1970 AMC Javelin

1970 AMC Javelin

Chris Cowx
Chris Cowx

May 23rd, 2009, 11:54 pm #1

Before you laugh your posterior off at me, there was such a kit issued as a promotional model by AMT or Jo-Han in 24th scale I believe. I don't think it was ever re-issued but since I am hoping to build it any boxing will do.

I need the body, glass and chassis mainly, though the more complete the better.

I have owned the 1:1 version for 22 years and would love to build a model of it!

Thanks,

Chris

Chris Cowx
Chris Cowx

May 23rd, 2009, 11:55 pm #2

NT

Vernon
Vernon

May 24th, 2009, 2:12 am #3

Before you laugh your posterior off at me, there was such a kit issued as a promotional model by AMT or Jo-Han in 24th scale I believe. I don't think it was ever re-issued but since I am hoping to build it any boxing will do.

I have owned the 1:1 version for 22 years and would love to build a model of it!

Thanks,

Chris
It's a great car!

I once saw a supercar showdown (Muscle Car Review magazine) at a drag strip in southern Kentucky.

Rules were all cars had to be bone stock, they could have headers, and, I think, maybe sticky rear tires.

Superbirds, GTOs, Roadrunners, Chargers, Mustangs, Impala SS 427s you name it, it was there....

The final race that day came down to a 65 GTO with TriPower, and an AMX... the AMX took the show....

In my mind, the AMX is a sawed off Javelin...close enough anyway...the Javelin is a cool car...

Chris Cowx
Chris Cowx

May 24th, 2009, 4:38 am #4

I love my Javelin and am happy to line it up against anything, within reason.

I have had it for years, it is a 390 4 speed car and it carries every performance option available in it's day.

I am hoping for a body to use as a basis for a model. The only kit of the exact body style is the old promo model. I am lucky that I have the reference material, ie the original, in my garage.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris Cowx
Chris Cowx

May 24th, 2009, 4:39 am #5

It appears that my typing is a bit off these days.

Anonymous
Anonymous

May 25th, 2009, 5:49 am #6

maybe the keyboard is dislexic??? (I have the typing skills of an rheeses monkey on acid, and find it helps to blame the keyboard) =:-o

Hope you find a body... I had a Mark Donahue Javelin AMX when I was a kid (May have been an MPC kit) but it's looooong gone...

Snake
Snake

May 25th, 2009, 12:17 pm #7

Thanks,

Chris
Yes, JoHan made Javelin kits and promos 1968 to the end of Javelin production, what, 74 or 75?

All are fairly rare today. JoHan made the 71 and up kits (might have been a '74?) up through the '80s. Those are the most common today and the cheapest, though one will still run you $30 or more. If you get one of these, though, it will give you a lot of parts you need for a '70 project, such as the chassis, engine, glass, and a usable interior (though of course it probably won't be 100% ACCURATE for a '70).

Now on to your '70 project. I've been watching Javelins on eBay for about a year now so I have some ideas of what's going on. '70 kits are extremely rare and promos almost as rare. You can expect to pay well over $100 on eBay for an unbuilt kit, and probably that or even more for a good promo. Promo pricing seems to depend, among other things such as condition, on color.

'69s are just about as rare. I've been chasing a '69 promo for a while and they always slip out of my price range.

But '68s, they're not too bad. Unbuilt kits will still run you a good C-note or more BUT there are quite a few promos around and they go for various prices depending on condition. I've bought several in the last year in less than perfect condition in the $40 price range, some even in the $30 range. So you get a '68 promo, preferably one with bad, broken, or missing chrome to start. Modelhaus sells '70 Javelin front and rear bumpers/grilles, and taillights in resin repro. They also have '70 AMX hoods, which I believe are the same between Javelin and AMX in '70. So now you've got a good basic '70 body. Won't have the correct nameplates and trim and such but it'll be close.

Jimmy Flintstone sells a resin '70 Javelin bare body shell but it is a true Trans Am racer with flared fenders and no emblems.

If you start with a "cheap" distressed promo with usable glass, and you don't mind the one-piece promo (or even friction toy) chassis, you might be able to get this project together in the $60-70 range. If you need a '74 donor kit you can add another $30 at least to that. Or you can watch eBay and wait for a '70 kit or promo and pony up a C-note, or maybe two of them.

Oh, almost forgot, every once in a while a built but restorable kit comes along, too. Depending on how clean and complete it is, those can sell in the $40-$75 range or more.

So it's watch and wait, start saving your nickels and dimes. Good luck with your search!

Chris Cowx
Chris Cowx

May 25th, 2009, 2:15 pm #8

The 68-69 body is the same except for the grill and tail lights. To make it into a 70 would require that you swap the entire grill, hood, headlight buckets, bumper etc. Same for the back end because the tail lights wrap around on the 68/69 whereas they don't on the 70. Depending on what the Moldelhaus parts replace that could be a way to go. It would also require that the entire interior be scratchbuilt since the seats, door panels, dash etc all change. Given what I have seen in old promo/Jo-han/AMT kits that would likely be neccessary anyway.

I do have a Jo-Han SS/AMX kit that I would consider parting out for the engine etc. Is that a valuable kit in itself or is it good fodder for that? I bought it new in about 1990 and it is complete with decals and all.

Thanks very much!

Chris

June 6th, 2009, 1:02 pm #9

'70 unbuilt kit, goes off tomorrow evening. It's already up to $76 which suggests to me that it will go for well over $100 (out of my league, so I won't be bidding against you).

If you buy it and don't need the rear trans-am spoiler, let me know. I'd be interested in buying that from you.

"Don't let us get sick,
Don't let us get old,
Don't let us get stupid, all right?"

--Warren Zevon

"Two out of three ain't bad."

--Meat Loaf (actually Jim Steinman)

Chris Cowx
Chris Cowx

June 8th, 2009, 3:38 am #10

Thanks very much for the heads up! I was camping and I just got in so I
think I have missed it. I did find a guy with a mint in box one for about
$130 or so, and that may be the route I take. I am hoping I may find one not
so mint since I am planning on building it. I have the original for
reference so no one can tell me I am not accurate!

Thanks and if you see another, please do keep me posted,

Chris