100mm ish figures

100mm ish figures

March 13th, 2008, 8:42 am #1

Does anyone know of a manufacturer who makes 100 or 120mm figures that look something like a Chindit 1942 era. and also a figure of the same size that can be modified to like like a ceremonial Oxford and Bucks Light Infantryman on parade circa 1940.

I have been looking and struggling. Surely there must be something out there that can fit the bill?

Heres to wishful thinking.

March 13th, 2008, 1:29 pm #2

100mm isnt the most common figure scale. Traditional and common scales are 54mm, 75mm, 90mm and in recent years 120mm. Nowdays you see very very few 90mm or 75mm figures compared to either 54mm or 120mm. You ocassionally see some 200mm or 1/9 figures.

March 13th, 2008, 2:58 pm #3

120mm is/was a popular scale, but, at this point, it is waning. It was never really popular in europe, from what I have read. You are beginning to see a resurgence of 90mm figures, which are about as big as will sell well in europe, where many figure painters have display issues. (It is hard to comprehend for a US American that a 120mm figure takes up alot of space, but, I have had many people say they don't have the room to display the 120's).

As far as 100mm, the only one who uses this size is Miichael Roberts, but, he doesn't have any chindits, his line is mainly US ACW. I do know that Model Alliance out of Singapore(?) does a Digger in 120mm. I will keep a weather eye out, but, I would suggest that you may wish to go to www.timelinesforums.com, and ask the folks there. Some great people, and some great knowledge over there. If something IS out there, someone over there will know.

MarcosMantula
MarcosMantula

March 13th, 2008, 11:02 pm #4

Does anyone know of a manufacturer who makes 100 or 120mm figures that look something like a Chindit 1942 era. and also a figure of the same size that can be modified to like like a ceremonial Oxford and Bucks Light Infantryman on parade circa 1940.

I have been looking and struggling. Surely there must be something out there that can fit the bill?

Heres to wishful thinking.

The reason I want two figures about 4 to 5 inches high is a personal one.

My father was a Chindit. He was also in the Oxford and Bucks. I only found out he was a Chindit after he died last year. I was proud of my father anyway, knowing he served in Burma throughout the war, was one thing, now knowing he went through hell and survived and was by and large a humble man is all the more staggering.

I have very little in the way of memories or personal effects to remind me of him. So I thought two figurines depicting a soldier in the dress of the day would represent my father nicely and could be seen and displayed to good effect at home. Hence my search.

I am even prepared to have someone do the work for me, as I don't seem able to find any figurines that come close. I know some talented modellers can hack about and modify almost anything, but I have never done this sort of thing before.

So if you know of anyone who either makes figurines of this sort of size or knows anyone who is prepared to do a commission then please let me know.

Regards

David Lewis
David Lewis

March 13th, 2008, 11:07 pm #5

Marcos Mantula is me. Its also the car I own.

I'll get used to this forum eventually. ;0)

March 17th, 2008, 7:27 pm #6

The reason I want two figures about 4 to 5 inches high is a personal one.

My father was a Chindit. He was also in the Oxford and Bucks. I only found out he was a Chindit after he died last year. I was proud of my father anyway, knowing he served in Burma throughout the war, was one thing, now knowing he went through hell and survived and was by and large a humble man is all the more staggering.

I have very little in the way of memories or personal effects to remind me of him. So I thought two figurines depicting a soldier in the dress of the day would represent my father nicely and could be seen and displayed to good effect at home. Hence my search.

I am even prepared to have someone do the work for me, as I don't seem able to find any figurines that come close. I know some talented modellers can hack about and modify almost anything, but I have never done this sort of thing before.

So if you know of anyone who either makes figurines of this sort of size or knows anyone who is prepared to do a commission then please let me know.

Regards
I would recommend Alan Ball. You can get in touch with him through the website www.timelinesforums.com

David Lewis
David Lewis

March 21st, 2008, 1:28 am #7

If these are all Alan Balls work then he really is passionate about his work.

http://www.mb-miniatures.com/port/

I'll drop him a line in the morning.

Cheers.

Dave Lewis

March 22nd, 2008, 2:17 am #8

His wife, Marion is an exquisite painter, and they are both wonderful people.