies Pt.5

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

March 25th, 2010, 12:22 pm #6

Best...Ted...

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
Hiya there Ted, good to see your back.I was wondering how the Connies were shaping up, but great updates tell all. Looking really good Mr, very nice WIP. Thanks for your kind comments on my build, had fun adding them lights, but eh,1/72 easy , 1/144 you have got me riveted to my seat looking on.

Very best wishes to you.

Cheers

Gray.

March 26th, 2010, 11:08 pm #7

Best...Ted...

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
I've got 4 of the mini craft under way finally but all mine will be different Models of the USAF Radar birds D,T,G and R Model's that were assigned to the 552ed at McCelland when I was on them in the 70's finally got some super decals for them from Joe Osborne at fireball models he does super decal work,
Hope your all having a great day
Bob in California