3D printing and kits of the future.

3D printing and kits of the future.

June 1st, 2012, 12:59 pm #1

I was watching a documentary about building and manufacturing methods of the future and they covered 3D printing. Now, I know this has been around for several years its becoming more mainstream and it got me to wondering if (or when) it could be applied to kit manufacturing? Sure, mass production isnt in the near future but I cant help but think that someone will attempt it someday. Secondly, Im curious if this type of manufacturing could render the detail and quality required by the model building masses?

Food for thought.

"I may not like what you have to say,but I'm willing to die for your right to say it"

June 1st, 2012, 1:46 pm #2

They are made with 3D drafting and printing. The stuff Roy is doing at Barracuda is also 3D drawn and printed I believe.

June 1st, 2012, 2:48 pm #3

I was watching a documentary about building and manufacturing methods of the future and they covered 3D printing. Now, I know this has been around for several years its becoming more mainstream and it got me to wondering if (or when) it could be applied to kit manufacturing? Sure, mass production isnt in the near future but I cant help but think that someone will attempt it someday. Secondly, Im curious if this type of manufacturing could render the detail and quality required by the model building masses?

Food for thought.

"I may not like what you have to say,but I'm willing to die for your right to say it"
are slow AND the raw material still too $$$ for things like kits. Fine for a prototype (when compared to hand building same) to examine/play with or tweak to use as a master to make rtv molds used to produce multiple resin copies.

Xeroxing a book on your office machine would be slow and $ too compared to modern mass printing of those same pages in Hong Kong.

June 1st, 2012, 5:23 pm #4

Food for thought.

> Borrow a 3D printer
> Print a 3D printer
> Return the 3D printer
> Have a free 3D printer
> ???
> PROFIT!

June 1st, 2012, 7:00 pm #5

They are made with 3D drafting and printing. The stuff Roy is doing at Barracuda is also 3D drawn and printed I believe.
...but I'm not aware he has them rendered by 3D printing. Then, of course, I could be mistaken.

Roy?

He who dies with the most toys wins!!

June 1st, 2012, 7:52 pm #6

Food for thought.

Scotty is still working on my replicator. :) n/t

June 1st, 2012, 9:02 pm #7

...but I'm not aware he has them rendered by 3D printing. Then, of course, I could be mistaken.

Roy?

He who dies with the most toys wins!!
or several then molded with rubber for mucho copies.

June 1st, 2012, 9:56 pm #8

> Borrow a 3D printer
> Print a 3D printer
> Return the 3D printer
> Have a free 3D printer
> ???
> PROFIT!
BRILLIANT!!!!

"The FANS are fighting back!!!"
"The SECURITY GUARDS are fighting back!!!"
"The PEANUT VENDORS are fighting back!!!"

June 2nd, 2012, 1:11 am #9

or several then molded with rubber for mucho copies.

June 2nd, 2012, 5:25 am #10

Food for thought.

Only thing is, the models that are "affordable" - to me, anyway - don't have a large printing base.....somewhere around 140mm x 140mm. It's not big enough to do a full kit, unless the fuselage and wings are divided into smaller sections. The other thing to consider is that the parts are built in steps - around 0.1mm or so, IIRC - which means that there will be some finishing work to do on the part before it is useable. I guess this will improve over time, though, so who knows..