1967-68(?) REVELL record about Zero...states "bamboo and rice paper"

1967-68(?) REVELL record about Zero...states "bamboo and rice paper"

July 12th, 2012, 1:47 pm #1

Attributed to 'vets', that the Zero was made from "bamboo and rice paper".

Now I find that those vets may have been partially correct. The wood used in the antenna mast and in the back up support to the metal in flaps, etc, was made of "Kashi (oak)".

Cheers,
David Aiken

July 12th, 2012, 4:13 pm #2

David -

Besides usual western bias, I suspect that one source for this rumour would be an examination of recovered drop tanks. Some, indeed, were made from bamboo.

FWIW

- Grant
IPMS Toronto

Last edited by GrantGoodale on July 12th, 2012, 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 12th, 2012, 4:20 pm #3

...about the Zero's lack of armor.

July 12th, 2012, 4:22 pm #4

Its in the same vein as calling the Betty a Type 11 lighter

Japanese stuff burned and burned good when hit.

July 12th, 2012, 4:26 pm #5

Now I find that those vets may have been partially correct. The wood used in the antenna mast and in the back up support to the metal in flaps, etc, was made of "Kashi (oak)".

Cheers,
David Aiken
were made of wood, it's non conductive. As far as bamboo drop tanks, what's the diff with paper mache drop tanks, whatever works. As said elsewhere, that original statement was based on wartime propaganda, which worked overtime to debase the abilities of the enemy. After the original spate of victories, a lot of folks regarded the japanese as super soldiers. Hal

July 12th, 2012, 4:42 pm #6

Cheers,
David Aiken
IIRC there was another for the REVELL Ju-88 that came out about the same time.

July 12th, 2012, 4:58 pm #7

Cheers,
David Aiken
bamboo used in the main structure! Each of the top hat stringer sections that connect the frames to the skin are filled with and glued to a strip of bamboo.

July 12th, 2012, 5:05 pm #8

Cheers,
David Aiken
They must have seen this Zero.

Jun from Tokyo

July 12th, 2012, 5:21 pm #9

Cheers,
David Aiken
A certain WW II twin-engined fighter/bomber/reconnaissance aircraft from de Havilland comes to mind.

I'm not really a pompous ***; I just play one on HyperScale!

Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, Texas
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
CAHS #5646
Carrollton, TX

Proud IPMS-USA Low Number Thumper!

July 12th, 2012, 5:28 pm #10

Cheers,
David Aiken
...amphibious pedal bomber:

The originality of Japanese aircraft design was never in question after the Shirley wobbled onto the scene, albeit briefly, in the closing months of the Pacific war. This light (75 lbs.), cheap ($1.49), last-ditch gesture of a desperate Japanese High Command was in fact little more than a bicycle of the air, its propeller turned by pedal power from the pilot. Towed behind a torpedo boat, the Shirley would sooner or later rise and fumble skyward, staying aloft exactly as long as its pilot's stamina held out and his sprocket chain stayed intact. Hopefully, a U.S. ship would soon be sighted; then, braving massive ack-ack fire as well as large birds, the fanatic suicide candidate at the controls, or handle bars, aimed toward his quarry and pumped furiously until directly overhead. Then, at the flick of a lever, the under slung wicker basket fell away and hit the deck below-and one rabid dog was disgorged to run amuck and wreak its mad havoc. The ravening animal, it was assumed, would take a few Yanks with it by the time the end came. Ingenious-but not ingenious enough; the dogs proved susceptible to seasickness en route to the target and every known Shirley mission ended in anticlimax with a dazed mutt vomiting among the gobs while a paper airplane slowly sank off the starboard bow.

You gotta love Bruce McCall.....