1969 Chevelle SS 396 -- Killer Car ...

1969 Chevelle SS 396 -- Killer Car ...

March 26th, 2012, 9:24 pm #1

The summer of 1969, i worked at Ft Benning Ga atop a 12-foot wooden stepladder hanging ventilation ducting, etc for a BOQ renovation. Most weekends i drove home in my 63 Impala to Pensacola, Fl. I often stopped in the old Oyster Bar on Navy Blvd when it was no larger than a semi trailer for a Lowenbrau Dark beer !!

One friday nite, some fellows were in there challenging each other about how fast they could get to Dead Man's Curve bridge on Gulf Beach Highway. One had a 69 convertible SS 396 and said he could make it in something like 5 or 6 minutes, i think.

Saturdays news brought the sad report of four deaths at Dead Man's Curve the night before -- all in the SS 396.

There were many other fatal accidents in the SS 396. I suspect that more people died in that car than in the "Unsafe at Any Speed" Corvair that propelled Ralph Nader to national fame.

Drive safetly, George

March 26th, 2012, 9:30 pm #2

when I was in High School in 1969 was a blue SS396 hard top, the owner was a kid named Ron and we called him 396 Ron. Damn fast car! I lived in North Dallas then and there was a whole lotta street racing on Friday and Saturday nights.

March 26th, 2012, 9:49 pm #3

It sure was n.t

March 26th, 2012, 9:49 pm #4

when I was in High School in 1969 was a blue SS396 hard top, the owner was a kid named Ron and we called him 396 Ron. Damn fast car! I lived in North Dallas then and there was a whole lotta street racing on Friday and Saturday nights.
n.t
Last edited by audiguy on March 26th, 2012, 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 26th, 2012, 10:06 pm #5

The summer of 1969, i worked at Ft Benning Ga atop a 12-foot wooden stepladder hanging ventilation ducting, etc for a BOQ renovation. Most weekends i drove home in my 63 Impala to Pensacola, Fl. I often stopped in the old Oyster Bar on Navy Blvd when it was no larger than a semi trailer for a Lowenbrau Dark beer !!

One friday nite, some fellows were in there challenging each other about how fast they could get to Dead Man's Curve bridge on Gulf Beach Highway. One had a 69 convertible SS 396 and said he could make it in something like 5 or 6 minutes, i think.

Saturdays news brought the sad report of four deaths at Dead Man's Curve the night before -- all in the SS 396.

There were many other fatal accidents in the SS 396. I suspect that more people died in that car than in the "Unsafe at Any Speed" Corvair that propelled Ralph Nader to national fame.

Drive safetly, George
Hugger Orange (I think it was called Monaco Orange on anything but a Camaro, and '69 Pontiac Carousel Red is actually the same color) with a black gut. Just have to put the decals on it and put it together. All the hard work is done.

I built one exactly like it in high school, except that one has a black vinyl top. I still have it. Will be interesting to display the two together to show the improvement over the years.

Steel cuts flesh. Steel cuts bone. Steel does not cut steel. --Stephen Hunter, The 47th Samurai.

We will march on a road of bones. --Hunter S. Thompson.

Sat Cong!

March 26th, 2012, 11:21 pm #6

Drive safetly, George
chances are that most would have been ejected........

"The FANS are fighting back!!!"
"The SECURITY GUARDS are fighting back!!!"
"The PEANUT VENDORS are fighting back!!!"

March 26th, 2012, 11:24 pm #7

Drive safetly, George
Then the road curves. OTOH the 69 Chevelle SS396 was my favorite muscle car of those that didn't have FORD on the front end.

Tank: So what do you need? Besides a miracle.
Neo: Guns. Lots of guns.

March 26th, 2012, 11:55 pm #8

Drive safetly, George
Sports Coupe. 350, 4 BBL, dual exhaust, 400 Turbo tranny, 2:56 rear end. Not much off the line, but she would bury the peg in a heartbeat. Plenty enough power for me. At high speed she would get very light on her feet and you aimed and corrected as necessary. I wouldn't want to think of the the power to weight ratio of the SS 396. Just a tad overpowered, but that is how they built them back then.

Crossed Nevada at 125-130 MPH in 1970 on my way to Guam. What a ride!!

Mark E. Young, Jr.
MSgt, USAF (Ret)

KC-135A - Built When Man Thought He Could Burn Water

March 27th, 2012, 3:10 am #9

Then the road curves. OTOH the 69 Chevelle SS396 was my favorite muscle car of those that didn't have FORD on the front end.

Tank: So what do you need? Besides a miracle.
Neo: Guns. Lots of guns.
http://www.historictransam.com/HistoricPhotos.html

http://www.trans-amseries.com/

L'avion accuse ... Le Corbusier

March 27th, 2012, 3:15 am #10

Drive safetly, George
...in my opinion, with maybe the exception of the Challenger. It's probably good I've never owned one.

I drove a friend's souped-up Chevelle SS 454 a couple of times. Four-speed manual transmission with an impossibly strong clutch and no power steering. It was an absolute beast to drive, but once you got it going, oh man...

I probably survived my teen years because my dad had the good sense to help me buy a VW Beetle (which I paid him back for). Slow but steady...

Cheers,

Lee G.